Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Became a U.S. citizen a few weeks ago!

Became a U.S. citizen a few weeks ago!

Old Nov 11th 2023, 8:43 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Became a U.S. citizen a few weeks ago!

Finally free from having to deal with immigration (I hope!!), it’s been a wild ride from H1b to Greencard to citizenship!

I’ve been a member of this forum since the early 00’s, although not an avid poster (unless I was having a crisis!). Thank you to everyone who’s reached out to me over the years (I even had a phone conversation once); hopefully it’s time for me to pass on my pearls of wisdom now 😉
Old Nov 11th 2023, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Became a U.S. citizen a few weeks ago!

Congratulations!
Old Nov 12th 2023, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! In hindsight, would you have done it knowing how much effort and time it involved?
Old Nov 12th 2023, 2:39 am
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by destone
Congratulations! In hindsight, would you have done it knowing how much effort and time it involved?
I think so, the trade off was worth it. I’m not sure I would do it at this stage in my life mind you; I was in my early 30’s when I first started. Too old and set in my ways now 🤣
Old Nov 12th 2023, 7:03 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meryl
Finally free from having to deal with immigration (I hope!!), it’s been a wild ride from H1b to Greencard to citizenship!

I’ve been a member of this forum since the early 00’s, although not an avid poster (unless I was having a crisis!). Thank you to everyone who’s reached out to me over the years (I even had a phone conversation once); hopefully it’s time for me to pass on my pearls of wisdom now 😉
Congratulations! Make sure you vote next November, and encourage your friends and neighbors to vote! Think about joining the (strictly non-partisan) League of Women Voters!
Old Nov 12th 2023, 3:33 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Not that much time and effort. As I recall, fill in a form and send a check, get fingerprints, read a little to pass the test, attend an interview and subsequent swearing in ceremony. Becoming a citizen of another country should involve a little effort don’t you think?
Old Nov 12th 2023, 5:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Finally free from having to deal with immigration (I hope!!), it’s been a wild ride from H1b to Greencard to citizenship! ....
Hi Meryl, Congratulations!
Old Nov 12th 2023, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Not that much time and effort. As I recall, fill in a form and send a check, get fingerprints, read a little to pass the test, attend an interview and subsequent swearing in ceremony. Becoming a citizen of another country should involve a little effort don’t you think?
I'm guessing they were referring to the whole process of moving to the US, rather than simply the final step which is fairly straightforward.
Old Nov 12th 2023, 8:57 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hi Meryl, Congratulations!
Thanks!!!! I was actually quite emotional at the ceremony, my stiff upper lip quivered a little!
Old Nov 12th 2023, 8:58 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by postbox134
I'm guessing they were referring to the whole process of moving to the US, rather than simply the final step which is fairly straightforward.
I was indeed! If only it was all as simple as the last part of the journey!
Old Nov 12th 2023, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!!!! I was actually quite emotional at the ceremony, my stiff upper lip quivered a little!
Our ceremony was quite small. Our son was 16 and was doing civics at High School who were more than happy to allow him to accompany us. Being a minor he became a US citizen at the same time, confirmed by by the judge who asked him to accompany us all in the saying of the pledge of allegiance. A great memory.
Old Nov 12th 2023, 11:22 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Our ceremony was quite small. Our son was 16 and was doing civics at High School who were more than happy to allow him to accompany us. Being a minor he became a US citizen at the same time, confirmed by by the judge who asked him to accompany us all in the saying of the pledge of allegiance. A great memory.
Since I live in Dallas, there were a few hundred people at my ceremony, it was great looking around and seeing all different races of people there. There were a few whoops and cheers at the end, I actually got goosebumps, I honestly didn’t expect it to be as special as it was. I’m glad you and your family had a good experience too 😊
Old Nov 12th 2023, 11:26 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by robin1234
Congratulations! Make sure you vote next November, and encourage your friends and neighbors to vote! Think about joining the (strictly non-partisan) League of Women Voters!
I will definitely be voting (although I’m not sure we will have much to choose from🤦‍♀️); but I’ve always felt it’s important to have your voice heard. I’ve already been on the LWV website, I kind of like it!
Old Dec 6th 2023, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Ethereal_E is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats! Definitely less hassle coming back to the US after a long haul
Old Dec 12th 2023, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

Congratulations! I did the same last year.
Just one thing if others are thinking of doing it - if you have Global Entry the difference entering the US in my experience is zero for citizens and non-citizens. The big plus for me is being able to participate in elections. Especially these days!