The Basics

Old Aug 26th 2002, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

roman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Basics

Hi folks
Glad you are here. Probably I should know this but... I've just got married to a lovely American girl. I came in to the States this last time on a 90-day visa waiver. Since we hitched I've gone past the 90-days. I've haven't done anything yet. Where do I start? The I-864? A lawyer? A helpful website? Will I be able to leave the U.S. by Xmas?
thanks everso, R
Old Aug 26th 2002, 4:47 pm
Matta Harri

Default Re: The Basics

In article <[email protected]>, roman
<[email protected]> wrote:
    > Glad you are here. Probably I should know this but... I've just got married to a
    > lovely American girl. I came in to the States this last time on a 90-day visa
    > waiver. Since we hitched I've gone past the 90-days. I've haven't done anything
    > yet. Where do I start? The I-864? A lawyer? A helpful website? Will I be able to
    > leave the U.S. by Xmas?

http://k1.exit.com (tourist adjustmnent link)

matta

Old Aug 26th 2002, 5:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Basics

Originally posted by roman:
Hi folks
Glad you are here. Probably I should know this but... I've just got married to a lovely American girl. I came in to the States this last time on a 90-day visa waiver. Since we hitched I've gone past the 90-days. I've haven't done anything yet. Where do I start? The I-864? A lawyer? A helpful website? Will I be able to leave the U.S. by Xmas?
thanks everso, R
As for leaving you can leave anytime you want. Will you be allowed back into the US to resume you life with your new spouse? Doubtful. You have to apply for advance parole when you apply for your adjustment of status. The A/P allows you to re-enter the US without having INS consider your AOS abandoned.

You are currently in overstay mode and unless you file for adjustment of status before you are out of status 180 days, you should never leave the US until you have had a successful AOS interview and gotten your green stamp in your your passport. The 180 day mark makes you inadmissible to the US with a waiver. You will have to remain outside of the US while it is pending.

Rete