Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bat Mitzvahs

Bat Mitzvahs

Old May 23rd 2011, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bat Mitzvahs

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh yeah.

Some of the do's were truly amazing.
Unfortunately so, it has become more about the party than the ceremony to the point now that non-jewish teens are demanding "coming of age" parties to match. If you can, watch the movie "Keeping up with the Steins" it sums it up very well.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
1 euro per about 90 sets of parents.
But that's for a few teachers?
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Unfortunately so, it has become more about the party than the ceremony to the point now that non-jewish teens are demanding "coming of age" parties to match. If you can, watch the movie "Keeping up with the Steins" it sums it up very well.
I'm still reeling from the cost of my son graduating from high school.

I'll look out for that movie.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

G.n.Tgirl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yes, I heard some compare to wedding receptions!!

I will look out for that movie
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:52 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
But that's for a few teachers?
Yep - there were 5 or 6 teachers at the dinner. Not more than that. Just the fith year class teachers. Actually one of them was the vice headmistress and not actually a teacher at all - more a coordinator.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G.n.Tgirl
Yes, I heard some compare to wedding receptions!!

I will look out for that movie
To put it into context.

When I had mine in the 80s, in the UK the typical thing was to have people round to your house afterwards for a buffet lunch probably catered if you had quite a few people coming.

When I went to my cousins' parties in the 90s you hired a venue such as the temple hall or whatnot and many more people were invited.

I haven't been to one recently but you can see the progression.
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Bat Mitzvahs

Ha ha ha!

I live in the next town to the O/P (New York metro area....large Jewish population) and my son went to loads of Bar Mitzvahs and Bat Mitzvahs. The invites are just like posh wedding invitations (complete with a stamped self addressed envelope to confirm whether or not your offspring is going to attend or not).

My son received quite a number of invitations from girls he'd never even heard of! I think the mothers sometimes just get hold of the school directory and invite all the kids in the year group.

Oh....and he went to one Bar Mitzvah and said that the boy's uncle gave him a gift of a cheque for $50,000...

My son is still with his High School sweetheart. She was adopted from Mexico as a newborn. Her mother is Jewish and of course Judaism goes down the female line. She decided to convert at the age of 18 and had her Bat Mitzvah; we were invited to it and I'd never been to a Jewish ceremony before....it was actually quite moving, all the women (including me) were in tears!
Old May 24th 2011, 12:27 am
Just Joined

G.n.Tgirl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha ha!

I live in the next town to the O/P (New York metro area....large Jewish population) and my son went to loads of Bar Mitzvahs and Bat Mitzvahs. The invites are just like posh wedding invitations (complete with a stamped self addressed envelope to confirm whether or not your offspring is going to attend or not).

My son received quite a number of invitations from girls he'd never even heard of! I think the mothers sometimes just get hold of the school directory and invite all the kids in the year group.

Oh....and he went to one Bar Mitzvah and said that the boy's uncle gave him a gift of a cheque for $50,000...

My son is still with his High School sweetheart. She was adopted from Mexico as a newborn. Her mother is Jewish and of course Judaism goes down the female line. She decided to convert at the age of 18 and had her Bat Mitzvah; we were invited to it and I'd never been to a Jewish ceremony before....it was actually quite moving, all the women (including me) were in tears!
Yep, complete with ribbon and raised print, one even had the girls name on the stamp!!

The girls are friends but by no means besties, think I'll stick to my $36 it's probably what I would spend if it were their birthday
Old May 24th 2011, 1:18 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha!

That's exactly what happens , I work in the office a middle school and get tones of requests for the grade directory for that very reason
Old May 24th 2011, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

You could buy a little gift.. A nice bracelet or necklace...
Old May 24th 2011, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

It sounds like I dodged a rather expensive bullet with my step-daughter.

That said my son is only 6 so I better get saving up now!!! There was me thinking college was going to be expensive!!
Old May 24th 2011, 2:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Bat Mitzvahs

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
You could buy a little gift.. A nice bracelet or necklace...
Hmmmm - around here only something like that from Tiffany's would do...
Old May 24th 2011, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmmm - around here only something like that from Tiffany's would do...
Ahh, now I see how Newt Gingrich ended up with a $500k tab with Tiffany's. He must have been invited to a lot of Bat Mitzvahs!
Old May 24th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The multiple of "chai" is just fine. The kids are only 13 or 14 and are not expected to fork over tons of money. Actually, I think a book would be a fine present. I would have your child pick out a book they would like to receive.

About a year back, a lawyer who was a rabbi passed away. A friend inquired of me if flowers would be appropriate. I said a charitable contribution in his name would be very appropriate. She donated $360.00 to Bet Tzedek. I also think this would be appropriate for a bar/bat mitzvah. [note -- I'm not talking amount but method].

Last edited by S Folinsky; May 24th 2011 at 5:58 pm.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I work in the office a middle school and get tones of requests for the grade directory for that very reason
So you are allowed to give out the addresses or just the names? Do the kids have pigeon holes at school or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.