British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BBC Sounds App (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bbc-sounds-app-942343/)

Andrews Mum Jan 14th 2022 2:56 am

BBC Sounds App

I appreciate this is less relevant than a lot of threads, although it’s one that may have been posted before so apologies if so, but just a heads-up for anyone who’s interested that, unlike the BBC iplayer, the BBC Sounds app is available to download on an iphone/ipad from the US app store. (No idea about non-Apple devices but assume it’s available to others too). I listen to BBC radio programmes (live and catch-up) and podcasts on it at home and in the car (on CarPlay).

Being a relative newcomer to the US I assumed that it was common knowledge that it was available here but discovered, after talking to fellow Brits who have been here a lot longer than me, that that isn’t the case. It might not be for everyone but I enjoy listening to shows I listened to before moving, and it’s a good way of keeping up with what’s happening back in the UK (including travel, or rather stationary traffic, news!!!)

robin1234 Jan 14th 2022 12:22 pm

Re: BBC Sounds App

Good heads-up, thanks. It has evolved over the years - originally, iplayer was the platform for both radio and tv, now, as you say, the app is the main gateway to radio & podcasts. I’m currently listening to The Coming Storm, a podcast series about the vast right-wing conspiracy, Q-Anon, the anti-Clinton conspiracy theories etc. I’m learning a lot from it. I lived through that era, but either never heard this stuff (or I deliberately forgot it.)

Just a general point, I enjoy reading/hearing about Britain from American sources, and equally, reading/hearing about America from British sources. For instance, coverage of British politics & society in the New York Times and the New Yorker. And those documentaries by Theroux about the Westboro Baptist Church and other crazy US phenomena.

SanDiegogirl Jan 14th 2022 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Andrews Mum (Post 13087968)
I appreciate this is less relevant than a lot of threads, although it’s one that may have been posted before so apologies if so, but just a heads-up for anyone who’s interested that, unlike the BBC iplayer, the BBC Sounds app is available to download on an iphone/ipad from the US app store. (No idea about non-Apple devices but assume it’s available to others too). I listen to BBC radio programmes (live and catch-up) and podcasts on it at home and in the car (on CarPlay).

Being a relative newcomer to the US I assumed that it was common knowledge that it was available here but discovered, after talking to fellow Brits who have been here a lot longer than me, that that isn’t the case. It might not be for everyone but I enjoy listening to shows I listened to before moving, and it’s a good way of keeping up with what’s happening back in the UK (including travel, or rather stationary traffic, news!!!)

Yup.... I've got BBC Sounds on my Android.... have to keep up with the Archers even though I've been in the US 20 years...... and also Yes Minister..... ah those were the days......

lizzyq Jan 14th 2022 7:07 pm

I also listen to BBC radio stations directly via my smart speaker, particularly R3 when I am sewing.

robin1234 Jan 14th 2022 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 13088121)
I also listen to BBC radio stations directly via my smart speaker, particularly R3 when I am sewing.

While there’s still plenty of good content on R3, it ain’t what it used to be. Too much inane talk for my liking. I tend to listen to New England Public Media, from Amherst, Massachusetts, where they keep up the good old standards of wall-to-wall, heavy duty serious music, with a minimum of “chit-chat” in between. Another good one is WQXR from New York City. Both those stations get a goodly donation from me each year..

Even when in England I tend to listen to one of those two rather than Radio 3.