British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Beef Stew and real Dumplings :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/beef-stew-real-dumplings-333813/)

franc11s Oct 26th 2005 8:58 pm

Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

I am in the mood for some good British Stew and Dumplings, made with real suet pudding... Yum. I normally make a huge batch that lasts a week (seems to taste better with each day).

Thankfully, my local british store now sells suet pudding (thanks to me pestering them).

Does that make anyone else here's taste buds tingle ;)

On a slightly different note. Has anyone tried Aunt Bessies frozen Roasted Potatoes or Yorkshire puds. A few years back, when in UK, some friends used both and I thought they were AWESOME (before I even knew they were frozen).

I came back and worked on my own "frozen" roasties recipe and it actually worked.... You can make a big batch and freeze them... They take justr 25-30 mins from Frozen to reheat - they come out real crispy and delicous. Let me know if you want the recipe. It was fun experimenting. Maybe I should market them as Uncle Franks :) :) :)

sam/stu Oct 26th 2005 9:59 pm

Re: Beef Stew and real Dumplings :)

Originally Posted by franc11s
I am in the mood for some good British Stew and Dumplings, made with real suet pudding... Yum. I normally make a huge batch that lasts a week (seems to taste better with each day).

Thankfully, my local british store now sells suet pudding (thanks to me pestering them).

On a slightly different note. Has anyone tried Aunt Bessies frozen Roasted Potatoes or Yorkshire puds. A few years back, when in UK, some friends used both and I thought they were AWESOME (before I even knew they were frozen).

I came back and worked on my own "frozen" roasties recipe and it actually worked.... You can make a big batch and freeze them... They take justr 25-30 mins from Frozen to reheat - they come out real crispy and delicous. Let me know if you want the recipe. It was fun experimenting. Maybe I should market them as Uncle Franks :) :) :)

Try a little ATORA BEEF SUET (if you can get it)mixed with a little herb to make dumplings, try a little diced bacon to make it more interesting. Great for a rainy, cold evening in blighty. Good steak stir fried in plain flour mixed with salt, and loads of pepper add a little worchester sauce. put in a pan with oxo cubes, beef stoke, onion and let simmer. Add to stew to warm it through. Add new pots, green beans or go continental and have brown rice - yum.
Can be frozen ,personally I can't wait to eat it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Auntie Bessies - sorry the 'McDonalds of Sundays dinners!!!!
Nothing like the real thing:)

Yorkieabroad Oct 26th 2005 10:09 pm

After I'd been here a couple of months I tried finding suet....couldn't so asked. As I started talking, I knew it was going to be one of those questions I'd regret asking, and sure enough, it was. How the hell do you describe suet? I ended up with about 4 or 5 Randalls employees round me, all with totally bemused "what the hell is this limey talkng about" expressions on their faces and in the end I gave up.

From some of the postings about what folk can and can't get, we seem to be luckier than most in what british food is available here, but suet is one thing that isn't. I normally bring back 3 or 4 boxes of "dumpling mix" that our local butcher sells - its nowhere near as good as a suet dumpling, but its a reasonable "next best" alternative. And it comes in sealed packets, without any meat fat content, so isn't as likely to upset customs as a folded packet of beef suet. Its certainly better than topping a stew with Pilsbury "Biscuits" which is one thing I tried. Once.

Thydney Oct 26th 2005 11:45 pm

Well suet is beef fat. Bringing it in is against the law ;) You can get a veg suet by Attora (not quite the same but ok for a desperado.) from import shops/web sites.

Yorkieabroad Oct 26th 2005 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
Well suet is beef fat. Bringing it in is against the law ;) .

Yeah, thats why I bring the other stuff...might not be quite so law abiding if atora was in a sealed poly bag instead of that folded wax paper thingy. And if there were fewer sniffer dogs at the baggage claim.....

Didn't know you could get the veggie thing - will have to check it out -Ta!

Rushman Oct 26th 2005 11:50 pm

Shouldnt this be in that girlie recipe thread???

Thydney Oct 27th 2005 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
...might not be quite so law abiding if atora was in a sealed poly bag instead of that folded wax paper thingy.

Attora does come in a sealed poly bag it's a b*stard to open.

Whats wrong with stew and dumplings it's man food.

