Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Being a "Lady of Leisure"

Being a "Lady of Leisure"

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being a "Lady of Leisure"

Not that I am usually fond of my checking account being emptied out but today it made me happy! After them bouncing everything back with rejection notices because I included the biometrics check with the AOS application check, they have cashed all the checks for the AOS package ... one step closer to being back to work!

The novelty of not working certainly wore off quickly, and it makes me laugh to think of how many times I was envious of friends who didn't work and would dream about having some time out! The reality is somewhat different - concsious of having a mortgage AND rent on the apt (worked out cheaper to keep paying rent than terminate the lease early) I am reluctant to spend too much money and found it all too easy to lose motivation for all the things I planned to do during this period and turned into a grumpy old moan the last couple of weeks, lol.

I sure will be glad to be back to work and earning again - still no receipt from USCIS but maybe in today's mail And what's with the Benefits Center processing times - they haven't moved in forever!

Ah well, off to see what I can clean now, and which crappy daytime TV show to watch
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:17 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Being a "Lady of Leisure"

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Not that I am usually fond of my checking account being emptied out but today it made me happy! After them bouncing everything back with rejection notices because I included the biometrics check with the AOS application check, they have cashed all the checks for the AOS package ... one step closer to being back to work!

The novelty of not working certainly wore off quickly, and it makes me laugh to think of how many times I was envious of friends who didn't work and would dream about having some time out! The reality is somewhat different - concsious of having a mortgage AND rent on the apt (worked out cheaper to keep paying rent than terminate the lease early) I am reluctant to spend too much money and found it all too easy to lose motivation for all the things I planned to do during this period and turned into a grumpy old moan the last couple of weeks, lol.

I sure will be glad to be back to work and earning again - still no receipt from USCIS but maybe in today's mail And what's with the Benefits Center processing times - they haven't moved in forever!

Ah well, off to see what I can clean now, and which crappy daytime TV show to watch

I remember those days. I think I spent a lot of time remodelling the house and cutting down a few big trees (and burning the bits in a big bbq pit). It is good to get back to work!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
It is good to get back to work!
you're all mad..work ffs, Noooooooooooo
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember those days. I think I spent a lot of time remodelling the house and cutting down a few big trees (and burning the bits in a big bbq pit). It is good to get back to work!
Yep, you know those little stripey marks on the carpet when you vacuum? I have lots of those little nice stripes. In fact they match. In the same direction too.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:28 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lesley1020

I was a lady of leisure for close to a year!! Drove me insane. There's only so much daytime tv and housework you can do.

I always wanted time off before but never again. Unless it's to travel the world or something!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I was a lady of leisure for close to a year!! Drove me insane. There's only so much daytime tv and housework you can do.

I always wanted time off before but never again. Unless it's to travel the world or something!

Count yourselves lucky.

It was 3.5 years for me... :scared:

Bloody USCIS red tape nonsense
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Yes being a Lady Of Leisure.....Sucks !!
Three years ago I was working for the NHS in the UK,I slipped getting out of the bath, and broke my hand very badly.
I had four ops in the space of six months.All useless,so I got medical retirement.
We moved to Tampa last November,and after the first rush of being busy wears off, you find yourself with lots of time on your hands....LOL, excuse the pun Redlobster
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey

Its nice to get back. It's not nice to stay
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Its nice to get back. It's not nice to stay
thats more like it! LOL..
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:53 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by woodsey

I'm with you! They're all bloody mad!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I'm with you! They're all bloody mad!

I find that rather sad - when people don't enjoy their work.

I like what I do - in moderation, naturellement
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira

It is sad that we have to spend 5 days working to afford 2 days of fun. I could never think of what I wanted to do, and when I did I realised the pay was too crappy Its always a means to an end for me.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:08 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Actually, I do like what I do - for the most part. I'd just rather be doing something else that's all.

I like taking a dump, but it's not what I want to do 40 hours a week.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

after working in a dole office for 13 years I'll be happy being 'bored' ( ) at home for the rest of my life thanks..although I could maybe cope with being, maybe a florist of one of thse twatty interior designers on the TV..
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:10 pm
Homebody

It is sad that we have to spend 5 days working to afford 2 days of fun. I could never think of what I wanted to do, and when I did I realised the pay was too crappy Its always a means to an end for me.

So are you saying that you decided to do a job you hate for molto $$$...

Instead of a job you'd like to do for poco $?

Is it worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.