British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Battle of the mix tapes - Brits represent! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/battle-mix-tapes-brits-represent-283460/)

Expat_Wannabe Feb 10th 2005 10:47 pm

Battle of the mix tapes - Brits represent!

My office is running a competition called the Battle of the Mix Tapes. Essentially see who puts together the best compilation CD and I'm looking for inspiration for a British based CD. The rules are:

a) The maximum is as many tracks as can fit on the CD, but realize that the judges have their limits. 70 minutes can fit on a disk, but you may want to subscribe to “less is more�

b) The minimum is 6 tracks.

c) No artist can be on the CD twice. (We are pretty forgiving here, but use your best judgment. Nirvana and Foo Fighters are different bands. Paul Westerberg is different than the Replacements. But Elvis Costello and the Attractions is essentially the same as Elvis Costello “solo�)

Each judge will rate you on five 1-5 scales. So each judge will rate you from 5-25. Add those 4 scores up, and you will get a total score from 20-100.

The 5 areas to be judged – scored 1-5.
a) Song Choice Originality
b) Song Choice Quality
c) Disc Flow (from one song to the next)
d) Disc Replay Value
e) X factor (basically extra points awarded at the judges discretion)

Feel free to shoot any ideas my way!!! I'm thinking British greats past, present and future, but could be persuaded to go in any direction right now :)

Bob Feb 10th 2005 11:12 pm

Re: Battle of the mix tapes - Brits represent!

Lost Souls Forever -Kasabian

El Salvador -Athlete

Awfully Deep -Roots Manuva

Balances Chaos -Roni Size

Popcorn -Hot Butter

Clint Eastwood -Gorillaz

Take Me Out- Franz Ferdinand

Salvea Mea -Faithless

I believe in a thing called love -Darkness (just for the cheese )

Do your Thing -Basement Jaxx

And that'll rap up my contribution to the list :)

Expat_Wannabe Feb 10th 2005 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

El Salvador -Athlete

Popcorn -Hot Butter

Clint Eastwood -Gorillaz

Salvea Mea -Faithless

Fab List!!! Now I've just gotta find them all! iTunes here I come!

Expat_Wannabe Feb 10th 2005 11:39 pm

Are Massive Attack English?

elfman Feb 10th 2005 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Expat_Wannabe

Yes

From Bristol, actually.

Sarah Feb 10th 2005 11:43 pm

You might wanna check out the Colin and Edith Radio 1 show that is on weekdays. They are currently doing a celebration of the best of British music of the past 25 years and are playing some great tracks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/djs/coli...h_music1.shtml

You can listen to the shows again using real player or windows media player or something like that. They are definitely worth a listen, even though they do last for 3 hours, I put it on when I'm making dinner or doing the laundry or some other equally exciting activity around the house.
Let us know the final track listing.
Rock on!

neil Feb 10th 2005 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

El Salvador -Athlete

Popcorn -Hot Butter

Clint Eastwood -Gorillaz

Salvea Mea -Faithless

Anyone who suggests putting Darkness on a compilation needs shooting, even if they claim it is just for the cheese.

I'd suggest going for the indie classics (I'm always surprised by how many of these made it to some extent in the US), probably:
Primal Scream - Loaded
The Wonderstuff - The Size of a Cow
James - Sit Down
The Charlatans - Weirdo
Radiohead - Creep
Pulp - Disco 2000
Blur - Girls and Boys (probably, but others would work)
Stone Roses - Fools Gold (again other tracks would work)

As for the order of play, maybe start with Radiohead, then onto Stone Roses, then Charlatans, Wonderstuff, James, Primal Scream, Blur, Pulp and then to round it all off perfectly Dee-lite - Groove is in the heart.

Sarah Feb 10th 2005 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by neil
Anyone who suggests putting Darkness on a compilation needs shooting, even if they claim it is just for the cheese.
then Charlatans, Wonderstuff, James, Primal Scream, Blur, Pulp and then to round it all off perfectly Dee-lite - Groove is in the heart.

Now now, no need to get snobby about the Darkness especially from someone who suggests The Wonder Stuff! By the way Deee-lite are American. The OP's going for all British.

Bob Feb 11th 2005 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Expat_Wannabe

latest album weren't that great, but anything from blue lines gets my vote :)

neil Feb 11th 2005 12:22 am

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Now now, no need to get snobby about the Darkness especially from someone who suggests The Wonder Stuff! By the way Deee-lite are American. The OP's going for all British.

The Wonderstuff are by no means my favourite (I do not own any of their albums) but they are still at least 10 times better than the Darkness. I threw in the Deee-Lite one as a crowd pleaser more than anything - a bonus track if you like that will make everyone remember it and hopefully boost the points. It also goes surprisingly well with Indie music. When I was a student in Bristol there was a classic Indie club that rounded off the night with that song - Genius!

Bob Feb 11th 2005 12:23 am

Anyone who suggests putting Darkness on a compilation needs shooting, even if they claim it is just for the cheese..

well that is a fun tune, and he did want a good mix with somin' different.As for radio head...bit of a depressing tune that one to have ain't it...

neil Feb 11th 2005 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Bob
latest album weren't that great, but anything from blue lines gets my vote :)

Good choice - you could then throw in some similar stuff like Tricky, Basement Jaxx, Portishead, Everything but the Girl.....

neil Feb 11th 2005 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Bob
well that is a fun tune, and he did want a good mix with somin' different.As for radio head...bit of a depressing tune that one to have ain't it...

Maybe you're confusing the song Creep with their later "head up their own backsides" music which is a bit depressing and pointless.

Bob Feb 11th 2005 12:29 am

The Wonderstuff are by no means my favourite (I do not own any of their albums) but they are still at least 10 times better than the Darkness. I threw in the Deee-Lite one as a crowd pleaser more than anything - a bonus track if you like that will make everyone remember it and hopefully boost the points. It also goes surprisingly well with Indie music. When I was a student in Bristol there was a classic Indie club that rounded off the night with that song - Genius!

well I don't care, either way, but my list had original tunes as well as some classics that are a good mix of style, something different at least, don't want to get bogged down with one style, if judges don't like the one style, then it could all be a bit of a bugger.
And there's good replay value too.

Surprised your list didn't have any oasis or anything like echobelly, lush etc.

Bob Feb 11th 2005 12:30 am

Good choice - you could then throw in some similar stuff like Tricky, Basement Jaxx, Portishead, Everything but the Girl.....

basement jaxx, already did :)