Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beaches in California / Florida - compare & contrast..

Beaches in California / Florida - compare & contrast..

Old May 13th 2009, 1:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beaches in California / Florida - compare & contrast..

Originally Posted by Dan725
Really? I've been diving in Key West and Cuba...excellent both times, and Key West is well known for good diving. Can't say I have in California, other than a couple of unimpressive "try-dives" before I got certified a while ago, so I was completely generalizing and also thinking about water temps, but just didn't have it down as a good diving destination (as much as I as a recreational diver here and there pay attention to it).

And...diving with Great Whites just ain't my bag either, quite frankly!!
You're just rubbing the Cuba thing in my face aren't you?

It's all in where exactly you go, I guess. We dived in Key West a couple of years ago and while I won an impressive award for managing to vomit underwater (yes, it works just the way your instructor told you it would) it isn't a place I'd line up to back to.
What I like in California are the Channel Islands and to some extent the Monterrey Bay area. Yes, the water's a little cool, but if you go in the late summer/early fall before bug season, it's quite nice. It has a very unique ecosystem there, and learning the kelp crawl is a must. Lots of sea lions & seals to play with you, tons of fish and no, I don't go out to GW territory!

We never did get any dives in on the Gulf side (we were just south of Tampa) and I do still want to do some diving in the springs out that way. I mean, I wouldn't say no to a dive in the Gulf given the chance, but if I had to pick between the Gulf (not the Keys) and California, well, that is why I made my pick.
I have dived an oil rig off Biloxi, and that was pretty cool. I think I got sick on that trip too but just topside.

If we're going to talk water temps, I have to say, Bonaire was an awesome good time. I've wanted to dive there since I got certified in the stone age and it lives up to its reputation. Just the self directed pace is heaven; drive to a spot that looks nice, leave the rental truck empty and unlocked, throw your tank on and walk in. If you like it, stay til your tank's dry and go get a fresh one out of the pickup. Nice!

We will just have to settle it by trying California AND Florida again.
If you come up here, bring your semi-dry.

Last edited by meauxna; May 13th 2009 at 1:27 am. Reason: too many damn smilies
Old May 13th 2009, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There's not much for me to like about Florida and the Gulf Coast, and there's a lot for me to like about California; but if I were looking for a balmy beach vacation (my idea of torture!) I'd go to Hawaii first, Florida second. I would not look to California for warm water ...
Old May 13th 2009, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Also, for the record, The Isle of Harris in Scotland has the best beaches EVER.

FACT.

Sunshine is overrated.
That's like saying 'beer is overrated' or 'fresh air is overrated'. I've been in CA for 25 years and I still LOVE waking up to see clear blue skies, and being able to walk around in light clothing. I think there have been studies performed on the effects of sunshine, and it sure does work for me.
Old May 13th 2009, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

mt.winterbottom is an unknown quantity at this point

True that, the Scottish islands have some amazing beaches.

Here my call would be for the Big Sur beaches, but by the sounds of things if you are accustomed to Florida - and are looking for Florida transposed somewhere else - then guess what? I say stay in Florida...