Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
So are you going to bugger off then or do you like hanging out with the girls?

NC Penguin

Watch it mate. I know why you're hanging around the food threads!!!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:25 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Thanks, I'll try that at the weekend. What could be better, Beef stew and dumplings followed by treacle sponge and custard....yum, yum. God knows why I don't weigh 20 stones......or do I??
Break the scales and then you never will

Am I coming to yours on Saturday then?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Just don't mention those frey bentos steak and kidney puddings......or the pies either. Total and utter garbage and not even fit for dog food!!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:35 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Just don't mention those frey bentos steak and kidney puddings......or the pies either. Total and utter garbage and not even fit for dog food!!
When I was a student, my Mum used to send me food parcels which usually had at least one Fray Bentos pie and some Prince's marshmallows for some unknown reason. That and those vacuum packed potato hash things that you fry up. It made a nice change from beans on toast

I used to tell her that it would work out a hell of a lot cheaper just to send me a Tesco gift voucher but that one never sunk in...
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wintersong
When I was a student, my Mum used to send me food parcels which usually had at least one Fray Bentos pie and some Prince's marshmallows for some unknown reason. That and those vacuum packed potato hash things that you fry up. It made a nice change from beans on toast

I used to tell her that it would work out a hell of a lot cheaper just to send me a Tesco gift voucher but that one never sunk in...
Don't know how you ate those tinned pies...look, felt and taste like wet cardboard soaked in urine!!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:49 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Don't know how you ate those tinned pies...look, felt and taste like wet cardboard soaked in urine!!
I used to really like them

But then, I've never tasted wet cardboard soaked in urine (apparently unlike some) so I wouldn't know...
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:52 am
Account Closed

I used to really like them

But then, I've never tasted wet cardboard soaked in urine (apparently unlike some) so I wouldn't know...
I have and I thought I was eating a Frey bentos pie!!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:02 am
Return of bouncing girl!

I have and I thought I was eating a Frey bentos pie!!
And what did you think the brown lumps were...

on second thoughts, don't answer that.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:04 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s

On a slightly different note. Has anyone tried Aunt Bessies frozen Roasted Potatoes or Yorkshire puds. A few years back, when in UK, some friends used both and I thought they were AWESOME (before I even knew they were frozen).
Aunt Bessies yorky puds are the best!!!! - you can get them in the us too - i spotted them in ye olde kings head shop in santa monica the other day - i will be stocking up!!

Anthony
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

On a slight tangent, my hubby has been teasing me recently that the only "authentic British" recipes were pie, bangers and mash or meat and two veg (though he does grudgingly admit that we do wonderful things with potatoes ) - can anyone offer me any other British grub to shut him up?!
cornish pasties....sunday roast...toad in the hole...shepards pie, fish n chips...
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:34 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
After I'd been here a couple of months I tried finding suet....couldn't so asked. As I started talking, I knew it was going to be one of those questions I'd regret asking, and sure enough, it was. How the hell do you describe suet? I ended up with about 4 or 5 Randalls employees round me, all with totally bemused "what the hell is this limey talkng about" expressions on their faces and in the end I gave up.

From some of the postings about what folk can and can't get, we seem to be luckier than most in what british food is available here, but suet is one thing that isn't. I normally bring back 3 or 4 boxes of "dumpling mix" that our local butcher sells - its nowhere near as good as a suet dumpling, but its a reasonable "next best" alternative. And it comes in sealed packets, without any meat fat content, so isn't as likely to upset customs as a folded packet of beef suet. Its certainly better than topping a stew with Pilsbury "Biscuits" which is one thing I tried. Once.
The closest thing to suet here is shortening. It's mostly vegetable shortening, but I've seen an enormous tub of meat shortening in Walmart. It's not dried though, comes in a big goupy mess, looks a bit like lard.

Had a lovely Beef with Boddingtons and dumplings stew on monday. Bought a packet of bisquick for the dumplings, threw in some herbs and half a cup of water and viola! Perfect dumplings.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:41 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Attora does come in a sealed poly bag it's a b*stard to open.

Whats wrong with stew and dumplings it's man food.

Really I bought some week before last and it was in the unsealed wax paper wrapper......going to have to shop around and see if we can get some in the poly bags - worth a risk if its sealed.......
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:02 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
The closest thing to suet here is shortening. It's mostly vegetable shortening, but I've seen an enormous tub of meat shortening in Walmart. It's not dried though, comes in a big goupy mess, looks a bit like lard.
Yes, I tried that, not quite the same but tasty (what fat isn't)... I think I'll try it again but bake the shorterning first (to dry it). Might work...

What we need, is HOW TO MAKE ATORA DRIED SUET.. Anyone worked for UK butcher/manufacturer to know.... The vegie version isn't bad but it just ain't the same.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:12 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

is HOW TO MAKE ATORA DRIED SUET.. Anyone worked for UK butcher/manufacturer to know....
Find this recipe for BIRD feeders - might work ANything that attracts Birds right

Suet is raw beef fat from around the kidneys and loins. Suet is one of the best foods to attract nuthatches, woodpeckers, wrens, titmice, creepers, kinglets, chickadees, thrashers, cardinals and even bluebirds and unfortunately the starlings and squirrels! To discourage the starlings, purchase a suet feeder cage that is covered on all sides but the bottom. Only those birds that can hang upside down will use this feeder.

If the temperature outside is around 70 degrees Fahrenheit and warmer, beef fat can turn rancid and melt. There are many commercial suet cakes that can be purchased and some of these are called "no melt", "berry" and "insect" cakes.

How to Render Suet:

You can trim excess fat off beef cuts and store in the freezer until enough fat is achieved or you can purchase beef fat from the grocery store or your nearby butcher.

Grind the beef fat with a meat grinder or finely chop the fat.
Heat the fat over a low to medium flame until its liquefied.
Strain by pouring melted suet through a fine cheesecloth.
Let cool to harden.
Repeat steps 2-3. If the fat is not rendered twice, the suet will not cake properly.
Let cool to harden and store in a covered container in the freezer.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE A *REAL* RECIPE !!!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I tried that, not quite the same but tasty (what fat isn't)... I think I'll try it again but bake the shorterning first (to dry it). Might work...

What we need, is HOW TO MAKE ATORA DRIED SUET.. Anyone worked for UK butcher/manufacturer to know.... The vegie version isn't bad but it just ain't the same.
Better still. Anyone got contacts with an abattoir? That'd be the source of suet...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.