Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

behind-the-wheel driving test with a rental car

behind-the-wheel driving test with a rental car

Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: behind-the-wheel driving test with a rental car

I know a colleague couldn't take his test because he had a rental car with our corporate deal where they don't include CDW/ALI - we have separate insurance for that which isn't visible in the contract. I believe Avis can be difficult about driving tests in general, while I know several people who have used Enterprise's cars for test.

This is in California over the last couple of years.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

thekettlewitch will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Explanation, please ;-)

Jim
^ this. I mean what is with that pedal thing? I have been lucky with my rentals so far in that they seem to travel several yards before they start screaming at me because the brake is on and I spend several surreal moments grabbing to my right to release the handbrake.

(Then junior witch reminds me it's a pedal). Never gonna pass my test in that car.:embar rassed_smile:
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure everything works on the rental.

I did not - and only found out the horn did not work when I had to demonstrate it before we left the test centre.

Of course because I had a defect on the car the examiner would would not continue with the test.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Leah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of light

I need to take mine soon but my insurance is via work (much cheaper) so I don't actually have my name on it as its a block policy I suppose for all employees driving for business (we have a large population of field based employees who use rental cars).

My theory test is Weds so I guess I may even have bought a car by time the practical comes around as I have my rental for another three weeks.

I have another, slightly off topic question though. I've finally got my credit card through so I can start building credit history. Would there be any value in keeping my rental car on for another month to allow me to build a better credit score (as I have 0 credit right now), or should I just accept it won't be a great deal regardless? I'm not sure whether a month of credit history will make much difference?

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leah326
I need to take mine soon but my insurance is via work (much cheaper) so I don't actually have my name on it as its a block policy I suppose for all employees driving for business (we have a large population of field based employees who use rental cars).

My theory test is Weds so I guess I may even have bought a car by time the practical comes around as I have my rental for another three weeks.

I have another, slightly off topic question though. I've finally got my credit card through so I can start building credit history. Would there be any value in keeping my rental car on for another month to allow me to build a better credit score (as I have 0 credit right now), or should I just accept it won't be a great deal regardless? I'm not sure whether a month of credit history will make much difference?

Thanks
Car rental, apartment rental, utility bills, etc. only report negative results to the credit bureaus therefore you don't build your credit history or credit score. Credit card companies, lenders, etc. report both positive and negative transactions monthly to the credit bureaus so that is the way to build credit history and score.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:53 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Do you mean will a months worth of credit history help you in getting a better deal to finance a car? The answer to that is no. It probably won't get reported in time and the biggest issue you'll face is that you won't have 2 years or so of credit history and a month or two won't affect that in the slightest. If you have a healthy deposit (say 20%) for the car, you should be able to finance it but the rate won't be great. Good to get the card early. I waited 6 months or so before getting one a regretted it.

Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Leah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I'm spending on my credit card and paying it off again to slowly start building credit, but if having the rental for a further month so I have more time to use my credit card won't make a difference then I may as well just get the car soon and try to put a deposit down. Cheers for the advice.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I'm spending on my credit card and paying it off again to slowly start building credit, but if having the rental for a further month so I have more time to use my credit card won't make a difference then I may as well just get the car soon and try to put a deposit down. Cheers for the advice.
If you get your own car through a lender, that will start to build your credit history and score.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:33 am
Just Joined

siliconpete is an unknown quantity at this point

I went for my behind-the-wheel test at the DMV today and passed easily. Had no problem using my rental car, the only thing they wanted to see was paperwork with my name on along with a record of the license plate of the car.

A few tips if anyone is in a similar situation, remember to learn your hand signals. Its funny they ask you those rather than do some more actual manoeuvres.

No parallel parking required, only thing they asked was to pull aside and reverse the car for a few car lengths. Make sure you completely stop at stop signs. Lost one point for slowing down on an intersection where I had right of way, in other words don't drive too defensive.

The other obvious thing is to make sure to keep within the speed limit, really need to watch it because the majority of traffic will likely be driving at least 10mph over.

I've got my interim license now which is good for 60 days, does anyone know approximately how long it takes to get your actual license in the mail?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siliconpete
I went for my behind-the-wheel test at the DMV today and passed easily. ....
Congratulations, I suppose. Though it isn't exactly a substantial level of achievement, and as someone else said in the past couple of days, a cabbage could pass!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:58 am
Just Joined

lol exactly, its disconcerting how limited your driving skills need to be to be let out on the road here. I lost one point and you can make up to 15 (?!) of these minor mistakes and still pass.

If by some strange cosmological alignment I happened to fail would've been very embarrassing.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:41 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

lol exactly, its disconcerting how limited your driving skills need to be to be let out on the road here. I lost one point and you can make up to 15 (?!) of these minor mistakes and still pass.

If by some strange cosmological alignment I happened to fail would've been very embarrassing.
I lost a few points.... but they were for following UK rules - for example, there was a big railway crossing sign on the road with a solid white line at the "top" and "bottom" - it's ingrained in me not to cross a solid white line unless my exit is clear, as it was in stopped traffic, I left a gap and stayed behind the white line. I was deducted for that for leaving too big of a gap. Also, i DIDN"T move into the cycle lane when turning right, and I was deducted for that too, as apparently in California, you're supposed to move close to the corner and into the bike lane ??
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I was deducted for that too, as apparently in California, you're supposed to move close to the corner and into the bike lane ??
yes, that's true - seems incredibly unsafe though and have seen a few near misses.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes, that's true - seems incredibly unsafe though and have seen a few near misses.
Maybe because I am used to it but it seems safer to me to ease into the bike line before the turn. When easing into the lane, I can look to see if bikes are coming but if I turn across the bike lane at the corner, I would think it would only be safe if I came to a complete stop before I made the turn to make sure that a bike wasn't coming. And if I did hit him, I'd rather bump him with the side of my car instead of him running into my car.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 11th 2013 at 4:14 am.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Maybe because I am used to it but it seems safer to me to ease into the bike line before the turn. ......
What's the point of even having a bike lane if drivers are then required to drive in it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.