Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Been here 6 months today and...

Been here 6 months today and...

Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here 6 months today and...

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Today's children (or I should say young adults) are far less mature than our generation was at that age. I was married with 2 children at the age of 25. My youngest daughter is 32 and although she is married, there is no way I can see her with a child. I think she would freak out.
Weird isn't it? I kept wondering what did I do But we let him be independent he worked, lived away at Uni (45mins away but still) Got his drivers license and a car at 16 and was free to come and go. But for some reason he still seems so young in many ways.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here just over six months and don't feel settled at all. I have made one good friend (who is also an expat), but if it wasn't for her there's a good chance I would have chucked it all in and gone home by now.

I still don't have an EAD, so can't work, and have lost a lot of confidence so am apprehensive about trying to volunteer for something. Plus I haven't a clue where to start looking. I suppose too I feel a bit of resentment as I had a good job, and I had just been offered a really fantastic job which I had to turn down. I had made a drastic career change just a year earlier and had plans for the future, and now I'm back to square one (was moving into a career that's only open to citizens here, so now no longer an option). OH's job is a bit of a nightmare too, crazy hours and a lot more stress than he had in the UK.

Also doesn't help that we are stuck in a dodgely decorated apartment, while our lovely house back in the UK is waiting to sell!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:53 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
I've been here just over six months and don't feel settled at all. I have made one good friend (who is also an expat), but if it wasn't for her there's a good chance I would have chucked it all in and gone home by now.

I still don't have an EAD, so can't work, and have lost a lot of confidence so am apprehensive about trying to volunteer for something. Plus I haven't a clue where to start looking. I suppose too I feel a bit of resentment as I had a good job, and I had just been offered a really fantastic job which I had to turn down. I had made a drastic career change just a year earlier and had plans for the future, and now I'm back to square one (was moving into a career that's only open to citizens here, so now no longer an option). OH's job is a bit of a nightmare too, crazy hours and a lot more stress than he had in the UK.

Also doesn't help that we are stuck in a dodgely decorated apartment, while our lovely house back in the UK is waiting to sell!
I hear you, mate. The work thing sucks a bit - I had a decent enough civil service job but on moving here, most of the government jobs either required me to be a citizen, or went to internal hires and were only advertised because they had to. I never thought I'd miss my old job at the time but after 4 years of knocking my pan in for very, very little return in this shitty job I have now, I'd give anything to be back in Income Support!!

Ah well, such is life, right?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, what with the recession there just isn't anything to apply for at the moment. I brought my UK job over when I moved so I've been very busy, but my wife (USC) has struggled since she got back and is extremely bored and fed up with the whole process. She's actually now looking into teaching, which is probably a blessing as she never really liked the management job she was working in before. Since the crash it's been pretty painful on both sides of the Atlantic. If we were sensible we would have delayed a bit longer before moving.

After about a month here I really like it but it would have been an entirely different story if I was out of work in this job market.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Should you sell your house?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Can't buy a house here until we do...

It just gets a bit galling sometimes - I do wonder why we left a good lifestyle back home for one which is only okay at best here. I know people say moving abroad isn't the answer if your life is miserable, but I'm inclined to think that's also true if you were happy at home.

Also, OH would have been made redundant if we'd stayed, and we thought we'd probably have to shift to London for him to get another job, which neither of us wanted. However, all his colleagues have got other jobs in the area and seem happy. In effect they all got the summer off and have now started work again and life continues as normal, while our life has been super stressful and in many ways has been put on hold. Whilst I'm pleased for all my OH's mates, I do wish we could get on with life in the same way.

Last edited by MadRad; Sep 28th 2010 at 5:19 pm. Reason: Hadn't finished message
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

Been here just over 2 months and it's a mixed bag. The kids absolutely love it and have made loads of friends, my wife is starting to get bored and is waiting for an EAD but only wants to work part-time (and that seems to equate to 9-5 round here!!).

I love the life and feel really at home but am struggling to like my job - my US colleagues don't appear to listen or remember anything!

We have found certain things, such as healthcare, childcare and laborers to be absolutely extortionate.

Sure all these things are normal and will, hopefully, pass in time. Especially as I have just paid $6K to try and get a green card!

The one saving grace is that we were able to obtain a mortgage and bought a house out here just before relocation so it truly feels like 'home' as opposed to squatting in someone elses and we have our UK property rented so can return if things don't work out.

Typically, how long did it take for people who have been here for some time for things start to 'normalize'?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Can't buy a house here until we do...

It just gets a bit galling sometimes - I do wonder why we left a good lifestyle back home for one which is only okay at best here.
It's funny all the things we take for granted back home isn't it? I thought I was immune and could live anywhere - I had no ties et cetera

That was a load of bollocks
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, I seem to be the only one on here (other than the OP + a few people on the first page) who likes it. Also probably been here the shortest - not a good sign. I'll report back in a few months and let you know if my initial euphoria turns into utter disillusionment and a slow spiral into depression.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Sep 28th 2010 at 6:27 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Oh well, I seem to be the only one on here (other than the OP + a few people on the first page) who likes it. Also probably been here the shortest - not a good sign. I'll report back in a few months and let you know if my initial euphoria turns into utter disillusionment and a slow spiral into depression.
I certainly didn’t feel euphoria in the first few months but that's another story. However, after being here 5 years, I do now feel genuinely happy.

Everyone's experience is different. It can and sometimes does take a while to settle in, while others never can. Honestly, I don't care if I ever see the UK again.

Hope it works out for you!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:34 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Given what he said, I wouldn't.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:36 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by washsaint
Typically, how long did it take for people who have been here for some time for things start to 'normalize'?
Define "normalize".
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Define "normalize".
Interesting word.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:43 pm

I have just been to a parents' evening at the school - endless announcements over the PA system about the AMAZING FANTASTIC staff and the AMAZING work they do and the AMAZING kids and this is the BEST school ever and no school could compare to it ad nauseam whoop whoop Go Coyotes
You don't sound too convinced, I guess you aren't sucumbing to the BS yet?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:44 pm

Interesting word.
Is it? (a word I mean)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.