Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bed frame gap

Bed frame gap

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bed frame gap

What is the reason for the gap that seems to be often found between the headboard/footboard and the mattress? I've seen to varying degrees on all the beds I've slept in recently. We've just received our new frame today (no more sleeping on the floor!) and there's a good 6" of gap in total - big enough for me to stand in! The one in the shop also had a gap, albeit a different size. Yes, the mattress is the right size for the frame. The sides are ok though.

Other than the obvious pillows, cushions, what do you stuff it with?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bed frame gap

Originally Posted by GeoffM
What is the reason for the gap that seems to be often found between the headboard/footboard and the mattress? I've seen to varying degrees on all the beds I've slept in recently. We've just received our new frame today (no more sleeping on the floor!) and there's a good 6" of gap in total - big enough for me to stand in! The one in the shop also had a gap, albeit a different size. Yes, the mattress is the right size for the frame. The sides are ok though.

Annoying isn't it? We've bought a couple of long "body pillows" for the gap between the top and the headboard. Then add regular pillows..works well
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:46 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Guns.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Guns.

No idea why they have that gap but it annoys the hell out of me, I find the mattress moves one and the box spring the other, so I have to readjust the whole bed every few days
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have the wrong size mattress / frame? Did you bring a UK mattress (which is shorter than a US version)?

But it is a good place for weapons.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

It's a standard US queen boxspring and standard US queen mattress, which are the same size, and US queen fitted sheets are the right size, so I'm pretty certain that part is all okay. The bed itself had Queen written on the boxes so I'm pretty sure that's right too. Seeing as others have also implied that they have gaps, at least I know I'm not alone!

I could fit an ammunition bunker down there.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:05 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

I find the mattress moves one and the box spring the other, so I have to readjust the whole bed every few days
All I can say is you must be getting more "action" than we are
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a standard US queen boxspring and standard US queen mattress, which are the same size, and US queen fitted sheets are the right size, so I'm pretty certain that part is all okay. The bed itself had Queen written on the boxes so I'm pretty sure that's right too. Seeing as others have also implied that they have gaps, at least I know I'm not alone!

Yes, we bought a new bed at the beginning of the year. New frame, mattress, everything....still the gap!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's so you can get your hand down the gap to put the mattress pad and sheets on the mattress. And on the footer end there's the sheets, plus blanket or fluffly duvet or quilt to stuff down between the mattress and footboard. I have an antique bed without extra gap and it is very difficult to change the linens. I have to lift the whole mattress out and prop on the footboard to get the sheets wrapped around. Then stuffing the excess length of duvet out of the way is a chore. I prefer the gaps for that reason.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:57 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
All I can say is you must be getting more "action" than we are
Yeah right! I think it;s more to do with the 7 year old, she tends to use the bed as a trampoline.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There is no gap on my queen size bed between the headboard and the mattress ... don't have a footboard as I hate them. I had to lift the corners of the mattress to put on the fitted sheet yesterday when I changed the bedding.

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:42 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yeah right! I think it;s more to do with the 7 year old, she tends to use the bed as a trampoline.
Lol - we've got one of those too - plus a couple of larger ones.

We thought the answer was to buy what we christened a "castle" bed - it has a moat (the gaps all round between the frame and the mattress), plus it is so high off the ground we figured the kids (probably wife too!) would need a siege ladders to scale its "walls". Needless to say, we underestimated the sneaky ingenuity of single digit aged attackers.... Time for the barbed wire and boiling oil.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moxie
It's so you can get your hand down the gap to put the mattress pad and sheets on the mattress. And on the footer end there's the sheets, plus blanket or fluffly duvet or quilt to stuff down between the mattress and footboard. I have an antique bed without extra gap and it is very difficult to change the linens. I have to lift the whole mattress out and prop on the footboard to get the sheets wrapped around. Then stuffing the excess length of duvet out of the way is a chore. I prefer the gaps for that reason.
An inch or two maybe. When you can stand on the floor between the footboard and the mattress and still tuck in the sheets and comforter easily then there's something not quite right.

Speaking of comforters, we tried to buy a duvet yesterday. Well, a duv-it rather than a due-vay. But anyway, there were well over a hundred choices of comforter, each in different sizes. And guess how many duv-it covers? Just three choices: cream, green, or blue. I know I could probably get them elsewhere: I was just surprised at how even a big linen store would have such a tiny selection.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:36 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

The gap is there so that the clown can reach up from under the bed with his creepy, elongated arms.....
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:39 pm

That'll keep the kids in their own beds.....

And maybe me with them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.