Beer

Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer

Originally Posted by Leyther
I also purchased an ESB called "Bitch Creek" by Grand Teton
Good choice. Grand Teton makes some good beers, there sweetgrass IPA is good as well. I'm a big fan of the flavor and aroma of the hop centennial and they use a lot of them in the ESB!

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Jan 1st 2010 at 3:17 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
I'm guessing with a name like yours, you could be leaning towards a Scotsman? Which would explain your fondness of good whiskey. Do you like Glenmorangie? I have several bottles of theirs, the Sherry Oak aged, the Port Oak aged, and the Nectar D'or, great SM's, and of course, I haven't had a Macallan I haven't enjoyed!!
Scottish down the line but I wouldn't really claim to be! I do like Glenmorangie but my heart lies on Islay and Orkney.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Scottish down the line but I wouldn't really claim to be! I do like Glenmorangie but my heart lies on Islay and Orkney.
We thought we had Scottish ancestry untill my Mother did a family tree. She was a Milne, and my Grandfather Alexander Milne. She found out the Milnes came over from Ireland with our Marneys and Sullivans. Could be Scots that went to Ireland in the 1500's but haven't got that far back yet. There are so many Single Malts to choose from, and they can be very expensive. I'm a beer drinker foremost, then red wine, then Port, then SM. Can you see a graph going up in cost? Haha!!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Good choice. Grand Teton makes some good beers, there sweetgrass IPA is good as well. I'm a big fan of the flavor and aroma of the hop centennial and they use a lot of them in the ESB!
The Bitch Creek went down a treat, and at a little over $6 a pack, I will certainly be picking more of that up. I will look for their sweetgrass IPA when I am there, and give that a try also.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Leyther
The Bitch Creek went down a treat, and at a little over $6 a pack, I will certainly be picking more of that up. I will look for their sweetgrass IPA when I am there, and give that a try also.
Well what would you know, one of the local liquor stores carried the Sweetgrass and I picked up a sixer today. I would almost compare it to Avery's IPA, in that it is a very balanced and smooth, and at 6.5%, it is very drinkable. In fact, it is going down a treat while watching Broncos. The only negative is that I only bought a six-pack
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Scots v Germans.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_ne...st/8517607.stm

A controversial Scottish brewery has said it has reclaimed the title of the world's strongest beer from German rivals - with Sink the Bismarck at 41%.

BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, made headlines last year when it unveiled a 32% beer called Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

However, Schorschbrau released the 40% strength Schorschbock.

BrewDog said its newly released 41%, Sink the Bismarck, would cost £40 for a 330ml bottle and would only be sold online.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Yep you're right. They are along the coast from where I live. They have one called 'trashy blonde' which is quite good.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
Yep you're right. They are along the coast from where I live. They have one called 'trashy blonde' which is quite good.
We have a "Brewhouse" and restaurant in Tucson where they serve Brewhouse Blonde and Nutty Brewnette. I think the latter one refers to the taste and not the mental capacity of brunettes.

Last edited by Zonie; Feb 16th 2010 at 11:07 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
Scots v Germans.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_ne...st/8517607.stm

A controversial Scottish brewery has said it has reclaimed the title of the world's strongest beer from German rivals - with Sink the Bismarck at 41%.

BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, made headlines last year when it unveiled a 32% beer called Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

However, Schorschbrau released the 40% strength Schorschbock.

BrewDog said its newly released 41%, Sink the Bismarck, would cost £40 for a 330ml bottle and would only be sold online.
Complete style over substance - the pair of kids that run that place are right tossers IMHO. Some of their beer is good, a fair amount is crap, and those gimmicky beers are just that - nothing anybody would ever drink bar for the novelty value.

They also aren't shy about making nobby (and inflammatory) statements in the press about their fellow UK brewers. The UK beer scene wouldn't even notice if they were gone.

Rant over.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about beer really, but enjoy it occasionally. My husband is happy to try out the various local (ish) beers, these are the ones frequently found in our fridge.

Here's a Mississippi beer that we like though I've only tasted the Southern Pecan, it's really nice I think.

We tried some Abita on our first visit to New Orleans, I like their raspberry wheat beer best.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:18 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Samples of the current stuff in my fridge.

Left to right:
Founders Russian Imperial Stout (already mentioned in this thread)- amazing stout. I usually have some of this around.
Southern Tier "Oat" Oatmeal Stout - haven't tried it, given to me. Heard it's really good.
Green Flash West Coast IPA- a God amongst California IPAs. Not your typical hop bomb.
Chimay Blue - a classic. The third of three bottles I had. The other two I gave away...
Abita Turbodog (already mentioned...)- a sessionable brown ale that's been around for a while. Again, I typically have a six pack of this as it's fairly cheap and great with dinner.
Shiner Smokehaus- blerg, it's rauchbier. Again, given to me. Probably need to trash this one...

I just finished the Bell's Best Brown Ale I had. That's a really nice brown ale, highly recommended.

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 17th 2010 at 4:22 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hiro, you make me thirsty with your photograph.

Originally Posted by tonrob
Complete style over substance - the pair of kids that run that place are right tossers IMHO. Some of their beer is good, a fair amount is crap, and those gimmicky beers are just that - nothing anybody would ever drink bar for the novelty value.

They also aren't shy about making nobby (and inflammatory) statements in the press about their fellow UK brewers. The UK beer scene wouldn't even notice if they were gone.

Rant over.
I wouldn't drink it at 41% and £40 a pop! I do like their humour in the name Sink the Bismarck though. Reminds me of Spitfire Ale :
Attached Thumbnails Beer-spitfire%252009.jpg  

Last edited by Zonie; Feb 17th 2010 at 6:28 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:42 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hiro11
What do you reckon to the Goose Island brews??

I've had a bottle in my fridge for yonks, as well as some Black Sheep ale from whole foods!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:31 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy

I've had a bottle in my fridge for yonks, as well as some Black Sheep ale from whole foods!
I've only had the IPA, 312 and Summer Ale. Their IPA is nicely balanced and tasty. The Summer Ale is very nice on a hot day. The 312 was basically indistinguishable from Bud, to me at least. The (pathetic) contrarian, rebel-without-a-pause, straight-up-punk-rock in me always goes for the slightly more obscure stuff.

Some of my favorite midwestern breweries:
Three Floyds (Indiana)
Great Lakes (Ohio, I think...)
Bell's (Indiana)
Two Brothers (Illinois)
Capital (Wisconsin)

Ever been to the Binny's? They've got an overwhelming selection of wine and beer and the staff is very helpful. The one on Butterfield Rd. in Downer's Grove is particularly good.

http://www.binnys.com/index.cfm

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 17th 2010 at 9:37 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.