Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Been asked before, but maybe time for an update - US to UK phone services

Been asked before, but maybe time for an update - US to UK phone services

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:34 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been asked before, but maybe time for an update - US to UK phone services

Folks, I'm looking to hear good things about a reliable company I can use to call to the UK from a US residential phone.

Most importantly, I'm looking for good service, decent cost and transparent billing. The service I use at the moment, PowerNetGlobal, is starting to be a pain in the ass, because what I'm being charged isn't matching with what I see on the websites you come across with Google, even if the name of the service is the same (International 1+ if you're using them).

I just called their customer service, because my calls were 11c/min, and I had found a website saying the service I use should be 6c/min. ON calling up the 'customer service' I was told it depends what agent I use, and what part of the UK I'm calling. And then you've got all the 'minimum usage' fee, the time increments for your call, and stuff like that.

If you are currently using a reasonably priced service who give you no hassle, please respond.

Thanks, Sam.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:42 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Been asked before, but maybe time for an update - US to UK phone services

My better half actually uses calling cards. It saves the hassle of having an extra plan added to her telephone service and you seem to be able to get really good plans.
She uses www.pinzoo.com but there are so many out there, it comes down to personal choice.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 12:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been asked before, but maybe time for an update - US to UK phone services

Originally posted by ukemigrant
Folks, I'm looking to hear good things about a reliable company I can use to call to the UK from a US residential phone. .....
this was covered on a thread that was still being added to as recently as last Saturday - see Calling Cards
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ukemigrant
Folks, I'm looking to hear good things about a reliable company I can use to call to the UK from a US residential phone.

Most importantly, I'm looking for good service, decent cost and transparent billing. The service I use at the moment, PowerNetGlobal, is starting to be a pain in the ass, because what I'm being charged isn't matching with what I see on the websites you come across with Google, even if the name of the service is the same (International 1+ if you're using them).

I just called their customer service, because my calls were 11c/min, and I had found a website saying the service I use should be 6c/min. ON calling up the 'customer service' I was told it depends what agent I use, and what part of the UK I'm calling. And then you've got all the 'minimum usage' fee, the time increments for your call, and stuff like that.

If you are currently using a reasonably priced service who give you no hassle, please respond.

Thanks, Sam.
Never have tried any of the 1+number companies, always stuck with major phone companies, at the moment we are Comcast for our Cable and our Digital Phone Service (it did belong to AT&T till a few months ago) - We pay 2.95 per month for our international plan and we are currently being charged 8 cents a minute - in fact we were 9 but they suddenly put it down a few months back.

We do not bother with an internal long distance plan (cos we don't know more than about 3 people in different places) and I have a feeling that when you have a 'good' one it changes what you pay for your international per month and the rate.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:03 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I use phone cards too from 1st USA

http://1st-usa.com

We're paying 1.1c per minute anytime.