Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To become a US citizen or not?

To become a US citizen or not?

Old May 26th 2018, 3:37 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To become a US citizen or not?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A lifetime ban from the UK is pretty difficult to achieve unless you earn the ire of the Home Secretary for political reasons. I’d be interested to know the circumstances if you are willing to share.

If you apply to retain your German citizenship before you naturalise then you can hold both.

He was refused under section 9 paragraph 320(2) and this cannot be overcome unless you can successfully make a CHR case that the denial is a breach of human rights. We did attempt this as we believe we have the human right to live together as a married couple in my country of birth. However, this was thrown out before it was started as we were told this would only be the case if there was anything stopping me from moving here. I was fully eligible for an immigrant visa here so no chance for the U.K. for us. I can assure you if there was any way around it we would have found it.

In order to main German citizenship one must demonstrate substantial ties to Germany. I currently have one on the list - a small workplace pension from the 1990s that I paid into for 3 years. I have no property, no bank account, no direct family members, no investments and cannot spend 6 months of the year there. So, I will not be eligible to maintain citizenship.
Old May 26th 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you live in country X become a citizen of country X. Otherwise you're always going to be a round peg in a square hole. You might like being a round peg in a square hole - until someone shows up with a hammer.

How anyone can look at the abuses going on with the immigrant population in the US at the moment and not naturalize if they're eligible is beyond my comprehension.
Nice way of summarizing why I have already put aside enough monies to submit an N400 at the earliest possible date, 65 days and counting, the hammer analogy should be more than enough incentive for anyone who can't imagine a good enough reason to naturalize...

I am of an age where I expect to spend the rest of my days as a US resident, even if I don't there are times when it might be handy having access to an embassy that isn't British (not that I can think of any right now) and if I do then it makes sense to enjoy the same privileges afforded to the natives. I will be no less British in either my eyes or those of the average natural born USC's..
Old May 27th 2018, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

What about being an independent?

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Do you identify as a Democrat or a Republican? If the former, please remain as an LPR.

Thank you.

Respectfully yours,

America.
Old May 27th 2018, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

How about not bringing politics into a thread where they're not needed or even welcomed?
Old May 27th 2018, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Con 1 is a non-starter. Holding dual citizenship doesn’t make you any less British/English. Both LPRs and citizens are liable for tax declarations regardless of their country of residence. Obviously it is easier to abandon your LPR than it is your citizenship but you won’t actually pay any tax to the US unless you live in a low/zero tax country. On the pro side voting and being able to come and go as you please indefinitely is a big bonus as is the ability to pass on US citizenship to children born anywhere in the world. Personally I wouldn’t have any hesitation in naturalising if given the opportunity.
Not quite true...we live in Canada...pay Canadian taxes...we also pay quite a bit to Uncle Sam.
Old May 27th 2018, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
How about not bringing politics into a thread where they're not needed or even welcomed?
Old May 27th 2018, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not quite true...we live in Canada...pay Canadian taxes...we also pay quite a bit to Uncle Sam.
As well as my Canadian, now also USC husband, pays both Canadian taxes and US taxes. And this is just on retirement benefits from his respective governments.
Old May 27th 2018, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The way I look at it, if you have a nexus with the US - spouse, children etc - it's preferable to go the citizenship route. Otoh, if you believe that there is a strong possibility that you will leave the US permanently at some point, I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of situations where being a US citizen abroad can cause you to have to pay tax to the US. And thats before considering all the banking problems that US citizens are now running into abroad thanks to FATCA. Of course, you could renounce your citizenship, but that's more tricky - and expensive - than abandoning a green card. I have US citizenship but I am very sure I would renounce if I were ever to move back to the UK permanently.
Old May 28th 2018, 12:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
He was refused under section 9 paragraph 320(2) and this cannot be overcome unless you can successfully make a CHR case that the denial is a breach of human rights. We did attempt this as we believe we have the human right to live together as a married couple in my country of birth. However, this was thrown out before it was started as we were told this would only be the case if there was anything stopping me from moving here. I was fully eligible for an immigrant visa here so no chance for the U.K. for us. I can assure you if there was any way around it we would have found it.

