Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC iPlayer in US

BBC iPlayer in US

Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC iPlayer in US

Originally Posted by helwardman
1. Using a proxy server is not illegal.
unless your in China
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:59 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
Uknova is a torrent sharing site -one of a couple Im a member of, I download all my fav UK shows inc EE and Corrie every week.
then I just use my PS3 media extender to watch them on my big screen TV via my home network !

-eagerly awaiting the new Doc Martin and New Tricks Series !
thanks, I am sorted, I really...oh I am such a technoidiot, thanks, anyway
Oh and if I use a proxy server from my cousin and me to him its not illegal? he is doing forensic computing at Uni and seemed to think it was (that said 1st year)
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
Oh and if I use a proxy server from my cousin and me to him its not illegal? he is doing forensic computing at Uni and seemed to think it was (that said 1st year)
chances are he'd be setting up a VPN for you...and no, it's not illegal....doing something illegal would be illegal, but using or running a vpn/proxy service isn't illegal....it could well be against university computer/internet policy on the other hand.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 3:56 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
chances are he'd be setting up a VPN for you...and no, it's not illegal....doing something illegal would be illegal, but using or running a vpn/proxy service isn't illegal....it could well be against university computer/internet policy on the other hand.
Top banana, I am so facebooking him with this, he is a star, 22 when he started Uni, he doesn't want to screw it up, thanks. and we try and get Heros to him
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:27 pm
Another wandering Scot

Walkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really nice

While I don't encourage (VPNGates) anyone to watch BBC online programs (VPNGates) that should not be watching them, there is (VPNGates) a very good VPN service that allows me (VPNGates) to watch online or download for later watching without any (VPNGates) significant buffering or interruption. The connection stays up for days (VPNGates) if I forget to close it and the quality (VPNGates) is superb.

Of course, I don't want to promote a specific commercial service here.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:14 pm
Banned

TakeItEasy is on a distinguished road

I use the excellent service provided by http://www.pc-streaming.com/store/. All BBC and ITV channels, iplayer, ITV player, C4 & 5OD etc, etc.
Received an e-mail from them this morning. This weekend they are running a discount sale with up to 40% off British TV packages.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Filmon was working again last night
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:04 am
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Filmon was working again last night
Filmon sucks a$$ with this update thing they got going on.....
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by awilkins43
I was back in UK recently and discovered the BBC iplayer, its almost as good as TV or better consdering you can browse and watch what you want.

I've tried and doesn't work here in US (nor anywhere outside UK for that matter) - does anyone know how to get it working?

Any help much appreciated.

Arthur
Came across this link the other day. Not used it but looks the biz!

http://www.britishtvanywhere.com/
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Minty
Came across this link the other day. Not used it but looks the biz!

http://www.britishtvanywhere.com/
Problem with all these VPN and Proxy services is that they all have a specific IP space assigned to them via RIPE, which gives them a continous block of IP's, it is very easy for the BBC to null-route (blacklist) these IP's at their routers in one swoop, so be advised many of these services could disappear at any time, with little to no warning.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ldobson
Problem with all these VPN and Proxy services is that they all have a specific IP space assigned to them via RIPE, which gives them a continous block of IP's, it is very easy for the BBC to null-route (blacklist) these IP's at their routers in one swoop, so be advised many of these services could disappear at any time, with little to no warning.
I was concerned about this so I got in touch with my VPN supplier http://www.pc-streaming.com/store/ and posed the question.
Their reply was that any VPN supplier worth his salt would maintain multiple back up ranges in case of the above scenario, which they do.
They further explained that this is a costly exercise and you can easily make out the companies that don't do this by the price they charge. If they charge 5 bucks a month, then they don't maintain back up ranges and could be lost at any time.
I've got to admit, I've had mine for quite a while now with absolutely no problems but then again it does cost more than 5 bucks a month.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TakeItEasy
I use the excellent service provided by http://www.pc-streaming.com/store/. All BBC and ITV channels, iplayer, ITV player, C4 & 5OD etc, etc.
Received an e-mail from them this morning. This weekend they are running a discount sale with up to 40% off British TV packages.
Apparently they are running a discount sale weekend again with up to 40% off British TV Packages until Monday midnight UK time. Quite handy with the football season about to start.