Reload this Page >

BBC Iplayer whilst in US - is it possible

BBC Iplayer whilst in US - is it possible

Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Twinklekk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBC Iplayer whilst in US - is it possible

Hi

I am wondering if there is anyway to watch bbc iplayer whilst in the USA, I seen a few links on google however not sure if safe as tried to download one and it crashed my computer. Can anyone recommend a safe site so use to access BBC iplayer?

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

iray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really nice
Default Re: BBC Iplayer whilst in US - is it possible

Originally Posted by Twinklekk
Hi

I am wondering if there is anyway to watch bbc iplayer whilst in the USA, I seen a few links on google however not sure if safe as tried to download one and it crashed my computer. Can anyone recommend a safe site so use to access BBC iplayer?

Thanks
Afte living here 10 years, I rarely want to watch anything on the BBC, but I will post three things I've found incredibly useful from time to time, whether it be a football game shown only on BBC, or latest episodes of the Inbetweeners right after airing in the UK :
1) Expat Shield: UK Proxy, enables you to use the iplayer. Downside is it runs banner ads and a "Privacy Protection" thing unless you close it out in the system tray.

2) The software and links on this page: http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/28021

3) Usenet and NZB sites - upsides are you can find pretty much any TV show and it downloads fast and you're not filesharing, downsides are you have to pay and you're not getting shows live but more often the next day.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

I've found this site very helpful.
www.ibvpn.com

There's a small charge for the service, $19.95 for six months I think, but it's been completely worth it for us. We get BBC iPlayer, Channel Four OD, etc. It's great. Every night we curl up with a cuppa and an old Time Team. Bliss.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:38 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

First, try a search of this forum. You'll find about a dozen threads discussing this and proxies and VPNs.

I use overplay. It's a simple download and when you turn it on your computer 'appears' to be in the UK for iPlayer and 4oD purposes. http://overplay.net/r.php?i=4284621788 It's $10 a month and you get access not only to the UK but about 20-30 other countries as well (Ireland, Canada, Australia, etc). Can be helpful to have those other countries for sporting events like Rugby or Cricket.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, as mentioned, this gets asked on a weekly basis, so you probably don't even need to search for the answer.

For the odd one of events or sports showing, you can use ex-pat shield well enough, if you're going to watch a bit more than that, especially streaming HD content, then a proper VPN is the way to go, strongvpn/Overplay etc....I wouldn't pay for to much in advance though as these companies tend to come and go on a regular basis, but the two mentioned have been around a while.

A proper VPN also usually has iphone type apps, so you can be mobile, and unlike expat shield, you won't be tied down to web browser based tele, so you could use Spotify if you wanted to listen to music etc.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using ukunlock.com. It's a little more expensive than some of the others mentioned on here but it has worked flawlessly for me (BBC iPlayer, ITV player, CH4 OnDemand & Demand 5).
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:44 am
Custom User

brax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinklekk
Hi

Thanks
I came across a different approach today - thetelly.net

They provide short term and long term access plans. They appear to be using slingxboxes. They set up a slingbox for you to access. It looks like you can even have a DVR. It isn't cheap but is isn't all that expensive if it is what you really want.

Simon
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:54 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iray
1) Expat Shield: UK Proxy, enables you to use the iplayer. Downside is it runs banner ads and a "Privacy Protection" thing unless you close it out in the system tray.
I can second Expat Shield, we use it to watch Doctor Who and it works great. Occasionally the network is too bogged down to let us connect but more often than not it works fine.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I use Expat Shield too and it works fine. Apparently the BBC are going to be releasing an International version of the iPlayer so if you are an expat you can watch BBC shows. I think they are planning on having a fee to access it.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:08 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I use Expat Shield too and it works fine. Apparently the BBC are going to be releasing an International version of the iPlayer so if you are an expat you can watch BBC shows. I think they are planning on having a fee to access it.
I heard this will only be for iPads or something; not sure if they are making a computer-based one.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
I heard this will only be for iPads or something; not sure if they are making a computer-based one.
You're probably right.

If anyone hasn't heard about it and wants to be notified when it is launched. this is the BBC link to sign up for launch news etc.