Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC UK Journalist - were best to look for work !!

BBC UK Journalist - were best to look for work !!

Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC UK Journalist - were best to look for work !!

Originally Posted by AlienUk
While you`re in the amending mood, `fair` should be `fare`

<<helpful
Don't trip over your boobs!
Reg Frank R.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by frrussre
Don't trip over your boobs!
Reg Frank R.
tee hee....I have panniers to carry them in!!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
tee hee....I have panniers to carry them in!!
Don't swing your panniers 2 high, at the New Year celebrations, you might give someone black eyes.
Happy New Year.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

plenty of big accountancy type firms in beantown...as for journo's, boston post would be the big one around here....tv stuff would be arse, poor sods having to do live stories even if it is pants out and 6 or so hours after the incident has been tidied up etc
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georgiaw
We have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old and education is extremely important to us so we are looking into the education in the states we are looking at - it appears that MA is ok for education - dependant very much on the area or locality you live in obviously
lot of great schools, but those areas tend to be lot more pricey to live in...but the burbs aren't to bad, newton, watertown, wayland etc....there's also the Brit school in Jamaica Plains which is on the edge of boston, very much, also quite a nice area to live if you don't live in the shit side of it.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Umm I know it's expensive, and maybe i'm being niave but isn't every good area ??? we have initially been looking at Boston - but all the "good" areas there are at least as expensive if not more so.........

plus isn't there a good rail link between downtown DC and northern VA ?? or am I being niave ?
Rail network is pants...but you can get to most places via South or North Station in beantown, and air links aren't to bad, cheaper and less hassle via Manchester in NH though rather than Logon.

Public transport in Beantown is pretty good though, as long as you've the T...it's a bit poo once you hit Dedham and the last stop is Riverside in Newton.

Ashland, Holliston, Shelborn aren't bad, nice areas to live, 10-15 mins drive to Riverside and then about a half hour to Southstation.

things to look out for though that make a big difference, type of heat used, as oil ain't cheap...and also off street parking makes a big difference in car insurance...and check to see if winter ploughing is included in rent etc as it is a pain in the arse and not cheap.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:17 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

I'm ex-BBC (many years ago) and now work in a DC TV station although not as a journalist.

The BBC background will carry a pedigree but, and this is a big but, stations in the Top 10 markets (LA, NY, DC, Boston etc.) are the dreams of many aspiring journalists, it's is like their holy grail. So, usually they come to these markets with many years experience in smaller markets where they work the arse off for little reward! Also, the TV news is far more competitive here than over there, most markets have 4 stations competing for a shrinking audience!

That said, I have heard UK accents on NY stations (the Fox one I believe) but not in DC (I'd have spotted that one!). All the 24hr news stations have a large presence in NY & DC and UK accents are frequently heard.

Here's the other good news, Health is an increasing area getting more focus in many stations. Would suggest looking at a industry jobs website like www.tvjobs.com (paid but worth it), also get that showreel together of his best stories (converted to NTSC and on DVD as well as a website).

Just saw that you're an accountant. One of my British friends here is a Charted Accountant in the UK, and for a while struggled to even get interviews because he didn't have a BA in accounting, they didn't understand "Chartered" was top of the tree. He had also worked as an accountant for a large global company based in DC, but that meant squat without the BA in Accounting (narrow minded or what). Eventually he persevered and one step below CFO for a large US media group. Just be prepared to bash your head against a brick wall and don't take NO for an answer.

Good luck and welcome.

Last edited by Voltore; Jan 1st 2008 at 11:21 am.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Voltore
I'm ex-BBC (many years ago) and now work in a DC TV station although not as a journalist.

The BBC background will carry a pedigree but, and this is a big but, stations in the Top 10 markets (LA, NY, DC, Boston etc.) are the dreams of many aspiring journalists, it's is like their holy grail. So, usually they come to these markets with many years experience in smaller markets where they work the arse off for little reward! Also, the TV news is far more competitive here than over there, most markets have 4 stations competing for a shrinking audience!

That said, I have heard UK accents on NY stations (the Fox one I believe) but not in DC (I'd have spotted that one!). All the 24hr news stations have a large presence in NY & DC and UK accents are frequently heard.

Here's the other good news, Health is an increasing area getting more focus in many stations. Would suggest looking at a industry jobs website like www.tvjobs.com (paid but worth it), also get that showreel together of his best stories (converted to NTSC and on DVD as well as a website).