Bob Oct 27th 2005 12:47 am

suet...eek....but those frozen yorky puds are pretty handy for a snack..hmmm...yum :D

NC Penguin Oct 27th 2005 12:50 am

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Try a little ATORA BEEF SUET (if you can get it)mixed with a little herb to make dumplings, try a little diced bacon to make it more interesting. Great for a rainy, cold evening in blighty. Good steak stir fried in plain flour mixed with salt, and loads of pepper add a little worchester sauce. put in a pan with oxo cubes, beef stoke, onion and let simmer. Add to stew to warm it through. Add new pots, green beans or go continental and have brown rice - yum.
Can be frozen ,personally I can't wait to eat it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Auntie Bessies - sorry the 'McDonalds of Sundays dinners!!!!
Nothing like the real thing:)

Many of the members reading this forum already live in the USA and don't have access to authentic British ingredients...

Beef suet is not going to be available in the US courtesy of the FDA because beef suet is a byproduct of cow...

NC Penguin

NC Penguin Oct 27th 2005 12:51 am

Originally Posted by rushman
Shouldnt this be in that girlie recipe thread???

So are you going to bugger off then or do you like hanging out with the girls? :D

NC Penguin

Sue Oct 27th 2005 12:56 am

REAL men eat beef stew and dumplings.......just ask Paul :D I make the stuff at least a couple of times a month.
I get visiting family to bring me over suet, but unfortunately it has to be the vegetable suet as the beef suet is animal product and customs won't let it through. Still, the vegetable stuff is good enough. Might branch out and try and make a treacle pud next week.

Wintersong Oct 27th 2005 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Sue
REAL men eat beef stew and dumplings.......just ask Paul :D I make the stuff at least a couple of times a month.
I get visiting family to bring me over suet, but unfortunately it has to be the vegetable suet as the beef suet is animal product and customs won't let it through. Still, the vegetable stuff is good enough. Might branch out and try and make a treacle pud next week.

I have a fantastic recipe for microwaved syrup sponge pudding - it comes out so light and fluffy and I got some proper Lyle's golden syrup from the British store. Bored-silly can back me up on how good it was. The recipe's yours if you want it (though knowing how much British cooking you do, I'm sure you already have one!)

On a slight tangent, my hubby has been teasing me recently that the only "authentic British" recipes were pie, bangers and mash or meat and two veg (though he does grudgingly admit that we do wonderful things with potatoes ;) ) - can anyone offer me any other British grub to shut him up?!

Sue Oct 27th 2005 2:11 am

Yes please I want the recipe for the sponge pudding, anything that can be cooked in the microwave has got to be a winner.

Originally Posted by Wintersong
On a slight tangent, my hubby has been teasing me recently that the only "authentic British" recipes were pie, bangers and mash or meat and two veg (though he does grudgingly admit that we do wonderful things with potatoes ;) ) - can anyone offer me any other British grub to shut him up?!

Of course the traditional british grub has to be curry ;)

Wintersong Oct 27th 2005 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Sue
Yes please I want the recipe for the sponge pudding, anything that can be cooked in the microwave has got to be a winner.
Of course the traditional british grub has to be curry ;)

Lol - he's Indian and keeps throwing that one in my face.

Here's the syrup pud:

1. Grease a 2 1/2 pint pudding basin with butter or marg and spoon 4 tbsp syrup into the bottom

2. Cream 4 1/2 oz of butter or marg with 3 oz of caster sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in 2 eggs.

3. Sift 4 1/2 oz of self raising flour and 1 tsp of baking powder together and fold into the mixture with a metal spoon. Add enough water to give a soft, dropping consistency (I didn't need to add any) then spoon into the pudding basin and level the surface.

4. Cover with microwave safe film, leaving a small gap for air to escape. Microwave on high for 4 mins, remove from the microwave and allow to stand for another 5 mins while the pudding continues to cook.

5. Turn onto a serving plate and serve with Birds custard (what else!!!)

Trust me, it's totally scrumptious :)

Sue Oct 27th 2005 2:24 am

Thanks, I'll try that at the weekend. What could be better, Beef stew and dumplings followed by treacle sponge and custard....yum, yum. God knows why I don't weigh 20 stones......or do I??

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Lol - he's Indian and keeps throwing that one in my face.

Here's the syrup pud:

1. Grease a 2 1/2 pint pudding basin with butter or marg and spoon 4 tbsp syrup into the bottom

2. Cream 4 1/2 oz of butter or marg with 3 oz of caster sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in 2 eggs.

3. Sift 4 1/2 oz of self raising flour and 1 tsp of baking powder together and fold into the mixture with a metal spoon. Add enough water to give a soft, dropping consistency (I didn't need to add any) then spoon into the pudding basin and level the surface.

4. Cover with microwave safe film, leaving a small gap for air to escape. Microwave on high for 4 mins, remove from the microwave and allow to stand for another 5 mins while the pudding continues to cook.

5. Turn onto a serving plate and serve with Birds custard (what else!!!)

Trust me, it's totally scrumptious :)