Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Basic deductions

Basic deductions

Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold
Default Basic deductions

Hi All

Just wondering what are the basic wage reductions in the US, we pay Tax at 40% and national insurance and thats about it lets pick a nice round figure say $5000 per month what would the reductions be physicall out is tax taken at source etc

Funny i am moving over but never thought about this before

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic deductions

The only givens are 6.2% for social security and 1.45% for medicare. The rest is going to depend on where you live (state and city tax) where you work (city tax) what you claim on your w-4 for federal tax, how much you opt to deduct for a 401k if available, how much medical benefits are (medical, dental, vision, prescription), how much voluntary life insurance might be, how much short term and long term disability might be, how much you put aside for an HSA or flex account plus others, I have parking deducted from mine for instance. Then that will all play into how much you owe or are owed at the end of the tax year when you figure out all your write-offs and how much tax you've paid for state, city and federal.

Welcome to the world of US paychecks and the tax system.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
Hi All

Just wondering what are the basic wage reductions in the US, we pay Tax at 40% and national insurance and thats about it lets pick a nice round figure say $5000 per month what would the reductions be physicall out is tax taken at source etc

Funny i am moving over but never thought about this before

Steve
Don't forget, over here you also have to include what you pay for health insurance, co-pays and prescriptions.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The only givens are 6.2% for social security and 1.45% for medicare. The rest is going to depend on where you live (state and city tax) where you work (city tax) what you claim on your w-4 for federal tax, how much you opt to deduct for a 401k if available, how much medical benefits are (medical, dental, vision, prescription), how much voluntary life insurance might be, how much short term and long term disability might be, how much you put aside for an HSA or flex account plus others, I have parking deducted from mine for instance. Then that will all play into how much you owe or are owed at the end of the tax year when you figure out all your write-offs and how much tax you've paid for state, city and federal.

Welcome to the world of US paychecks and the tax system.

Why is nothing ever straight forward

Thanks for the info

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:21 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
Why is nothing ever straight forward

Thanks for the info

Steve
Something like this might help, once you know all your allowances and deductions: http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpayca...calculator.asp
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:33 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the main thing that threw me when we came across is the US system is NOT PAYE like the UK. You have to guestimate the amount of tax you think you will need to pay and get your employer to withhold that amount from your salary each month. Then the tax is worked out properly by you/your accountant in January and you either pay the balance or get a refund.
Most people here seem to over estimate deliberatly and then recieve a tax refund once the bill is sorted preferring that to underpaying - as i dont think the IRS are very patient and want paying any deficit asap. You see adverts in the spring specifically talking about come spend your tax refund - its that common.

Other thing that phazed me out somewhat is that we had to do 4 tax returns last year. Federal, Ohio (state), city of husbands employment, city of actual living. THIS year we will have to do SIX!!! as we will have been living in three different cities in Ohio during the year ( we moved in Feb, and move again in November). Clearly you are only paying tax to one or the other at a time but its still a big PITA to do all the different returns.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

This gives a rough estimate in either pounds or dollars.
http://us.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Other thing that phazed me out somewhat is that we had to do 4 tax returns last year. Federal, Ohio (state), city of husbands employment, city of actual living. THIS year we will have to do SIX!!! as we will have been living in three different cities in Ohio during the year ( we moved in Feb, and move again in November). Clearly you are only paying tax to one or the other at a time but its still a big PITA to do all the different returns.
Add in the fact that you may be better of filing as single rather than married for state and/or federal and you can really stack up the returns.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Add in the fact that you may be better of filing as single rather than married for state and/or federal and you can really stack up the returns.
Err... I think you mean "married filing separately" vs "married filing jointly". Married people can't file as "single".
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Err... I think you mean "married filing separately" vs "married filing jointly". Married people can't file as "single".
Same thing, more words!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:47 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we did one of those seperate return thingies as the accountants seemed to think it was best. So therefore I didnt file anything at all as I have no income here. Is that the right thing to do or should you file a 'null' return?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

No income equals no return, generally speaking. I suppose there could be instances where one needs proof they filed, even if they didn't work (but I don't know what those could be).

I tell you, if there's one think I don't miss about Ohio, it's the city/local taxes. That was an eye opener for me, when we moved from KY to OH. It almost seemed that every section/area of Cincinnati was incorporated so they could take your money for hte privilege of living there. Versus here, almost no areas of Louisville are incorporated, so you only wind up paying city tax and no local tax.

Of course in the small city we live in now, we pay no income taxes. The city gets their funds from property taxes. Thank God for that.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
the main thing that threw me when we came across is the US system is NOT PAYE like the UK. You have to guestimate the amount of tax you think you will need to pay and get your employer to withhold that amount from your salary each month.
PAYE is a guesstimate too. The difference is in who does the guessing and the fact that for people with straightforward tax situations, the UK tax code makes such estimates likely to be much more accurate.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing, more words!
Definitely not the same thing.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
Definitely not the same thing.
Yeah it is, one goes off the married tax table, the other goes off the single tax table. Yes it's named differently and is technically a different code, but the table is the same for both and you would work out your tax the same!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.