Just saw that you're an accountant. One of my British friends here is a Charted Accountant in the UK, and for a while struggled to even get interviews because he didn't have a BA in accounting, they didn't understand "Chartered" was top of the tree. He had also worked as an accountant for a large global company based in DC, but that meant squat without the BA in Accounting (narrow minded or what). Eventually he persevered and one step below CFO for a large US media group. Just be prepared to bash your head against a brick wall and don't take NO for an answer.

Good luck and welcome.
Thanks so much what fab advice - I had heard it was difficult accountancy wise and i'm already having my qualifications assessed to see what I need to do to convert and take the CPA exams - so i'm prepared to take a lower paid job and convert my qualifications - i've also worked for american companies - i.e. walt disney over here so i'm hoping that might help !!!

I notice you're a cornish pasty lover - you're not originally from down that way per chance ???

And do you live in NoVA ??
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention these sites. Not British Expats, but folks who are moving state to state and need information about schools, neighborhoods, etc. Worth a look (they have a message board for every state and most major cities)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryland/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington-dc/
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:42 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Thanks so much what fab advice - I had heard it was difficult accountancy wise and i'm already having my qualifications assessed to see what I need to do to convert and take the CPA exams - so i'm prepared to take a lower paid job and convert my qualifications - i've also worked for american companies - i.e. walt disney over here so i'm hoping that might help !!!

I notice you're a cornish pasty lover - you're not originally from down that way per chance ???

And do you live in NoVA ??
Looks like you're already planning well. Yup, I do love Cornish Pasties, most pies in fact, but no, I am from (and just come back from a nice relaxing week) Cleethorpes (Well, someone has to, although I did leave the lights on when I left!).

Yes, I do live in NoVa, Burke to be precise, (great name for a brit to live in ) I did live in DC itself for 3 years when I arrived but now have gone surburban. Traffic drives me nuts, but then so did the Tube!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice

Looks like you're already planning well. Yup, I do love Cornish Pasties, most pies in fact, but no, I am from (and just come back from a nice relaxing week) Cleethorpes (Well, someone has to, although I did leave the lights on when I left!).

Yes, I do live in NoVa, Burke to be precise, (great name for a brit to live in ) I did live in DC itself for 3 years when I arrived but now have gone surburban. Traffic drives me nuts, but then so did the Tube!
Just wondered as I'm from pasty land !!!

We're looking at NoVA I know the commute would be a nightmare but i'm hoping to work more local with hubby having to do the commute !!! but we'll see - It's just a starting point really ......

Can you not drive to Vienna metro station and tube it in ??? or is the just something we do over here but it's done there ???
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Forgot to mention these sites. Not British Expats, but folks who are moving state to state and need information about schools, neighborhoods, etc. Worth a look (they have a message board for every state and most major cities)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryland/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington-dc/
Thanks for this - will have a look - we've not looked at maryland yet it's next on my list !!!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:57 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

JWe're looking at NoVA I know the commute would be a nightmare but i'm hoping to work more local with hubby having to do the commute !!! but we'll see - It's just a starting point really ......

Can you not drive to Vienna metro station and tube it in ??? or is the just something we do over here but it's done there ???
I could do, Franconia-Springfield is a little nearer, but for me I would have to change to the red line at Metro Center and then rattle around for a few more mins then walk about 15 minutes afterwards and all in all, driving saves about 30 mins on that journey. I live near the VRE which runs only to feed people into the federal people muncher and then spits them out at night. I would frequently miss the last train home (at a decidedly ungreen 7pm)
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

I could do, Franconia-Springfield is a little nearer, but for me I would have to change to the red line at Metro Center and then rattle around for a few more mins then walk about 15 minutes afterwards and all in all, driving saves about 30 mins on that journey. I live near the VRE which runs only to feed people into the federal people muncher and then spits them out at night. I would frequently miss the last train home (at a decidedly ungreen 7pm)
One of the other posters has a friend / colleague that does the journey and he takes about 45 mins to do 7 miles .....

Do you suffer the same ???

I'm guessing that some districts will be worse than others maybe
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Getting your stuff assessed and converted is a waste of time and money, the industry isn't regulated so anyone can set up shop. WES and a couple others have a better reputation, but only worth doing if asked to do so because certain companies will use a certain service, so you might have to do it multiple times. Also look at state requirements to get registered as a cpa as it varies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.