British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bed shipping costs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bed-shipping-costs-334680/)

Drebin Oct 31st 2005 6:35 pm

Bed shipping costs?

Any ideas how much I would be looking at to ship a bed frame and mattress to the USA from the UK? It's one of those new-looking low to the floor type beds, no boxspring or anything.

It's regular double sized mattress, and the frame packs into about a 2.0m x 0.8m x 0.2m box.

It's about a year old and is a decent bed. I'm just wondering if it's worth the cost/bother of shipping compared to buying a new one. Mattresses in the US don't seem cheap, and I didn't fancy a dull old boxspring bed.

Cheers.

Roadster280 Oct 31st 2005 6:37 pm

Re: Bed shipping costs?

Originally Posted by Drebin
Any ideas how much I would be looking at to ship a bed frame and mattress to the USA from the UK? It's one of those new-looking low to the floor type beds, no boxspring or anything.

It's regular double sized mattress, and the frame packs into about a 2.0m x 0.8m x 0.2m box.

It's about a year old and is a decent bed. I'm just wondering if it's worth the cost/bother of shipping compared to buying a new one. Mattresses in the US don't seem cheap, and I didn't fancy a dull old boxspring bed.

Cheers.

Shipit.co.uk. GBP 160 per cubic metre, plus collection/packing and insurance.

IMHO, very good value, but yet to see what condition my stuff will turn up in.

Minty Nov 1st 2005 4:02 am

Cheers.

I used Excess International Movers to get my stuff from the Uk to the US.

www.international-movers.com

They were excellent all the way through and the delivery men in US couldn't be more helpful. I felt they were very very reasonable. Definately worth a phone call.

Minty

fatbrit Nov 1st 2005 4:42 am

Just pick up an Ikea one when you get here if you like the close-to-the-floor experience. Around $500 for a queen bed and mattress combo.

Bob Nov 1st 2005 4:59 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just pick up an Ikea one when you get here if you like the close-to-the-floor experience. Around $500 for a queen bed and mattress combo.

depends where he ends up...there ain't an ikea around within 5 hours of here :D

fatbrit Nov 1st 2005 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Bob

Well...yes, Bob. But you ain't exactly living where most people live, are you now!

Most people live sorta roundabout where the dots on this map are!

fatbrit Nov 1st 2005 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Bob

Actually, come to think of it, what's the problem with a 5-hour drive. Before they opened an Ikea in metro Phoenix, folks use to drive to San Diego just to pick stuff up from Ikea -- 350 miles, about 5 hours. Make it there and back in less than a day!

TN-Dave Nov 1st 2005 11:43 am

Well...yes, Bob. But you ain't exactly living where most people live, are you now!

Wohoooo ! We have an IKEA within 3 hours of us !

Russ&Jayne Nov 1st 2005 11:52 am

We drive to Canada for our nearest Ikea. Very nice one it is too. The new one in New Haven, CT is less than a year old and a shite hole :o

dbj1000 Nov 1st 2005 11:53 am

Cheers.

I wouldn't bother, but then we ended up spending a fortune replacing the stuff we didn't ship, so perhaps you shouldn't listen to me. If you're paying for the shipping yourself, it's probably hardly worth shipping the bed, but if a company is paying then ship everything.

It is worth pointing out that your "regular double sized mattress" isn't a regular size in the US, and you'll have real trouble buying sheets for it here...

...actually, I'm wrong on that. According to this useful link (if bed-related links can be useful) it's only the Double (US "Full") size that is the same between the US and the UK.

Still doesn't seem worth it. Buy one when you get here.

Ray Nov 1st 2005 12:45 pm

None in Florida though ...

mandpete Nov 1st 2005 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Wohoooo ! We have an IKEA within 3 hours of us !

We have 3 IKEAs within one hour of us and they are all pretty similar to the one we used to go to in England, apart from the fact the one in England was always full of scousers.

TN-Dave Nov 1st 2005 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by mandpete
We have 3 IKEAs within one hour of us and they are all pretty similar to the one we used to go to in England, apart from the fact the one in England was always full of scousers.

LOLOL...... I'll have to drop in on one of them next time I'm visiting my in-laws in MD.

fatbrit Nov 1st 2005 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
None in Florida though ...

Why would you want to buy a bed if you went to FL? The hotels have beds, don't they?

Ray Nov 1st 2005 1:37 pm

Why would you want to buy a bed if you went to FL? The hotels have beds, don't they?

I might just want an Ikea bed...