Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC UK Journalist - were best to look for work !!

BBC UK Journalist - were best to look for work !!

Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:38 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BBC UK Journalist - were best to look for work !!

Originally Posted by georgiaw
One of the other posters has a friend / colleague that does the journey and he takes about 45 mins to do 7 miles .....

Do you suffer the same ???

I'm guessing that some districts will be worse than others maybe
Yup, the issues for me are that I live about half-way between the end of the blue and orange lines and also work is about 15 mins away from the red line!

With regards the drive, once I clear Tysons Corner it's a clear run, just the first half is the pain :curse:
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest issue for me living in NoVa is the unknown. It sounds like the previous poster has to go over the Legion Bridge, and if there is an accident or something, you can add 20 minutes to your commute. It's really frustrating.

If you are serious about the DC area, I'd recommend you sort of start to gauge where to live with a bit of a matrix of :

housing cost
public (free) schools
commuting time
night life / shopping
community charm.

http://www.realtor.com will let you search for houses by zip code and you can start to assess what you'll be able to afford.

Of course it really all depends on where you hubby ends up working.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:45 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The biggest issue for me living in NoVa is the unknown. It sounds like the previous poster has to go over the Legion Bridge, and if there is an accident or something, you can add 20 minutes to your commute. It's really frustrating.
Yup, over the legion bridge every morning, although I usually return using the HOV's to the great Springfield mixing bowl.

Generally (touch a lot of wood), the legion bridge isn't a big problem for me. Sometimes (maybe once every two months) someone will have seen a snow flake and panicked!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice

Originally Posted by penguinsix

If you are serious about the DC area, I'd recommend you sort of start to gauge where to live with a bit of a matrix of :

housing cost
public (free) schools
commuting time
night life / shopping
community charm.

http://www.realtor.com will let you search for houses by zip code and you can start to assess what you'll be able to afford.

Of course it really all depends on where you hubby ends up working.
Already on that - we found realtor.com a while ago and it's a fab site - gives a really good idea on what we can afford and we take it from there on the rest !!!

I'm just glad I found this site - most of the advice I get is great and really helpful !!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Voltore
Yup, the issues for me are that I live about half-way between the end of the blue and orange lines and also work is about 15 mins away from the red line!

With regards the drive, once I clear Tysons Corner it's a clear run, just the first half is the pain :curse:
I know what you mean - I think if you plan to live near any major city then you have to expect a commute !! we've just got to try to balance that against the other areas of importance !!!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:17 am
Just Joined

SuzanneMaria is just really niceSuzanneMaria is just really niceSuzanneMaria is just really niceSuzanneMaria is just really niceSuzanneMaria is just really niceSuzanneMaria is just really niceSuzanneMaria is just really niceSuzanneMaria is just really nice

Originally Posted by frrussre
This is a RUFF crowd.
Welcome.
Reg. Frank R.
I lived in the D.C. area for 25 years, and have a bachelor's in journalism. I'm now a freelance editor for the Justice Department, although I live in England (I'm American and my husband is English). Your best bet would be to go to D.C., not New York, and try to get a job with one of the surrounding county papers (such as Montgomery, Fairfax, etc.). Once you have enough decent clips from those papers, you should take a shot at The Washington Post. It doesn't get more prestigious than that, but you have to earn it. I hope that helps.