Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

Wikiposts

Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:38 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

Originally Posted by Celsius
Better still. Anyone got contacts with an abattoir? That'd be the source of suet...
I just got an email back from this place.. The plant manager. This recipe for birds, is perfectly suitable for humans..

Here's where you can buy the suet - cheep-er than Atora 3lbs of it for $17

http://www.askthemeatman.com/bird_feed__suet.htm

funny what you can find on google
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:47 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
The closest thing to suet here is shortening. It's mostly vegetable shortening, but I've seen an enormous tub of meat shortening in Walmart. It's not dried though, comes in a big goupy mess, looks a bit like lard.

Had a lovely Beef with Boddingtons and dumplings stew on monday. Bought a packet of bisquick for the dumplings, threw in some herbs and half a cup of water and viola! Perfect dumplings.

Dumb question, but is suet different there than here? I mean, I see suet in the market often...especially in the fall- when people put it out for birds. Is beef fat that different over there? Have you asked a butcher here for it?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:09 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

32 post and 3 pages on suet!!! FFS
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:17 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

33! Life is so much better with dumplings
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Dumb question, but is suet different there than here? I mean, I see suet in the market often...especially in the fall- when people put it out for birds. Is beef fat that different over there? Have you asked a butcher here for it?
wondering the same myself...
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:41 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
The Atora suet that you get from UK is dried, and cut into small pieces, looks a bit like thick rice. It's a bit easier to mix into flour, xmas pud or whatever else you want to use it for. Is this what you've seen, or are you talking about the shortening goupy type stuff?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Bruv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franc11s
I am in the mood for some good British Stew and Dumplings, made with real suet pudding... Yum. I normally make a huge batch that lasts a week (seems to taste better with each day).

Thankfully, my local british store now sells suet pudding (thanks to me pestering them).

Does that make anyone else here's taste buds tingle

On a slightly different note. Has anyone tried Aunt Bessies frozen Roasted Potatoes or Yorkshire puds. A few years back, when in UK, some friends used both and I thought they were AWESOME (before I even knew they were frozen).

I came back and worked on my own "frozen" roasties recipe and it actually worked.... You can make a big batch and freeze them... They take justr 25-30 mins from Frozen to reheat - they come out real crispy and delicous. Let me know if you want the recipe. It was fun experimenting. Maybe I should market them as Uncle Franks

Hey franc11s

I know the whole thing has moved on a bit since you start the topic, but I noticed your comment on Aunt Bessies tatties and puds. Well just in case you want them again, I noticed a few packs of these at the "Taste of Britain" in Norcross (was out there earlier today and they have some in stock). Don't know the address, but the shop is opposite the Train Station on the main street in Norcross.

Also noticed your entry on the Pataks subject. I have heard about the Indian store that sells food in Atlanta, but being new here do you have the address?

cheers
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:04 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
The Atora suet that you get from UK is dried, and cut into small pieces, looks a bit like thick rice. It's a bit easier to mix into flour, xmas pud or whatever else you want to use it for. Is this what you've seen, or are you talking about the shortening goupy type stuff?
No- it is usually a mass of fat, semi-dry not at all "goopy" but not at all like rice.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:06 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rushman
32 post and 3 pages on suet!!! FFS
You need to change your name to something like "I'm gonna bitch & moan about every effing thread that mentions food" - it would really suit you!