Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC in Boulder, Colorado

BBC in Boulder, Colorado

Old Oct 19th 2004, 12:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC in Boulder, Colorado

I was watching the BBC international news early yesterday evening and there was a report from Boulder, CO.

I was looking out for 'Boiler' who posts here but they didn't interview any Brits!

It showed two families living on either side of one of the mountains and their differing views on whom they're going to be voting for...apparently one of the towns (Boulder?) is considered to be very 'liberal' in it's views and the other town to be very conservative. One family is Roman Catholic but the wife said won't be voting for Kerry as they don't like his views on abortion (cue to shot of the family at Church... ) and will vote for Bush as they feel 'safer' with him in charge.

I felt a bit sorry for the reporter though...he was driving a Pontiac Aztec (!) which must have been getting on a bit so presumably not a rental car - I guess it was his own?

I saw that post about BBC Question Time transmitting from Florida next week....God I miss that programme, also miss Jeremy Paxman on 'Newsnight' too. I do hope that they show the US edition of Question Time on BBC America....
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC in Boulder, Colorado

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I felt a bit sorry for the reporter though...he was driving a Pontiac Aztec (!) which must have been getting on a bit so presumably not a rental car - I guess it was his own?
They've only been making them like 4 years?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:14 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
God I miss that programme, also miss Jeremy Paxman on 'Newsnight' too. I do hope that they show the US edition of Question Time on BBC America....
I don't get it. WHY do people miss this guy? He was an obnoxious sarcastic twat. I bet you watch FOX?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

The BBC seem to turn up all over. I was at the Texas state fair in Dallas the other week, and there was a crew filming "Big Tex" - a huge animated/speaking cowboy figure, for the uninitiated. I'm guessing it was for the "and finally" section of the news, as Big Tex was saying hello to everyone in London, England, and providing the link to the weather forecast.

Odd.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: BBC in Boulder, Colorado

Shame. Missed it.

I live in the County rather than the City, but am down there 3 or 4 times a week.

Well I guess Boulder is the size of Oxford and there are quite a few Brits around, a University town. Well I have met half a dozen or so.

Using a UK analogy, Boulder I guess is akin to Oxbridge with a bit of Brighton thrown in, politics would be sort of USA New Labour, the local rag is nicknamed the Daily Camrade. Quite cosmopolitan and none of this Religous Right others have mentioned.

http://www.bouldernews.com/

But all these things are relative, Guardian would be considered extreme.

I sort of asumed initially that this was common to Colorado, wondered why Republicans were bothering runniing at all, but Boulder is the oddity.

Lots of Brew Pubs But also very fitness/health conscious, sometimes over so.

So I have still my 15 minutes of fame to look forward to