Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC News video service.

BBC News video service.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC News video service.

I'm not sure if this is new or old?, but I stumbled upon it today while reading the latest about the bombings.

http://asia-en.sg.real.com/partners/...R&rsrc=ifscons

$5.00 a month or $40 for the year.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC News video service.

Yeah. I went to click the live news from the BBC website only to be told that people overseas need to subscribe.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Yeah. I went to click the live news from the BBC website only to be told that people overseas need to subscribe.
Do you have your BBC Web site set to the UK edition or the World edition? You may want to switch to the UK version if you are set to World version and try again....
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do you have your BBC Web site set to the UK edition or the World edition? You may want to switch to the UK version if you are set to World version and try again....
It doesn't matter, it's based on your IP address. Unless you are going through a UK proxy then you will get the same thing regardless of what version you have it set to. I have it set to UK by the way.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The weird thing is, I was watching the live feed this morning and now I get the above link instead.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It doesn't matter, it's based on your IP address. Unless you are going through a UK proxy then you will get the same thing regardless of what version you have it set to. I have it set to UK by the way.
OK, hard luck, thought it was worth suggesting.

So if it's an IP thing then why can I receive the live feed? I don't even know what a UK poxy is when it's at home but I don't think that's what I have...
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:19 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
The weird thing is, I was watching the live feed this morning and now I get the above link instead.
I just checked and I'm still able to get the Live feed. Maybe they've lifted the international block while they are broadcasting news of the attacks on London ...?
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe your Internet company uses proxy servers with a UK IP address. All a bit weird really, I remember watching video recently. Now when I try to watch it I get a big white box where the text was this morning and the video still wont play. Wonder if the kinks are not worked out or something.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked and I'm still able to get the Live feed. Maybe they've lifted the international block while they are broadcasting news of the attacks on London ...?
I often look at it and have never had a problem.

A proxy is like a front address that you internet link goes through so it appears to the BBC site that you are in the UK.

I tried, failed to find a source for one, all the ones I came up with effectively gave you a random front, not just UK.

If anybody knows a simple foolproof UK only one, please shout!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
I often look at it and have never had a problem.

A proxy is like a front address that you internet link goes through so it appears to the BBC site that you are in the UK.

I tried, failed to find a source for one, all the ones I came up with effectively gave you a random front, not just UK.

If anybody knows a simple foolproof UK only one, please shout!
www.publicproxyservers.com has a list and some of them are UK. Most aren't good enough to hold an audio stream let alone a video. Sometimes you get lucky though. Easiest way to tell is set your BBC page to international, change the proxy and go back. If it loads quickly and gives you the UK page then you have yourself a decent UK proxy. Look for a transparent one too, anonymous ones won't work.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:48 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been getting it without a prob too.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I get the beeb no problem just by putting a UK postcode in my Real Player.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I get the beeb no problem just by putting a UK postcode in my Real Player.
But not Saturday afternoon footie?

You would have thought there would be sufficient demand from expats for someone to provide a reliable fronting service in the UK.

I would be happy to pay say a fiver a month.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
But not Saturday afternoon footie?

You would have thought there would be sufficient demand from expats for someone to provide a reliable fronting service in the UK.

I would be happy to pay say a fiver a month.
No, I'm afraid not footie, just BBC news 24 and the other programmes they offer on the site like Panorama, Question Time etc.

My hubby would be a happy boy indeed if he could get the footie.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've been getting it without a prob too.
Congrats to you and Mr Sibsie.

Back on topic. I find I can get the feed if I play it through windows media instead of the default I have on my work PC which is real player. I'm listening to 5 live right now.