Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC America - USC viewers?

BBC America - USC viewers?

Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BBC America - USC viewers?

The Memsahib loves watching BBC America. The news is the only decent news you see in the US & as for Little Britian, she swears buy it.

But then again she is the onkly Memsahib in the village !
Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I keep hearing about Fools and Horses.

Anyone want to direct me to where I can see an episode?

I love to watch the PBS shows, but even the brilliance of Sir Humphreys is getting old with nothing new in sight.

They are playing PORRIDGE on there now, if you can believe it!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:50 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I have never met a native USC - or indeed any non-Brit - who actually watches BBC America..

Have you? Just wondering (because they always tell us that their 'viewers' - whoever they may be - like to watch House Invaders, Cash in the Atic, What Not To Wear and similar trash...)

Elvira

We use our local PBS channels for Brit shows...a lot better than seeing repeats all the time on BBCA........you can only sit through the same loop of the same TV shows a few times.....
Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:54 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Watched Prime Suspect on Sunday. It's the first one, and IMV also the best. Other than that, can't be bothered.

However, what really bugs me is that if you ask the bods at BBCA why they show all that trash in preference to 'real' BBC programmes, they invariably claim that their viewers prefer them. But I've never met any non-Brits who actually watch it - in fact I have yet to meet one who even knows that the bloody channel even exists!

So who the heck actually watches BBCA - apart from some desperate/homesick Brits...

Well, I guess this is probably the wrong forum to ask...
I was on the BBCA forum before being banned ......and its houswifes leaving the channel on to hear an English voice all day.......go figure......
They keep telling me at BBCA that everyone loves to watch the same show every week.......for 2 years or more......
Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:59 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Nigel
Just to be contrary ... we used to watch BBCA a lot compared to the other trash on the TV (which means we don't actually watch much tv at all). But my USC partner is addicted to Monday night mysteries - we both like watching those.
We only watch the mysteries.......I have watched the Avengers....but we have tons of Brit DVDs to watch....we then past them on to the Americans we know....along with films like the English Alfie....etc.....which they all think are tons better than the remakes.......the fav Brit show right now with our US friends is Bottom.........
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Is it my imagination or does BBCA have 'Cash in the Attick' on an almost 24 hour rotation??? Crikey, its terrible shite. Even my USC hubby says he used to watch BBCA and cant believe how bad it is now. I did manage to catch an episode of Little Britain a few weeks ago, which was akin to finding a diamond in horseshit....

MB
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:04 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Aaaahh I remember the days when BBCA used to be great..before this current Director took over.... Top of the pops, Eastenders, Match of the Day, Parkinson (in full), documentaries etc etc and you could only see ancient series, like Benny Hill, on PBS...now its mostly Bloody Boring Crap. Since it became included in a few cable/satellite packages they don't give a sh@t what they show- the cheaper the better, endlessly repeated, makes them more profit.
I know many Americans who have boycotted BBCA ever since they dropped Eastenders....and Bernath claims its only a small loyal group of expats who ever watched it Apparently Americans can't understand cockney.... that's the excuse given for not getting Only fools and Horses too...IOW the cheap sods won't pay for the expensive stuff.
Apart from the world news every night, Monday night is the only time I might tune in- Wire in the Blood was exellent and Second Sight/Murder in Mind weren't too bad either.
The rest of the time we watch "Between the Lines"...courtesy of UKNova...Brilliant!

We pass all Brit show ...Even fools and horses to US friends....and they understand it fine........allo allo we explained first.....that was OK.....Men Behaving Badly is an all time fav with all the guys at work.......
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
I keep hearing about Fools and Horses.

Anyone want to direct me to where I can see an episode?

I love to watch the PBS shows, but even the brilliance of Sir Humphreys is getting old with nothing new in sight.

They are playing PORRIDGE on there now, if you can believe it!
I have got Only Fools and Horses DVDs and Videos out from the Library, well worth a look for alsorts of Brit T.V.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I have got Only Fools and Horses DVDs and Videos out from the Library, well worth a look for alsorts of Brit T.V.
Ah but that's part of the problem. If Brits and Yanks with good taste BUY the DVDs from the Beeb, what's in it for them to show the same programming for free?

Instead just show crap that lazy people won't buy but who are kind enough to tune in and watch the adverts.

This is beginning to look like the music biz: radio is for those who are trapped in cars and offices; anyone with good taste has to use the equivalent of UK Nova to discover new stuff and then go buy CDs; and ClearChannel writes One True Playlist that consists of nothing but crap.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Saw a season of Men Behaving Badly before I left S.A....too blooming good

Unfortunately for me, our local library stocks every single copy of 'Upstairs/Downstairs' and Herriot known to man, and that's about it!

I'll put in a word for Only Fools and Horses then....
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Saw a season of Men Behaving Badly before I left S.A....too blooming good
Unfortunately for me, our local library stocks every single copy of 'Upstairs/Downstairs' and Herriot known to man, and that's about it!
I'll put in a word for Only Fools and Horses then....
My wife loves "On the Buses" can't find a US dvd for it .. I don't like to tell her most of the stars are long dead..
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:53 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Ray
My wife loves "On the Buses" can't find a US dvd for it .. I don't like to tell her most of the stars are long dead..

I'm also looking for Open All Hours on DVD ..we don't have a VCR.....
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:11 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
So are the jokes Ray
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HappyHammer

EXEC3: Might we introduce a new programming schedule of new imported shows. I suggest They Think It's All Over, Top Gear, and due to public demand reinstate EastEnders.
My husband saw Top Gear on the Discovery Channel last night. (Great, now we will be watching car shows!!! )