So he was sentenced to at least four years imprisonment. The way around it would be renounce your British citizenship and use your EEA freedom of movement rights to enable both of you to move to the UK. The nuclear option, especially given Brexit, but a solution nonetheless. The Surinder Singh route would also work, providing you didn't chose Germany, which would mean not having to give up your British citizenship.

In order to main German citizenship one must demonstrate substantial ties to Germany. I currently have one on the list - a small workplace pension from the 1990s that I paid into for 3 years. I have no property, no bank account, no direct family members, no investments and cannot spend 6 months of the year there. So, I will not be eligible to maintain citizenship.
That's too bad.
Old May 28th 2018, 12:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Originally Posted by Rete
As well as my Canadian, now also USC husband, pays both Canadian taxes and US taxes. And this is just on retirement benefits from his respective governments.
Fair enough but the top rate of federal income tax in Canada is somewhat lower than the UK and a lot lower than a lot of other EU countries.

Last edited by BritInParis; May 28th 2018 at 12:37 am.
Old May 28th 2018, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough but the top rate of federal income tax in Canada is somewhat lower than the UK and a lot lower than a lot of other EU countries.
There are also Provincial income taxes. Likewise...State income taxes in the US. Don’t forget about the accountants’ fees for sorting out the complicated taxes.
Old May 28th 2018, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Nice way of summarizing why I have already put aside enough monies to submit an N400 at the earliest possible date, 65 days and counting, the hammer analogy should be more than enough incentive for anyone who can't imagine a good enough reason to naturalize...

I am of an age where I expect to spend the rest of my days as a US resident, even if I don't there are times when it might be handy having access to an embassy that isn't British (not that I can think of any right now) and if I do then it makes sense to enjoy the same privileges afforded to the natives. I will be no less British in either my eyes or those of the average natural born USC's..
Being able to seek US consular assistance abroad rather than British is a definite “pro” to me. The FCO’s uselessness in that regard is well known, and the State Department has a fairly good reputation for at least trying to help distressed Americans abroad. We’re about to visit Tunisia and I am for sure going to enter there on my American passport, not my British.
Old May 28th 2018, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Giantaxe, a US nexus may be a reason to obtain USC but if one has any intention of relocating outside the US in the future, obtaining USC will require thorough consideration.

It's misleading, and downright disingenuous, to suggest anyone relocating outside the US in the future will not have a US tax problem. They may not have a problem, but again, that is not a certainty. The new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has caused unforeseen severe problems for a group of dual USCs living abroad (in this particular video it's Canada):

A further explanation of the above video:

Trump tax reform resulting in massive bills for thousands of Canadian residents CBC News

The effects have also been felt in the UK (See reply #1):

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=93372.0

Last edited by theOAP; May 28th 2018 at 10:10 am.
Old May 28th 2018, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs

Being able to seek US consular assistance abroad rather than British is a definite “pro” to me. The FCO’s uselessness in that regard is well known, and the State Department has a fairly good reputation for at least trying to help distressed Americans abroad. We’re about to visit Tunisia and I am for sure going to enter there on my American passport, not my British.
Does it make a difference which passport you enter on as to which embassy you request help from, surely you remain a citizen of both countries and have the ability to choose? I would have thought that, if anything, the country in which you no longer reside as a PR would be more likely to shun offering services if you've taken up citizenship in another country and that it would be better to enter on it's passport because they wouldn't easily know you were not resident there.
Old May 29th 2018, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Do you identify as a Democrat or a Republican? If the former, please remain as an LPR.

Thank you.

Respectfully yours,

America.
Wow politics on a non-trailer park thread... ok here's my rebuttal.

"Do you identify as Democrat or Republican? If the latter take a LONG hard look in the mirror, stop bashing yourself with that brick and once a normal person, become a citizen and vote with the former. Thanks, America."

---
EDIT:
Originally Posted by Guindalf
I see someone else had already handled it

Last edited by Hawkini; May 29th 2018 at 3:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.