Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC America - USC viewers?

Wikiposts

BBC America - USC viewers?

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:22 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question BBC America - USC viewers?

I have never met a native USC - or indeed any non-Brit - who actually watches BBC America..

Have you? Just wondering (because they always tell us that their 'viewers' - whoever they may be - like to watch House Invaders, Cash in the Atic, What Not To Wear and similar trash...)

Elvira
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC America - USC viewers?

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I have never met a native USC - or indeed any non-Brit - who actually watches BBC America..

Have you? Just wondering (because they always tell us that their 'viewers' - whoever they may be - like to watch House Invaders, Cash in the Atic, What Not To Wear and similar trash...)

Elvira
I've got a couple of friends that watch BBC news but not on BBCA they watch it on their local channel.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The in-laws...but then it came with there satellite package...they use to watch graham norton on it, and the mystery monday shows like Waking the Dead, Second Sight and Changing Rooms when they were re-doing the house, didn't watch any of the other shows though...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:34 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

My wife the american watches 'cash in the attic' and 'Ramseys kitchen nightmares' but thats it
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

None of my US friends watch BBCAmerica.

After living here for 3 years I very rarely watch it anymore and if I do happen to tune in it's usually when Benny Hill is on and I absolutely hate that show.

The only programme worth watching recently on BBCA was Shameless.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved back to the US we came with very high naive expectations. That was dashed very fast. I never watch it now and wish they would just take the channel off the air. They show the worst shows. We have more luck with UK Nova.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jun 22nd 2005 at 2:55 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:51 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Elvira
I am so dissapointed in BBC America, been hoping for so long to see it evolve into something like BBC1, why even BBC4 and a half would be preferable!

That intermission with the guy who looks like George Michael bouncing on the space-hopper - but holding one of it's ears through his leg like a thingy was just a bit freaky. I'm amazed they got away with that!

Only good thing worth watching lately on it was The Young Ones. Seen them a million times of course. I just hate the way they give you old BBC morning shows all day long. Worst of all is What Not To Wear, I can't stand those two stuck up bitches. The poor cow they pick on usually looks frumpier than ever by the time they've finished with her, all done up like a dish of fish, learn to dress your age missus, it's more natural! I was so bored the other night I found myself watching Prime Suspect and I hated that with a vengeance! :scared:
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

They have a Fawlty Towers marathon this weekend, 12-6 on Saturday.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
When we first moved back to the UK we came with very high naive expectations. That was dashed very fast. I never watch it now and wish they would just take the channel off the air. They show the worst shows. We have more luck with UK Nova.

Watched Prime Suspect on Sunday. It's the first one, and IMV also the best. Other than that, can't be bothered.

However, what really bugs me is that if you ask the bods at BBCA why they show all that trash in preference to 'real' BBC programmes, they invariably claim that their viewers prefer them. But I've never met any non-Brits who actually watch it - in fact I have yet to meet one who even knows that the bloody channel even exists!

So who the heck actually watches BBCA - apart from some desperate/homesick Brits...

Well, I guess this is probably the wrong forum to ask...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:57 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

'What not to wear'.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Can't they make an episode we're they send both of them off to a war zone to dress some rebels and they mysteriously dissapear.....forever

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
I am so dissapointed in BBC America, been hoping for so long to see it evolve into something like BBC1, why even BBC4 and a half would be preferable!

That intermission with the guy who looks like George Michael bouncing on the space-hopper - but holding one of it's ears through his leg like a thingy was just a bit freaky. I'm amazed they got away with that!

Only good thing worth watching lately on it was The Young Ones. Seen them a million times of course. I just hate the way they give you old BBC morning shows all day long. Worst of all is What Not To Wear, I can't stand those two stuck up bitches. The poor cow they pick on usually looks frumpier than ever by the time they've finished with her, all done up like a dish of fish, learn to dress your age missus, it's more natural! I was so bored the other night I found myself watching Prime Suspect and I hated that with a vengeance! :scared:
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Watched Prime Suspect on Sunday. It's the first one, and IMV also the best. Other than that, can't be bothered.

However, what really bugs me is that if you ask the bods at BBCA why they show all that trash in preference to 'real' BBC programmes, they invariably claim that their viewers prefer them. But I've never met any non-Brits who actually watch it - in fact I have yet to meet one who even knows that the bloody channel even exists!

So who the heck actually watches BBCA - apart from some desperate/homesick Brits...

Well, I guess this is probably the wrong forum to ask...
Desperate people are probably right. You do know that BBCAmerica is owned by the Discovery channel, don't you? They've bought the rights to use the logo and some of the shows. I kind of see it as the BBC having a good laugh at whomever watches the channel.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
'What not to wear'.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Can't they make an episode we're they send both of them off to a war zone to dress some rebels and they mysteriously dissapear.....forever
The american version is even worse, as are most of the other US versions of UK 'homestyle' shows.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:14 am

Is it me or do they rip off all the british programmes?

One of my favoutites 'Scrapheap challenge' (I'm a sad muppet really) became 'Junkyard wars' it's just not the same without Robert Lewellyn

Originally Posted by mandpete
The american version is even worse, as are most of the other US versions of UK 'homestyle' shows.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:22 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never met a native USC - or indeed any non-Brit - who actually watches BBC America..Have you? Just wondering (because they always tell us that their 'viewers' - whoever they may be - like to watch House Invaders, Cash in the Atic, What Not To Wear and similar trash...)Elvira

We think it's awful, but occasionally keep it on for background noise. The only thing we actually sit and watch are Little Britain and The Office (UK version, of course), although we've seen all the episodes a kazillion times. (Still, they are both brilliant.) Other than that, BBC America is one big waste of time.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:28 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Sibsie seems to hate all things English (bone of contention) so I don't have it on when he's home. I had wanted to introduce him to Alan Partridge but he won't consider it. (oh I feel a moan, bitch, vent coming on!)

I do have one friend who used to watch Coupling on it, but other than that I've never heard of an American watching it. The forums on there are a hoot and worth a read to see what the Americans think of Brits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.