Beer

Old Dec 11th 2009, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Thanks all... I'll go and have a poke around in Specs. Didn't want to go getting hundreds of bottles of something horrible and I don't have time to taste them all... then again... no harm in trying.

I'll bite the bullet and go for a ton of the six packs... Thank goodness for all those glass recycling facilities we've found...
Shiner Bock is good
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you want cheap booze that's decent, Trader Joes have quite a few decent brews going.

Magic Hat do some nice holiday bottles too.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very rare to get Cask Conditioned beer in the US, and to be honest the odd occasion I have found it, I would not bother.It simply is not practical as a product in the US.

I could probably name 20 decent breweries in Colorado, I would be surprised if Texas does not have a few. And pretty much all styles covered, just remember the names can be misleading, English style ales usually are not, but they can still be worth drinking.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:02 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I could probably name 20 decent breweries in Colorado,
And Coors isn't one of them.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

It is very rare to get Cask Conditioned beer in the US, and to be honest the odd occasion I have found it, I would not bother.
I don't know mate, two of the three places here in Denver that I have tried have had some pretty good cask conditioned ales on the rotators: Wynkoop and Rock Bottom-- the worst, ironically, was Pint's Pub.

I could probably name 20 decent breweries in Colorado
I agree, Colorado has lots of great brewers and I am rarely disappointed trying something new each time I venture out.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leyther
I don't know mate, two of the three places here in Denver that I have tried have had some pretty good cask conditioned ales on the rotators: Wynkoop and Rock Bottom-- the worst, ironically, was Pint's Pub.

I agree, Colorado has lots of great brewers and I am rarely disappointed trying something new each time I venture out.
Left Hand had a barrel taped the other day on the bar, they said it was a firkin, looked a lot smaller

What is a rotator?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

What is a rotator?
Rotator is just the tap that a bar uses to offer up a different selection of beer throughout the year. Many places will have the same five or six beers on tap all year around, some bars will rotate these beers to provide a better selection.

Quite a number of places in Denver have rotational beers: Old Chicago, Pearl Street, Hansons and Rock Bottom to name a few. Fall and winter is my favorite time of year for seasonal ales with many places in the city offering 2Below, Hibernation, Isolation, Never Summer, Jubelale and Snow Bound ale
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:37 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you can't find 10 good US brews within 10 minutes of your house you either live in the middle of nowhere, a dry county or are blind.
This is why I'm always surprised at the number of "I can't find good beer" threads on this site.

Also, the age old old saying is true, you g et what you pay for. Expect to pay about $7-10 a 6-pack of good beer or around $15 for a 12-pack.
I've never understood people who refuse to pay for better beer because of the price. Bud costs about $6.50 a sixer. A good beer like (the aforementioned)Abita Turbodog is about $8.50. Is spending $2 more a six pack really all that outrageous? Unless you're drinking a twelve pack (In which case you need help), the difference is completely negligible.

Also, microbrews generally start at 6% ABV, you don't need to drink as much to get tanked... more for your money.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is why I'm always surprised at the number of "I can't find good beer" threads on this site.
I think it's a case of large grocery stores not stocking them when they sell booze so you've got to go out of your way...that and the large brand stuff is shite and your left to try a whole range of micro stuff which is a pain when your going out for a quick drink after work type of thing.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Also, microbrews generally start at 6% ABV, you don't need to drink as much to get tanked... more for your money.
Although it seems that the concept of session beers is slowly catching on - there are a few good ones springing up.

(Said he with the 10% Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout in his fridge...)
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
Although it seems that the concept of session beers is slowly catching on - there are a few good ones springing up.

(Said he with the 10% Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout in his fridge...)
Haha, I have that on Draught at my Restaurant, ridiculously easy to drink for 10%!! Stone's Cali-Belgique is a great Belgian Style IPA if you can find it. I have that on Draught too!

I don't see Falling Rock mentioned by the Denver inhabitants, great pub with the most fantastic beers. I didn't think Wynkoop beers were that fantastic. The place itself was nice, and the food was okay for pub style. I was in Boulder last Jan for my birthday treat, managed about 10 breweries in 5 days. I don't think my wife will do that for my birthday again!!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Floridared
I don't see Falling Rock mentioned by the Denver inhabitants,
I used to head to this place when I went downtown because no doubt they have a great selection (70+ on tap) of beer; however they seem to fail to clean out their lines on some of their less popular ales and thus a lot of the selection is undrinkable, and the less said about their shoddy service, the better

If I am going to pay downtown/LoDo prices for a beer then I am a little more picky about where I spend my hard earned and thus I need great service as well as good beer.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leyther
Rotator is just the tap that a bar uses to offer up a different selection of beer throughout the year. Many places will have the same five or six beers on tap all year around, some bars will rotate these beers to provide a better selection.

Quite a number of places in Denver have rotational beers: Old Chicago, Pearl Street, Hansons and Rock Bottom to name a few. Fall and winter is my favorite time of year for seasonal ales with many places in the city offering 2Below, Hibernation, Isolation, Never Summer, Jubelale and Snow Bound ale
Jubelale sold at Costco .... well in Oregon anyway.
Just tried a Falalala..... from Double Mountain in Hood River - very good!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Ok... my parents and are visiting for Christmas and my Dad is a real ale fan. If he was to drink lager, he would drink the stronger tasting stuff eg original Lowenbrau, sometimes Leffe, Grolsch at worst. Has anybody found any American stuff that tastes vaguely good?

We have a Specs nearby that sells all the good stuff but it tends to be a bit pricey in the six packs. Given the quantity we'll be putting away over Christmas, I'd like to be getting some big packs if possible. Has anybody found an American or Mexican brand that has a decent bit of flavour?

Cheers!

Doug.

My local Liqour Store carries Tetley's and Boddingtons with the Draughtflow Systems. It's about $6 for a 4-Pack of 20oz cans. I try and avoid the normal Gnat's Piss that's served up here, when I can.

I have just returned to the US, from 10 days in the UK, where I nailed as much Real Ale as I could. Very Tasty!

Jim.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
My local Liqour Store carries Tetley's and Boddingtons with the Draughtflow Systems. It's about $6 for a 4-Pack of 20oz cans. I try and avoid the normal Gnat's Piss that's served up here, when I can.

Jim.
There are a lot of UK beers on sale here, from Strongbow and WoodPecker, to Boddies, Carlsberg, Newcastle and various offerings from Fuller's-- however I usually find the price to be ridiculous: $9 for 4 cans of Strongbow, $6 for 4 Boddies etc-- for that price I would rather get a 6 pack of decent local stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.