Reload this Page >

BBC Radio Player

BBC Radio Player

Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question BBC Radio Player

Hi everyone

I've been in Oklahoma for around 3 months now - rely heavily on BBC radio via their website, but for the last few days have been unable to access their radio player. They did update the player and re-launched on 25 Jan, after which it was fine for a while. I have tried to contact them to ask if it's a problem at their end but can get no response which helps. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it likely to be something at my end. I'm on cable. I've updated Real Player. Can't think of anything else to ry.....any ideas?
Thanks
Ann
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Radio Player

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Hi everyone

I've been in Oklahoma for around 3 months now - rely heavily on BBC radio via their website, but for the last few days have been unable to access their radio player. They did update the player and re-launched on 25 Jan, after which it was fine for a while. I have tried to contact them to ask if it's a problem at their end but can get no response which helps. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it likely to be something at my end. I'm on cable. I've updated Real Player. Can't think of anything else to ry.....any ideas?
Thanks
Ann

I was using it earlier this week without problems, I know the limit certain things to the UK only so what was it you were trying to watch?

Are you using Firefox, I've had problems with that. Also have you tried using Windows Media Player rather than RealPlayer?

-tom
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:57 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about Mozilla and Firefox, it only seems to work on Internet Explorer.
The only thing they usually block are the live sports and music events. Go here
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/

Scroll down for whichever BBC station you want and click on the SURESTREAM link next to it...these work a lot better for me because it doesnt use the embedded Real player on the site.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I was using it earlier this week without problems, I know the limit certain things to the UK only so what was it you were trying to watch?

Are you using Firefox, I've had problems with that. Also have you tried using Windows Media Player rather than RealPlayer?

-tom
Thanks for the reply tom - I 've tried to access various progs - re-runs of musical items, Terry Wogan's breakfast prog, Jazz Legends, Billy May Story, etc - nothing on any of them, yet a couple of weeks ago all was fine.
They stipulate that one needs Real Player, so Win Media will not help unfortunately. Hmmmm...dunno what to try next! If you had it working this week it look as though it's a fault at my end.
Thanks again
Ann
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't a problem with I use it embedded in FF...just when I use it as a stand alone player that the feeds kacks out on me...haven't figured it out either...
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
I agree about Mozilla and Firefox, it only seems to work on Internet Explorer.
The only thing they usually block are the live sports and music events. Go here
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/
Nice link...only prob is that the feeds are just so quiet....??
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:13 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nice link...only prob is that the feeds are just so quiet....??
Yeah they are a bit...I have mine hooked up to the hi-fi so it isnt a problem. Either that or turn up volume on windows and real player speakers.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Thanks for the reply tom - I 've tried to access various progs - re-runs of musical items, Terry Wogan's breakfast prog, Jazz Legends, Billy May Story, etc - nothing on any of them, yet a couple of weeks ago all was fine.
They stipulate that one needs Real Player, so Win Media will not help unfortunately. Hmmmm...dunno what to try next! If you had it working this week it look as though it's a fault at my end.
Thanks again
Ann
You can change the player at the bottom of the BBC feeds, I think it says something like 'Change the way I view this media' or something along those lines.

-tom
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by tony_2003
Yeah they are a bit...I have mine hooked up to the hi-fi so it isnt a problem. Either that or turn up volume on windows and real player speakers.
yeah, that's what I do...don't half scare the crap out of me when I get an email notification though *lol*
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You can change the player at the bottom of the BBC feeds, I think it says something like 'Change the way I view this media' or something along those lines.

-tom
Thanks again, tom, Tony and Bob.
The radio feed link is very useful! I can get some BBC stations via that, but on Radio2 and some local stations the "page not available" sign comes up - so perhaps the BBC is having difficulties. I'll keep trying.
Best wishes
Ann
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: BBC Radio Player

If you're interested in the BBC World Service radio programmes you can get them on satellite radio (in your house or/and your car). I listen to mine all the time.

There are two providers of the radios - 'Delphi' and 'Sirius'. I have the Delphi in the house but we could play it in the car if we chose as we have the adaptor kit...just never got round to installing it!

You can get the satellite radios from places like Best Buy, Circuit City etc.....and no you don't use a big satellite dish LOL!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

http://www.xmradio.com/ (120+ channels with *no* adverts....bliss!). The BBC is listed under 'news' channels).
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If you're interested in the BBC World Service radio programmes you can get them on satellite radio (in your house or/and your car). I listen to mine all the time.

There are two providers of the radios - 'Delphi' and 'Sirius'. I have the Delphi in the house but we could play it in the car if we chose as we have the adaptor kit...just never got round to installing it!

You can get the satellite radios from places like Best Buy, Circuit City etc.....and no you don't use a big satellite dish LOL!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

http://www.xmradio.com/ (120+ channels with *no* adverts....bliss!). The BBC is listed under 'news' channels).
Thanks Englishmum - that's something I'll probably consider in the near future.
Ann