Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beaches in California / Florida - compare & contrast..

Beaches in California / Florida - compare & contrast..

Old May 5th 2009, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beaches in California / Florida - compare & contrast..

The water in California typically hit the low 70's in the summer a few times but will generally stay in the mid to high 60's in most of southern California.

Coastal Southern California temps are more mild as well, staying in the mid 70's provided there isn't a heatwave or Santa Ana coming through at the time.

Also summer in Southern California comes later in the year with Mid July to early fall having the warmest temps.

The sand is not the softest in the world, its similiar to the sand found in the local deserts and depending on the beach could have come from the desert as well to help with erosion since some beaches are not naturally sandy but sand makes tourists happy.

San Diego beaches are nicest north of the Naval facilities in the south bay, anything too far south and you get pollution issues from Mexico.

They call it May gray and June gloom for a reason. Some years are better then other years.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html

Average temps for the pacific coastal water. Scripps Pier is located in San Diego.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html
Eastern Gulf Coast

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

Western Gulf Coast

You will see a pretty significant difference in summer temps.

The cold water off California is what keeps those pesky hurricaines away.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I went to the Gulf Coast of Florida the sea was like a bath, i.e. it was very warm.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
given that we really like the Gulf coast beaches are we likely to find something we like, or might we be disappointed??
I hesitated to answer because I haven't been to the So Cal beaches for a while but based on your other answers in the thread, I'd say stick with the Gulf. We were on the Gulf Coast two years ago, and the beaches are fairly unique over there. The Gulf is SO different from having the Pacific pounding away and the Gulf water is going to be much warmer.

What about other parts of the Gulf Coast? Texas has a nice, if crowded, exposure. Mississippi doesn't have the soft sand (it's all imported) but the panhandle of Florida is nice if you like that sort of thing.

For me, I'd pick California for all the other stuff. I'd actually probably go to Mexico. But if you want a nice quiet lay in the sand sort of time, maybe you should stick with what you already like?
Old May 6th 2009, 2:44 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Last time I went to the Gulf Coast of Florida the sea was like a bath, i.e. it was very warm.
Last time I jumped in the Pacific Ocean on Long Beach in August it was friggin cold and I jumped right back out again!
Old May 6th 2009, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

California has a current off the coast that goes from north to south moving the cold artic water past California. Therefore even by time the water gets to Southern California is still quite cool but much warmer than Northern California.

However, California also has a very stong high pressure system that sits off the coast all summer long pushing any storms into Pacific Northwest, Canada, or Mexico.

Fog banks sit off the coast of California during the summer usually moving in overnight dropping temperatures but burns off after the sun rises. As you move further south along the coast, the fog gets less dense, burns off more quickly, and does not cover areas very far inland.

This gives California cloudless low humidity mild summers.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'd actually probably go to Mexico.

This is a good idea to consider.

I went to Cabo San Lucas last year and had an excellent time.
Old May 6th 2009, 3:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag

Oh yeah, if you go after all the children are back in school it's even better.

Well, not Cabo, but out and about a bit.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caleyjag

My friends and I used to go there 1-2 times a month when I was working for an airline, great time and great place to visit.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Been to beaches both sides. Its right what other people have said, the Pacific is colder than the Gulf of Mexico (I have also been the atlantic side of Florida which has generally rougher seas and are chillier than the Gulf side).

But, you can get cracking beaches in Florida and California both, so it probably depends on what else you like to do. If you want to go surfing for instance, California is the place. Scuba diving, I'd probably say Gulf of Mexico is better.

As you've done the Gulf ones though...maybe a change would be good?
Old May 8th 2009, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
Scuba diving, I'd probably say Gulf of Mexico is better.
ooh, we should talk. On that one, I'd definitely pick California. If you want to see more than sand, that is.
Old May 10th 2009, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Shepton is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.sandiegocoastlife.com/san...cks-beach.html

describes different beaches. Blacks is one of California's famed free beaches.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Shepton is an unknown quantity at this point

Some web sites describe various beaches in San Diego area -- try sandiegocoastlife.com/san-diego-beaches/beaches-blacks-beach.html

Blacks Beach is one of the classic free beaches.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shepton
Some web sites describe various beaches in San Diego area -- try sandiegocoastlife.com/san-diego-beaches/beaches-blacks-beach.html

Blacks Beach is one of the classic free beaches.
Classic for the (.)(.) right?
Old May 13th 2009, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
ooh, we should talk. On that one, I'd definitely pick California. If you want to see more than sand, that is.
Really? I've been diving in Key West and Cuba...excellent both times, and Key West is well known for good diving. Can't say I have in California, other than a couple of unimpressive "try-dives" before I got certified a while ago, so I was completely generalizing and also thinking about water temps, but just didn't have it down as a good diving destination (as much as I as a recreational diver here and there pay attention to it).

And...diving with Great Whites just ain't my bag either, quite frankly!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.