Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:01 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Originally Posted by McLeans
I found dakota 44s post quite moving. I dont think that unless you remember, have witnessed or have been affected by racism you will find it hard to grasp the result of it.

Living in the UK we sat up and watched the elections, and from people I spoke to here, most are of the impression that he is a calming influence over a troubled country and definately see that his African routes are a massive step forward for America. Please correct if I am wrong, I dont want to offend anyone but whilst watching the results did Mccain not take the majority of seats in the south except Florida?? Surely these are states that would equally have backed up this move forward for America in electing a black president? Also I think people have to be very careful of how much input and control the media has.

It was reported that this election has seen the largest number of Afro American voters ever? If this is correct I cant help but ask where were they all when you needed rid of Bush 4 yrs ago? Or even when he was elected? I can totally see the significance of what Obama stands for to the Afro American communities and I think its wonderful but I just have a thought of if you have the right to vote in your country use it at all times, not only when it appears right. That is maybe not the right way of putting it? People have fought long and hard for the rights of different communities, for different reasons across the world. I feel we should honour those every chance you get, be it a womans right to vote or a mixed race couple getting married, whatever it maybe, otherwise whats the significance of civil rights? Best wishes to all

Good points McLeans !!!
Try and spot a few grammatical differences I made to your original post, thats the technical author and proof reader coming out in me, no doubt I have still made a few errors myself.
However I agree fully with you on your points

Last edited by pgtips; Nov 6th 2008 at 12:05 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Theoretically we are meant to vote for policies, in Practice we (well a lot of people) vote for personalities. I had my first vote in the USA this year, and decided on Democrats, simply because I think that no Party should be in for a long time, that way they don't do too much damage. I voted Conservative in the UK, but even I realised one party in for 17 years was too much! All Governments Tax you (never popular, but necessary) so they'll always annoy some people, depending on where you want your taxes going. Hopefully the Economy won't stop the D's from doing what they want, and we can get on with getting the Economy back on track! Oh, just one other thing, why is it Iv'e noticed that Republicans are always trying to force their point of view down your throat, and I don't hear a peep from Democrats? Maybe because Liberals are more laid back?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
why is it Iv'e noticed that Republicans are always trying to force their point of view down your throat, and I don't hear a peep from Democrats? Maybe because Liberals are more laid back?
Haha, I could give an in depth answer on that; but it'd descend rapidly into a huge slagging of all things republican

Short answer - I actually think you've hit the nail on the head with the laid back idea - it just simply appears that the right attracts more intolerant and opinionated people - who, if they can't win an argument factually, will resort to other unproven ideas to shove their point across. kinda reminds me of the religion vs science concept.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dan725
Haha, I could give an in depth answer on that; but it'd descend rapidly into a huge slagging of all things republican

Short answer - I actually think you've hit the nail on the head with the laid back idea - it just simply appears that the right attracts more intolerant and opinionated people - who, if they can't win an argument factually, will resort to other unproven ideas to shove their point across. kinda reminds me of the religion vs science concept.
I have only ever missed my chance to vote a couple of times, and have always thought it as a duty. You can't complain if you don't vote? But I have always believed in people having a choice to vote on whatever they see fit. If you turn into a Sheep and vote for whatever your friends or family vote for, that really defeats the object! Although in this day and age, Politicians know that a large number of the electorate vote for the person that puts on the best show, thats why theres so much razzmatazz involved in the run up.
Also I thought that John Mcain was very generous in defeat, or was he thinking "Bugger me, that was lucky not having to take over the economy right now"
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
Iv'e noticed that Republicans are always trying to force their point of view down your throat, and I don't hear a peep from Democrats? Maybe because Liberals are more laid back?

That is funny since I see it just the opposite and found that supported by the democrats on this forum.

Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That is funny since I see it just the opposite and found that supported by the democrats on this forum.

You beat me to it - I was going to say just that.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
You beat me to it - I was going to say just that.
Haha, very good points Then again, I think this forum is not your normal cross section of US society....
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Haha, very good points Then again, I think this forum is not your normal cross section of US society....
Maybe it's because most of us are Brits.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think democrats are more about "Live and Let Live" eg let gay couples marry if they want to, Republicans appear to wish to force everyone to conform to traditional marriage, no abortion etc.

Did anyone see Gore Vidal on BBC Election Night? "Republicans love WAR and they love MONEY"
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:55 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think democrats are more about "Live and Let Live" eg let gay couples marry if they want to, Republicans appear to wish to force everyone to conform to traditional marriage, no abortion etc.
I think both groups see it as their duty to legislate their moral views on the rest of the population. The problem is that their views don't match up or are even contradictory. Both sides feel a obligation to fight for what they see as moral truths. I think all of us would do what we could to correct injustice, but the definition of injustice differs depending on the moral code and values of the individual.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did anyone see Gore Vidal on BBC Election Night? "Republicans love WAR and they love MONEY"
Well there you have it. And from a completely non partisan source.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Nov 6th 2008 at 6:00 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Maybe it's because most of us are Brits.
Exactly!!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I can see where you're coming from. I'm also mixed race (born to a quarter-cast mother and black father). I did my level best to judge him purely on his political ethics, which I believe I have done. Even if he were 'pure white' versus a 'black McCain', I would have still gone for 'white Obama'. See where I'm coming from?

Colour had nothing to do with me going for Obama.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I think if you look at the history of US presidents, Obama could have been almost anyone and been elected.

Almost never has one party, democratic or republican, held the office of president for more than two terms.

Basically they just take turns. People get disgusted with whoever/the party in office, and the next party takes over. 8 years later, usually, the cycle repeats.

So now it's the democrats turn. 4 to 8 years from now, the republicans will almost certainly be back.

Yes, someone can go find an exception - it has occurred. But very very rarely.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:49 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Actually, I think if you look at the history of US presidents, Obama could have been almost anyone and been elected.

Almost never has one party, democratic or republican, held the office of president for more than two terms.

Basically they just take turns. People get disgusted with whoever/the party in office, and the next party takes over. 8 years later, usually, the cycle repeats.

So now it's the democrats turn. 4 to 8 years from now, the republicans will almost certainly be back.

Yes, someone can go find an exception - it has occurred. But very very rarely.
sour grapes

and actually, there have been five periods in US history since 1853 (roughly when the Dem-Rep monopoly started) in which one party held office for more than two terms

Republicans 1869 - 1885
Republicans 1897 - 1913
Republicans 1921 - 1933
Democrats 1933 - 1953
Republicans 1980 - 1992

Last edited by elfman; Nov 7th 2008 at 11:58 am.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elfman
sour grapes

and actually, there have been five periods in US history since 1853 (roughly when the Dem-Rep monopoly started) in which one party held office for more than two terms

Republicans 1869 - 1885
Republicans 1897 - 1913
Republicans 1921 - 1933
Democrats 1933 - 1953
Republicans 1980 - 1992
LOL see, someone can find some expceptions.

There are more 3 terms than I saw the first time.

But in general, there is a continued pattern of alternating, and I expect they still will.

I practically didn't care who was elected this time, they were all idiots imo. Although I would have preferred McCain, it sure was the lesser of the evils.

Not referring specifically to this election - but I am realizing just how much I disapprove of the electoral college. In this case, Obama would have won either way - I think he got 52% of the popular vote, but WAY more than that of the electoral college. But the more I think about it, I think the electoral college is utter bs - should be just one citizen, one vote, imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.