Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Been here just over 1 year, Got green cards but now job offer in Germany

Been here just over 1 year, Got green cards but now job offer in Germany

Old Jan 13th 2016, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here just over 1 year, Got green cards but now job offer in Germany

Yes, I'd have to pay it all back.
I'm comfortable that I can negotiate and/or get the hiring company to pay.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 12:41 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here just over 1 year, Got green cards but now job offer in Germany

Anecdotally we were told that if it's a different tax year to when you moved, it's difficult to sort out it all out....you've paid the tax on what they gave you, so if you pay it back what happens. One colleague left within the year and wasn't asked to pay back, so you may be alright with it.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, and its personally I would not move to Germany right now. Its going to be a hotbed of social conflict for the next few years. Much as I think its a beautiful place and a fair country.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a good place to be if you are Female.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jayson_Lond is an unknown quantity at this point

I have spent quite a bit of time in Germany.

I think you might feel more connected there being in the heart of Europe. Lots of easier and exciting travel opportunities.

I personally like the Germans and the lifestyle there. I think you might feel that you are more an outsider though than you do in the US. After living in a few cultures that are non english speaking I think full integrating is more difficult and to an extent you live on the edges somewhat, you may even feel like that a bit in the US.

To me a move from North Carolina to Munich might be a downgrade on the lifestyle depending on your situation.

Would also think about the job security pros and cons with the move.

Last edited by Jayson_Lond; Jan 13th 2016 at 1:30 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:05 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I know a number of people who've lived in Germany and whilst some have been very happy because the pay is good, vacation time is generous and they've spent the majority of their time with other expats, they were mainly single. Those who've moved families there have found it more difficult because of the language barrier and cultural differences - things like the hours the supermarkets are open and availability of good quality produce.

Also agree with the comments about safety
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I know a number of people who've lived in Germany and whilst some have been very happy because the pay is good, vacation time is generous and they've spent the majority of their time with other expats, they were mainly single. Those who've moved families there have found it more difficult because of the language barrier and cultural differences - things like the hours the supermarkets are open and availability of good quality produce.
Funny, I'd say that hubby's working colleagues had exactly the opposite experience in Switzerland as regards supermarkets. The married ones with a non-working spouse were golden, as they came home each evening to a full fridge and carefully prepared food from seasonal ingredients. The single ones found it hugely difficult to even get food, given the shops closed at 6pm (usually before they'd finished work); there was also no concept of chilled ready-meals, ready-prepared cut-up veggies, etc.

Of course, I'm talking here about the somewhat older singles, not bucks in their 20s that are largely surviving on beer anyway.

Laundry was another bug bear for the singles - they'd move into an apartment with a shared laundry room, inevitably be scheduled for something like 'Tuesdays between 8am and 3pm', and then have to either go around and re-negotiate with the others in Foreign, or sneak down at unpopular hours and try to jam a load through the machines before they got disapproved at.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:17 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i lived in germany for a year and loved it. I was living with a college friend in Dusseldorf on a work placement. My boyfriend (now husband) was back in England so that made it hard and i was lonely - but if your family was with you it would be different - except a spouse at home may also struggle.

I think we settled into the USA a a lot more easier though - as the language barrier makes it harder in Germany - cant even watch the tv or pick up a newspaper and read it 'with ease'.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I know a number of people who've lived in Germany and whilst some have been very happy because the pay is good, vacation time is generous and they've spent the majority of their time with other expats, they were mainly single. Those who've moved families there have found it more difficult because of the language barrier and cultural differences - things like the hours the supermarkets are open and availability of good quality produce. Also agree with the comments about safety
I wouldn't be worried about safety, especially if you're coming from the US. Be it US or Germany, every area has good & bad parts. I never experienced cultural differences, because I kind of grew up in Germany and am fluent, but it can be tough for families with no German. Kids will always adapt, but it's the parents who struggle. A lot has changed in Germany and in many cities the supermarkets are open longer (9-10 pm), but Bavaria is very different. Even in Munich many supermarkets close at 8pm and Sunday it's dead. Biergardens and restaurants are obviously open, but it's not like the UK when it comes to shopping. Any place will have pros and cons and I'm sure multinationals will offer their staff activities etc. As said, it's lifestyle choice and we're all different. I enjoy visiting Germany, but I would not want to give up my life here in Ireland to move back to Germany, although I'm fluent. One reason is that we have a nice house with big garden here and I'm not far from the sea. The areas I like and where I could possibly find a job, would mean living in an apartment, a longer commute and smaller house with bigger mortgage, and I'd be too far from the sea. It just depends what's more important.