Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To become a US citizen or not?

To become a US citizen or not?

Old May 29th 2018, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Triple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To become a US citizen or not?

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Does it make a difference which passport you enter on as to which embassy you request help from, surely you remain a citizen of both countries and have the ability to choose? I would have thought that, if anything, the country in which you no longer reside as a PR would be more likely to shun offering services if you've taken up citizenship in another country and that it would be better to enter on it's passport because they wouldn't easily know you were not resident there.
In short, yes. As a dual (or more) national, whichever passport you enter a foreign country on, the country of that passport is the country that you will need to ask for help in an emergency. I don't believe the State Department offers any documentation on this issue, but it is the global operating standard. This isn't to say that the authorities of the country of your second, or third nationalities will never help you or recognize your plight, but they will typically point you to the nation of the passport upon which you entered for initial help.
Old May 29th 2018, 6:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triple
In short, yes. As a dual (or more) national, whichever passport you enter a foreign country on, the country of that passport is the country that you will need to ask for help in an emergency. I don't believe the State Department offers any documentation on this issue, but it is the global operating standard. This isn't to say that the authorities of the country of your second, or third nationalities will never help you or recognize your plight, but they will typically point you to the nation of the passport upon which you entered for initial help.
Indeed. You can’t shop around for the best consular assistance. If you are a dual national and there’s no difference in visa requirements it’s worth checking out the consular assistance options for your destination when selecting which passport to travel on.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Some great answers here already. Coming into the US as a dual national I did not originally intend to become a US citizen as well. In fact, I said that I would only naturalize once I'd learn to enjoy the game of American Football. That never happened, but I naturalized anyway. The reasons were many, but included having kids and for security wanting to have the same nationalities as them, especially if something was to happen to my wife; getting fed up of being treated like a criminal, particularly when CBP introduced border control finger printing for green card holders; the ability to move abroad again without the complications of potentially losing PR status and having to obtain a marriage visa to come back; the fact that the US became my home; and lastly because a very wise friend once advised I do it sooner rather than later, in case something changes and the immigration system gets clogged - getting it becomes more difficult - or something more sinister. Little did we expect the political environment to change like it did. 7 years later, I have zero regrets.

And with my English accent still as strong as the day I got here, I do not feel less English. I still get asked about my origins on a daily basis.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Indeed. You can’t shop around for the best consular assistance. If you are a dual national and there’s no difference in visa requirements it’s worth checking out the consular assistance options for your destination when selecting which passport to travel on.
And I'll add to that, that if you get into trouble as a dual national, legal or otherwise, in one of the countries of which you are a citizen, don't expect to get help from any other country of which you are also a citizen. It is unlikely you will.
travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html
Old May 29th 2018, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs

Being able to seek US consular assistance abroad rather than British is a definite “pro” to me. The FCO’s uselessness in that regard is well known, and the State Department has a fairly good reputation for at least trying to help distressed Americans abroad. We’re about to visit Tunisia and I am for sure going to enter there on my American passport, not my British.
Reminds me of the rescue of Jessica Buchanan and a Danish man being held for ransom in Somalia. Navy seals parachuted in, shot all nine hostage takers/guards and flew the pair out on helicopter. The Danish citizen commented later that he was lucky that he was captured with an American citizen.
Old May 30th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Does it make a difference which passport you enter on as to which embassy you request help from, surely you remain a citizen of both countries and have the ability to choose? I would have thought that, if anything, the country in which you no longer reside as a PR would be more likely to shun offering services if you've taken up citizenship in another country and that it would be better to enter on it's passport because they wouldn't easily know you were not resident there.
Probably it would make no difference, no, but if it came up with any DoS representatives that I had two passports, I feel it would be slightly advantageous to be able to say I entered as an American.

We're also visiting the UK, Italy, Malta and France and obviously I will use my UK passport to enter those countries whilst it still gives me access to the EU passports line.
Old May 31st 2018, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Probably it would make no difference, no, but if it came up with any DoS representatives that I had two passports, I feel it would be slightly advantageous to be able to say I entered as an American.

We're also visiting the UK, Italy, Malta and France and obviously I will use my UK passport to enter those countries whilst it still gives me access to the EU passports line.
It does not make any difference whatsoever.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:42 pm
GSH
Just Joined

GSH is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in the US since 1980 when I was nine. I'm an LPR with a Green Card. Never thought to become a citizen - being British why would you. At this point in my life I have no desire to become a citizen of the US. To stand and take an oath to this country, you've got to be kidding me. Not missing out on much - voting? What's the point. Nothing changes anyway. The politicians do what they want regardless. I'm only here because I work - if they kicked me out tomorrow I wouldn't cry. Sure it would be a bit of a hardship for a while but this isn't my country, England is. My parents went to Europe ten years ago for retirement. They couldn't have survived living here and having to pay rent. I wouldn't expect to retire here myself.

Last edited by GSH; May 31st 2018 at 3:47 pm.
Old May 31st 2018, 5:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSH
I've been in the US since 1980 when I was nine. I'm an LPR with a Green Card. Never thought to become a citizen - being British why would you. At this point in my life I have no desire to become a citizen of the US. To stand and take an oath to this country, you've got to be kidding me. Not missing out on much - voting? What's the point. Nothing changes anyway. The politicians do what they want regardless. I'm only here because I work - if they kicked me out tomorrow I wouldn't cry. Sure it would be a bit of a hardship for a while but this isn't my country, England is. My parents went to Europe ten years ago for retirement. They couldn't have survived living here and having to pay rent. I wouldn't expect to retire here myself.
If you only spent the first nine years of your life in the UK, you can't have much experience of what it is like to live there.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Being at retirement age and still paying rent would be considered by many to be poor retirement planning.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:20 pm
GSH
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If you only spent the first nine years of your life in the UK, you can't have much experience of what it is like to live there.
Absolutely true, but it also doesn't change the fact that I was born in England.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:22 pm
GSH
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Being at retirement age and still paying rent would be considered by many to be poor retirement planning.
Try living in Southern California and being able to purchase a home.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSH
Absolutely true, but it also doesn't change the fact that I was born in England.
And why do you think that counts for so much when you have minimal experience of the country? Sounds like the folks who visit Disney and as a result want to move to FL.
Old May 31st 2018, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GSH
Try living in Southern California and being able to purchase a home.
True but what would a house purchased in 1980 be worth today? I was there in early 1970's and friends of mine were buying nice houses for less than 20k.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSH
This seems to be the average reason for British expats who post here: I'm here for the cash. Sad reason for leaving your own country and burdening this country with that bad attitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.