British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bay Area Qs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bay-area-qs-427623/)

happynz Feb 18th 2007 6:02 pm

Bay Area Qs

Kia Ora:

I am off to the US for the next three-and-a-half months for a job in the Bay Area. A couple of pointers please if anyone knows the answers -- cheapie mobile phones, which service is recommended for a temporary stay and secondly, and perhaps more difficult, is there a pub in the Silicon Valley area or someplace where I can watch the Cricket World Cup?

Muchas gracias.

bored-silly Feb 18th 2007 10:07 pm

Re: Bay Area Qs

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 4419197)
Kia Ora:

I am off to the US for the next three-and-a-half months for a job in the Bay Area. A couple of pointers please if anyone knows the answers -- cheapie mobile phones, which service is recommended for a temporary stay and secondly, and perhaps more difficult, is there a pub in the Silicon Valley area or someplace where I can watch the Cricket World Cup?

Muchas gracias.

You are probably best off getting a Cingular pay as you go.
Depending on where you are going to be, there are a few British Pubs around which show Rugby and Football, not so sure about cricket tho, my husband listens to it online.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 19th 2007 1:30 am

Originally Posted by bored-silly (Post 4419816)
You are probably best off getting a Cingular pay as you go.
Depending on where you are going to be, there are a few British Pubs around which show Rugby and Football, not so sure about cricket tho, my husband listens to it online.

You can get some cricket on Dish and probably Direct TV. Subscription.

Bay Area is quite large, where did you have in mind.

All the British pubs I have been to in the US have been crap, Must be one half decent one. Somewhere.

happynz Feb 19th 2007 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4420328)
You can get some cricket on Dish and probably Direct TV. Subscription.

Bay Area is quite large, where did you have in mind.

Santa Clara, Sunnyvale -- around there.

All the British pubs I have been to in the US have been crap, Must be one half decent one. Somewhere.

Anything will do. I just want to see Aussie get beat!:p

Bob Feb 19th 2007 5:16 pm

There's a superb one in maine, doesn't help you much though :D

As for cricket, you won't find that at any pub....As for phones, cingular, T-mobile, virgin, tracfone...depends on where abouts exactly you are.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 19th 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 4420390)
Santa Clara, Sunnyvale -- around there.

Anything will do. I just want to see Aussie get beat!:p

You might want to check out the Indian local community, the English guys I know here are into Football and Rugby, but I know quite a few Indians into cricket who watch it on Satellite.

Never heard of a Bar showing Cricket, would be very odd to find one. Part of the issue is that it wiull be a seperate subscription, pretty sure it does not come over on any of the packages.