Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Batteries... just so ya know

Batteries... just so ya know

Old May 22nd 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Batteries... just so ya know

We had a memo out at work recently about these type of batteries. Mainly regarding peoples wheelchairs that use them, no mention of anything else.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:53 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TimFountain
As other have said, LI-ON batteries are a real threat:-
http://gigaom.com/cleantech/lithium-...for-jet-crash/
http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/fulltext/HZB0501.htm

I was involved with the contractor who developed the FEDEX fire suppression system:-
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/s...5/daily16.html
Be aware that as well as Li-ion batteries which you can normally recharge there are lithium batteries which are not re-chargeable.

The non re-chargeable lithium batteries are expensive and normally used as they have a lot of power for thier size and give and almost constant voltage till they are depleted. If you look at a graph of voltage against time, at the end of life it is like a cliff while normal batteries are like a sloping hillside.

In fact I do not think I have seen non-rechargeable batteries on sale to the public, I only had access to them through my work on oil wells. Though they were great for powering my radio etc in the desert or offshore.

Last edited by AZ_Alba; May 22nd 2012 at 7:55 pm.
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Fedex and UPS have their own aircraft and accept dangerous goods and that is why they can accept items such as this.

The USPS ships the mail in a variety of ways such as passenger aircraft, fedex, by ground.

Domestically they have option such as ground, so can accept items such as these batteries as they can ship them by ground.

Many passenger airlines do not accept dangerous goods or only accept low risk dangerous goods, and since ground is generally not an option for international they have no other choice but to place a blanket ban on items such as this for destinations outside the US.