Beer!

Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:25 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Question Beer!

does anyone know of any good pubs/bars in the california LA area that have proper beer - not this bud or miller crap! (south pasadena would be perfect!!) - i would kill for a nice cold pint of john smiths right now

Ant
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beer!

Originally Posted by antjen
does anyone know of any good pubs/bars in the california LA area that have proper beer - not this bud or miller crap! (south pasadena would be perfect!!) - i would kill for a nice cold pint of john smiths right now

Ant

here you are ... my favorite... 10 miles from you but worth it. John Smiths included

http://www.mattdennys.com/
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
here you are ... my favorite... 10 miles from you but worth it. John Smiths included
oooh...john smiths would be a treat about now...
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
oooh...john smiths would be a treat about now...

you tried Sam Adams.......it's very good
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
you tried Sam Adams.......it's very good
I tried it...it's alright, not to keen on the usual stuff...the seasonal stuff is nice though...
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:18 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beer!

Originally Posted by Eskimo

http://www.mattdennys.com/
oh my god!!! - i love you lol!!!! - i will be rushing over there to sample their liquid delights at the weekend - thanks!!!!!!!!!

Ant
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:28 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

A bit far from Pasadena, but in Santa Monica, you might like Britannia, (Ye Olde) King's Head and Father's Office. The first two are popular among Brit expats and are located in the downtown area near 3rd Street Promenade, the latter is a bar with nice food and a good beer selection located on Montana.

Cat and Fiddle in Hollywood is more of a poseur bar than a pub, and the food is crap, but it attracts some Brit wannabe rockers if that's your thing.

It's not always available in southern California, but you might try to look for Red Hook, a beer brewed in Washington state that somewhat resembles bitter. (When I've toured Brits around the US, they've really liked the stuff and were surprised that such beer existed Stateside.) Otherwise, you might try Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam, which aren't quite like bitter but have a lot more substance than the evil troika of Bud/ Miller/ Coors.

If you like Mexican beer, Bohemia is probably the best of the lot, and is fairly easy to find.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
A bit far from Pasadena, but in Santa Monica, you might like Britannia, (Ye Olde) King's Head and Father's Office. The first two are popular among Brit expats and are located in the downtown area near 3rd Street Promenade, the latter is a bar with nice food and a good beer selection located on Montana.

Cat and Fiddle in Hollywood is more of a poseur bar than a pub, and the food is crap, but it attracts some Brit wannabe rockers if that's your thing.

It's not always available in southern California, but you might try to look for Red Hook, a beer brewed in Washington state that somewhat resembles bitter. (When I've toured Brits around the US, they've really liked the stuff and were surprised that such beer existed Stateside.) Otherwise, you might try Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam, which aren't quite like bitter but have a lot more substance than the evil troika of Bud/ Miller/ Coors.

If you like Mexican beer, Bohemia is probably the best of the lot, and is fairly easy to find.
My fathers office is superb ..went there with Lionheart and Syllk off here - they do Abbott's ale and many other types of proper falling down juice I also really like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which I think is CA beer
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by antjen
oh my god!!! - i love you lol!!!! - i will be rushing over there to sample their liquid delights at the weekend - thanks!!!!!!!!!

Ant
Check whats on draft before you go ... I went on Wednesday and they were still doing all the Oktoberfest Paulaner beers - the Salvatore is excellent -. I think Tetleys smooth and Newcastle are always on draft and John Smiths is a guest.. the Belgium and German choice is good too and food is not bad either.

And if you want a fight go in The Drinkers Hall of Fame next door and challenge the locals to a tequila drinking contest a "friend " of mine did this.. ahem