Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bed time for Children.

Bed time for Children.

Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bed time for Children.

My two (5 & 4) go to bed between 7 and 8, which has been pretty consistent since they stopped having naps around their 3rd birthdays. I think most US pre-kindergarten kids still seem to have mid-day naps and so stay up later.

We have some Turkish friends whose kids are the same age as ours and they stay up until 12 - 1 am. I've no idea how they do it - I'm out on my feet before then let alone my kids.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
My two (5 & 4) go to bed between 7 and 8, which has been pretty consistent since they stopped having naps around their 3rd birthdays. I think most US pre-kindergarten kids still seem to have mid-day naps and so stay up later.

We have some Turkish friends whose kids are the same age as ours and they stay up until 12 - 1 am. I've no idea how they do it - I'm out on my feet before then let alone my kids.
I seriously think that my son's nap & early bedtime are the only reason why I'm still sane, well sane for the most part anyway!!!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I seriously think that my son's nap & early bedtime are the only reason why I'm still sane, well sane for the most part anyway!!!
Give it a year and you'll be doing everything you can to stop him having a nap because otherwise he'll be up until 11!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:51 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a year and you'll be doing everything you can to stop him having a nap because otherwise he'll be up until 11!
I'll keep you posted!!!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:53 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Our daughter is 11 and when school is in session bedtime is between 9:00 and 9:30 p.m. on school nights. Now that school is out and she goes to Summer camp I let her stay up until 10:00 to 10:30 p.m.

On Friday and Saturday night I let her stay up and watch TV until she feels like going to sleep, but she knows there will be hell to pay if she falls asleep with the TV on.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

These enforced naps played the biggest part for me not to send my little chap to a day care, he would get very stressed being made to take a nap now days. He starts first step in September, pre kindergarden, but thankfully they call it quite time, he dose not have to nap.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdyoung
..... she knows there will be hell to pay if she falls asleep with the TV on.
I'm glad our house doesn't have that rule - I'd always be in (more) trouble!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britvic
These enforced naps played the biggest part for me not to send my little chap to a day care, he would get very stressed being made to take a nap now days. He starts first step in September, pre kindergarden, but thankfully they call it quite time, he dose not have to nap.
Yeah - my daughter (just 4 at the time) used to hate them too - which made her hate going to daycare - we talked with her teacher and she was allowed to listen to books-on-tape on her walkman as long as she was quiet and lying still so from then on she loved it.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad our house doesn't have that rule - I'd always be in (more) trouble!
LOL So would my husband.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - my daughter (just 4 at the time) used to hate them too - which made her hate going to daycare - we talked with her teacher and she was allowed to listen to books-on-tape on her walkman as long as she was quiet and lying still so from then on she loved it.
Yes I can believe your Daughter can do that, also have 2 Girl's, but Boy's no!!! I'm not even going to go down that road.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I can believe your Daughter can do that, also have 2 Girl's, but Boy's no!!! I'm not even going to go down that road.
It's even easier for boys - they just find something up the noses or down their pants to play with
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's even easier for boys - they just find something up the noses or down their pants to play with
LOL They dont change much then.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL They dont change much then.
Why change when you're having fun?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:00 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

He starts first step in September, pre kindergarden, but thankfully they call it quite time, he dose not have to nap.

1 year old goes up at 6.30 or very soon thereafter.
3 and 5 year old go up together at 7.00, brush teeth, story, and asleep by 7.15, 7.30 latest.

we changed pre-k's earlier this year because htey were enforcing a lunchtime nap at the old one - our (then) 4year old was napping for 1.5 hours and then wasn't ready for bed till 9 or later in the evening. We switched 'schools' to one that had 20 minutes "quiet time" (as designated under texas law), during which they do puzzles or read, or nap if they want to. He never naps now, and that tinmetable as above goes like clockwork. 3yo doesn't nap either - cut it out a while ago. And the poor little 1yo snathces whatever she can, wherever she can, in between our various activities......
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

3 year old and 7 year old - about 7:30, maybe a bit later.

4 year old is a battle. Nuf said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.