Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beginnigng Process

Beginnigng Process

Old Dec 29th 2001, 10:43 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 16
Deanjay has a spectacular aura aboutDeanjay has a spectacular aura aboutDeanjay has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,
I just started processing the paperwork, and I have heard all sorts of stories from many different sources...but as I understand the process, here it is, and anyone tell me if I'm on the right track.
I'm an F1 student, and my wife of 4 months now is a citizen. we are starting to file the paperwork, and we've been told it's in 3 parts. 1."AOS" 2.Employment Authorization 3.Travel Autorization. I will try to break it down as it has been done for me.

Forms: 130, 485, 325 [For both of us], 864, 9003 and 693[Medical].
Docs: 2 Passport pictures[for both], W2 1998-2000[For her], Birth Cert[for both], Marriage cert, Copy of Visa [for me].

Now I have been told that you dont have to send in the Tax return with the rest of the paperwork, but that you need it for the interview. Same thing for the Medical exam papers. Is this true? What are otehr people's experiences? We went to IRS yesterday to try to get the "transcript," but the officials claim that the computers are being updated and will be for the next 2 weeks. Should we wait till they are done, get the transcripts and send them, or is this truly something we can do at another time.

2. Employment Auth
Form and Passport pics
Approxamately how long does it take befroe you receive the EAD?

3. Travel Auth
Form and Pics
Is the travel authorization the same thinf as "Advance Parole"? Neither of us plan to travel for a long time, and by the time we would need to or have time to travel, it would be at least a year or 2 from now. By which I have heard that the AOS is completed [typically] by then. And if not, can the application be made then?

What about fingerprints? I know a new fingerprinting station was just opened in Grand Rapids where we live, so would we go there, pay and do it closer to the interview or when they are requested, or would we send in the fee to INS now with the rest of the package?

Will having kids affect our AOS?

Last thing is I have not taken a full credit load for over 6 months, so I guess I am out of status. Do I have to write a specific letter explaining this, or else, is there anywhere else where it should be explicitly stated, or should the INS only be given such information on a "need to know" basis?

Also, what is "selective service?" and does singning up for it increase one's chances?

Other pertinent information is: We're filing in Detroit, Mi and I did enter legally as F1 in december 1998. Other than that, I guess that's it.

From what I understand, this paperwork gets sent in, and over the next few months to the next few decades, we'll get mail from INS, but for now, are we missing anything?

I know this is a long messge, and I have asked some of these questions before, but I am just not clear yet. Although the process is long and complicated and poeple get papers lost in transit and etc, I know it's possible to get this right on first try; and thats' what we're shooting for.

Any definitive advice/ info would help.
Deanjay is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2001, 12:10 am
Alvena Ferreira
Posts: n/a

See the "tourist adjustment" portion of the Doc Steen site for a review of forms. You
will need tax returns or transcripts, wait until you have those, as they and the
employer letter are needed for the I-864 affidavit of support. The last experience
for the EAD quoted 90 days...your mileage may vary. You do not have to file for
advance parole if you do not want to. You are not technically out of status if your
I-94 from the F1 states "d/s" on it, but it wouldnt' make any difference anyway,
because a US citizen is allowed to request the AOS of a spouse, as long as the spouse
originally entered the US legally. If you are a male under the age of 26, I think you
have to sign up for selective service, it is the law: http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm I
think you can also sign up online at that site above. Having children is a positive
finding for your marriage being bona fide. They will assign you an appointment for
the fingerprinting, i would send the fee. File in person if you can (if it's not too
far to travel), because they will check your docs when you see the desk officer, and
it helps to get things rolling a bit quicker. If it is too far to reasonably travel,
you can mail it in. Alvena
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.