Bedding

Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bedding

Put my duvet in my old top loader many times! But the more safety conscious among us could go to a laundromat and use the front loaders to wash their bulky covers.

Simple solution: go to Ikea and buy duvet/duvet covers. All done.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Just be careful if you have a top loader. .....
Why would anyone have a top-loader?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
So I'm looking for a duvet or a comforter. But the query over why stores seem to be selling it WITH sheets is still perplexing to me.
youve had lots of help so far, but I also wanted to make sure you realise that bedding sizes are different between uk and USA. If you've bought an IKEA mattress, then best to buy the bedding (at least the sheets and mattress protectors) from there to start with until you and your girlfriend have reached an understanding!

I'm currently staying in a hotel with a sheet and a comforter and a duvet on the bed. The duvet gets taken off, but I am so unused to dealing with more than one layer that I find I'm waking up in a tangle of sheet with freezing feet and the comforter bunched up somewhere round my (sweaty) midriff. Plus, feather pillows that have no support for my neck whatsoever...

Have you got onto the curtain/drapes conversation yet and discovered how much they cost, and that's per curtain not per pair?! It's enough to send you back to IKEA...
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, this is the US and not the UK or Europe and our bedding is far different. So are our methods of making in beds and how we keep the temperature of our homes.

The US normally does not sell duvets as you call them. We sell comforters, quilts, bedspreads, blankets and sheet sets which include a fitted bottom and a loose top sheet. We are use to sleeping with a top sheet and the first time I visited Germany and our hotel room only had a goose down comforter folded at the end of the bed, both my sister and I thought the room had not been made up. It takes some getting use to and frankly, I prefer a top sheet under my blanket, quilt or comforter. Why? Because when you sleep, you sweat, your skin flakes, etc. and it is easier to wash the sheets then to wash the comforter, quilt, or blanket. Yes, it is understood that the duvet cover takes the place on a European bed of an American top sheet and serves the same purpose.

Many stores sell comforters which are goose down and in various levels of depth ranging from lightweight for summer to heavyweight for winter. You can buy comforter 'covers' for these plain white comforters. Why you appear to be making such an issue in finding one is mystifying. They are sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, Target, Kohl's, K-Mart, and online.

Now it is up to you to convince your girlfriend that your way is the only way and the only correct way to dress and sleep in a bed. Good luck.

There are always separate bedrooms !

Last edited by Rete; Sep 27th 2017 at 5:17 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why would anyone have a top-loader?
Because it is preferred
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my wife have two comforters for our California King. Mostly because I have a tendency to steal the covers in the night...

She sent me on a trip to get a bottom sheet or whatever they call it here and that was tricky enough!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
top loader.

Lets have none of that talk here.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
She sent me on a trip to get a bottom sheet
Andrex?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Andrex?
I was thinking "Android".
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:40 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Target has made it easy in the last year. An eisle of duvets called duvets and a section opposite with the duvet cover sets (cover plus 2 pillowcases). Remember pillows can be a different size and that king here means superking pretty much from the Uk.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Once upon a time, I was adamant that I'd be shipping my duvet, pillows and duvet cover sets to the States () because I love my big ol' duvet, and my husband, for all his trying, could not explain to me the differences between all the items mentioned in the OP's original post. Comforters versus quilts versus duvets, and then pillowcases versus shams... honestly, there were almost frustrated fisticuffs over it. Ridiculous.

Can anyone give me a better idea (than my husband can) about the progression of bed sizes in the US? Like how in the UK we have single > twin > double > queen > king > super-king... how are the US bed names/sizes ordered? My husband thinks we have a queen-sized bed, but I am certain our bed in the States is smaller than my humble double here in the UK, and I have no idea if I'm just wrong or simply misinformed. (Not that it matters. But, y'know. Interesting.)
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Twin > Full > Queen > King > California King

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_si..._United_States
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert

Thank you! 'Full'! See? I'd never even heard of that one. I shall have a read of the wiki page and familiarise myself, and shock the husband when we suddenly don't need to fight over sheets ever again.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Andrex?
Woaaaah we can't afford those luxuries!

Whatever is the cheapest at CostCo does the job!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert

A California King is narrower, but longer than a king.

That said I do wish I opted for a California King. My problem at night isn't the buffer to the side of me, but the fact I'm forced to lay slightly diagonally due to height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.