Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bears in New Jersey!

Wikiposts

Bears in New Jersey!

Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bears in New Jersey!

As long as your are not looking down and texting on your phone, you should be ok...

Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

We have black bears in our area. They are generally timid. They raid our bird feeders and garbage around dusk if those items are inadvertently left out. Sometimes when my kids were little waiting for the bus, a bear would emerge from the woods. We trained the kids to yell at the bear, generally make noise and the bear would leave.

Skunks are more of a pest when our dogs get into them. Porcupines too are a pain because it takes forever to pull the quills out of the dogs' snouts' Deer ticks are more dangerous to us all than the bears.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

Mum 2 3, that photo is amazing! Looks like they were really close.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Have done lots of googling and it seems like I will just have to get used to seeing bears here! Funny about the fences though, we've seen 15 houses and only one of them had a fenced in garden. I take the point about a fence not stopping a bear though.

My realtor just told me that coyotes are more bothersome than the bears, something else to worry about- aaaaargghh
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suz16
Mum 2 3, that photo is amazing! Looks like they were really close.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Have done lots of googling and it seems like I will just have to get used to seeing bears here! Funny about the fences though, we've seen 15 houses and only one of them had a fenced in garden. I take the point about a fence not stopping a bear though.

My realtor just told me that coyotes are more bothersome than the bears, something else to worry about- aaaaargghh
Especially if you have cats that go outdoors. I haven't heard of coyotes attacking people and if it has occurred, it is extremely rare.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Especially if you have cats that go outdoors. I haven't heard of coyotes attacking people and if it has occurred, it is extremely rare.
I recall one attacking a baby who was outside sleeping. Cats and small dogs are food for the coyote. I also worry about a large hawk or eagle getting my little dog...she is not allowed outdoors unless she is by our side.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I recall one attacking a baby who was outside sleeping. Cats and small dogs are food for the coyote. I also worry about a large hawk or eagle getting my little dog...she is not allowed outdoors unless she is by our side.
I used to live on a hill surrounded by a large amount of open space and a creek at the bottom of the hill and my main worry were the eagles (many were flying overhead every day) when my cat was outdoors. When someone spotted a coyote in the area, they sent out emails warning people to keep their cats in their house. The only other major concern with my cat were the raccoons but they didn't seem to bother the cats in the area except to eat their food if food was left out.

The only other annoyance was that the neighbor had a dog that they kept in on their deck during the day but he was too small to get over the top. Initially when they got the dog and my cat was going down to the creek for his daily stroll, the dog started barking and my cat quickly went to the creek. After a while my cat discovered that the dog couldn't get out so he would sit about 15' from the deck with his back turned away driving the dog crazy. Then he would go lie under a bush about 2' from the deck and that really made the dog crazy.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live on a hill surrounded by a large amount of open space and a creek at the bottom of the hill and my main worry were the eagles (many were flying overhead every day) when my cat was outdoors. When someone spotted a coyote in the area, they sent out emails warning people to keep their cats in their house. The only other major concern with my cat were the raccoons but they didn't seem to bother the cats in the area except to eat their food if food was left out.

The only other annoyance was that the neighbor had a dog that they kept in on their deck during the day but he was too small to get over the top. Initially when they got the dog and my cat was going down to the creek for his daily stroll, the dog started barking and my cat quickly went to the creek. After a while my cat discovered that the dog couldn't get out so he would sit about 15' from the deck with his back turned away driving the dog crazy. Then he would go lie under a bush about 2' from the deck and that really made the dog crazy.

I hate yapping/barking dogs...and their owners for allowing them to do so.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hate yapping/barking dogs...and their owners for allowing them to do so.
My cat knew he was teasing the dog. The dog ran back and forth on the deck jumping up and down thinking there must be a way to get at that cat.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sheilauk is an unknown quantity at this point

The Bears worry me as well as we are looking to move to NY State. We have 2 Newfoundland dogs, both black and weigh 10 stone and 11 stone. From a distance I could imagine some over zealous hunter thinking they could be Bears.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sheilauk
The Bears worry me as well as we are looking to move to NY State. We have 2 Newfoundland dogs, both black and weigh 10 stone and 11 stone. From a distance I could imagine some over zealous hunter thinking they could be Bears.
I suppose that is possible since some hunters seem to think that someone wearing a red/yellow jacket is a deer.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:19 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Or that someone's arse is a duck.

Regards, JEff

I suppose that is possible since some hunters seem to think that someone wearing a red/yellow jacket is a deer.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

One of daughter's teachers has poor vision. One evening she walked down the drive to bring her standard poodle indoors...as she got close she realised it wasn't her dog but a bear.
That made me think of the Sears ad when she ushers in the racoon thinking it is her cat.... 'come snuggle with mama' LOL
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:06 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But don't leave peanut butter sandwiches out in your car or you might find it wrecked.

Happened to FIL one summer, with the added bonus that the bear took a dump on his seat afterwards.

He'd only nipped out to use the loos This was out in the woods though and up in Maine.

(To be read in best David Attenborough accent...)

....and so we have the answer to the eternal question " do bears sh1t in the woods", which would appear to be "yes unless they have somewhere more comfortable, such as Bob's FIL's truck"