Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:32 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I've had just about enough of this nonsense.

The fact that you even have to explain that says a lot about some Americans. Some people deny that racism has always been (and to some extent still is) an issue in America. Some people believe that dinosaurs lived at the same time that humans did. Some people deny the Holocaust. A plant can deny photosynthesis - that doesn't mean it isn't affected by it every single day.

I'm 42 years old and witnessed forced integration via school busing first hand in Texas. It wasn't pretty and I'll never forget how scary it was for everybody. At that time is seemed that we would never reconcile the racial divide. That was only 30 years ago and what I saw was nothing compared to what my parents generation witnessed in the 1950's and 60's - and the years before that were unspeakably dark and horrible times and as a country we still bear the scars today. I understand Brits not being as psychologically connected to racism in America - you didn't experience it so how could you know? On the other hand, I am saddened and disappointed when I come across Americans that still just don't get it.

The reason that there is so much reason for celebration today is because this country has come to the point where maybe finally race really is no longer an issue for the majority of us. The election of Barack Obama is symbolic to those of us that care about finally putting the race issue to bed. If Hillary had won we'd be celebrating the fact that (hopefully) sex would no longer be an issue.... and as a woman I would be very proud of her - just as many black people must be feeling about Obama. Why deny them this moment? Why not join them? I'm proud of this country today and I'm proud that the world is watching and the world is just a little bit impressed with us too.

Furthermore, I'm excited that we can finally put phrases like "playing the race card" to rest. After today we can honestly say there is no longer a need for such a thing or even the accusation of the use of such a thing. For those who don't understand the meaning of the phrase - it is the insinuation that a minority is using the disadvantage of his own race to obfuscate something negative about himself. Since Obama has already won the election there really is nothing for him (or his supporters) to obfuscate because it is resounding clear that he WON the election. Why would Obama supporters even need to "play the race card" (so to speak) at this point in the game? The time to play the race card would have been BEFORE the election. How on earth can celebrating this historical event be construed as "playing the race card"? It boggles the mind. Perhaps the ones using the phrase don't even know what it means? I don't know the answer to that question. Besides, Obama did not get elected because of his race. He was elected in spite his race - and that is exactly the opposite of "playing the race card". The Obama campaign practically did backflips to avoid bring race into their campaign - yet they still get accused. Totally unbelievable.

The historical significance of having the first black president is a singular and exciting event. The fact that we have a new president and he has the weight of the world on his shoulders (thanks to 8 years of Republican mayhem) is a distinctly separate and completely unrelated situation. The former is an exciting and uplifting event - and no amount of sour grapes by the losers will ever change that. The latter is an still an unanswered question - as is the election of any new president.

Right on sister, you definately got your groove on here !!!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:32 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We're doomed. I'm going to laugh as it all collapses.

Fools. Fools.
Gizza kiss, you gorgeous sex God.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I've had just about enough of this nonsense.

The fact that you even have to explain that says a lot about some Americans. Some people deny that racism has always been (and to some extent still is) an issue in America. Some people believe that dinosaurs lived at the same time that humans did. Some people deny the Holocaust. A plant can deny photosynthesis - that doesn't mean it isn't affected by it every single day.

I'm 42 years old and witnessed forced integration via school busing first hand in Texas. It wasn't pretty and I'll never forget how scary it was for everybody. At that time is seemed that we would never reconcile the racial divide. That was only 30 years ago and what I saw was nothing compared to what my parents generation witnessed in the 1950's and 60's - and the years before that were unspeakably dark and horrible times and as a country we still bear the scars today. I understand Brits not being as psychologically connected to racism in America - you didn't experience it so how could you know? On the other hand, I am saddened and disappointed when I come across Americans that still just don't get it.

The reason that there is so much reason for celebration today is because this country has come to the point where maybe finally race really is no longer an issue for the majority of us. The election of Barack Obama is symbolic to those of us that care about finally putting the race issue to bed. If Hillary had won we'd be celebrating the fact that (hopefully) sex would no longer be an issue.... and as a woman I would be very proud of her - just as many black people must be feeling about Obama. Why deny them this moment? Why not join them? I'm proud of this country today and I'm proud that the world is watching and the world is just a little bit impressed with us too.

Furthermore, I'm excited that we can finally put phrases like "playing the race card" to rest. After today we can honestly say there is no longer a need for such a thing or even the accusation of the use of such a thing. For those who don't understand the meaning of the phrase - it is the insinuation that a minority is using the disadvantage of his own race to obfuscate something negative about himself. Since Obama has already won the election there really is nothing for him (or his supporters) to obfuscate because it is resounding clear that he WON the election. Why would Obama supporters even need to "play the race card" (so to speak) at this point in the game? The time to play the race card would have been BEFORE the election. How on earth can celebrating this historical event be construed as "playing the race card"? It boggles the mind. Perhaps the ones using the phrase don't even know what it means? I don't know the answer to that question. Besides, Obama did not get elected because of his race. He was elected in spite his race - and that is exactly the opposite of "playing the race card". The Obama campaign practically did backflips to avoid bring race into their campaign - yet they still get accused. Totally unbelievable.

The historical significance of having the first black president is a singular and exciting event. The fact that we have a new president and he has the weight of the world on his shoulders (thanks to 8 years of Republican mayhem) is a distinctly separate and completely unrelated situation. The former is an exciting and uplifting event - and no amount of sour grapes by the losers will ever change that. The latter is an still an unanswered question - as is the election of any new president.

Amen to that, sister.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:34 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
I hear you, however the last thing on the mind of Afro Americans will be revenge for the past. They will be just hoping Mr Obama can live up to expectations and be a great president to all.
How could you possibly know that? I'm not saying it is or isn't true, I just wonder how you know.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:35 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
When a white man with a beard, brown hair and eyes and a slowly receding hairline and a stocky build with a little bit of a gut starting, that prefers Coke over Pepsi but SunDrop over all other soft drinks and likes his steak medium rare with nothing but a little garlic salt and coarse ground black pepper, a man who's favorite color is forest green and likes the outdoors but isn't into team sports that much can become POTUS, that's when I will be happy.
You would not be referring to yourself by any chance ?
If you were willing to give a fair chance to all you could count on my vote
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Amen to that, sister.
You can cut that out, I'm pretty sure he's not reading this.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Leslie
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:36 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

After spending the whole night watching the amazing US election, I was just wandering what the great Dr Martin Luther king jnr would make of the great achievement of Barrack Obama to be elected the first black president of the USA. Has his dream of fainess and equality for all been finally realised ?
It certainly brought a tear to my eyes. Are you elated or deflated ?

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!
Aint arsed to be honest.lets look and see if he is any good in a couple of years time..and Martin Luther king cheated on his wife for years.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:38 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by earlswoody
Aint arsed to be honest...and Martin Luther king cheated on his wife for years.
So what's your point? Isn't it bedtime in OZ anyway? And besides, all great men cheat on their wives. Kennedy, Clinton, King... it's almost a requirement.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Aint arsed to be honest.lets look and see if he is any good in a couple of years time..and Martin Luther king cheated on his wife for years.
All men cheat.

Therefore MLK is a man.

Or was that your point?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Right on sister, you definately got your groove on here !!!
Are you all doing this on purpose?:curse:
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:43 pm

How could you possibly know that? I'm not saying it is or isn't true, I just wonder how you know.
I know through speaking to Afro Americans. The majority just do not want to let the country down. They have waited a long time for this and they certainly do not want Barrack to fall flat on his face. They mainly want Barrack to be accepted for who he is within, not his outward appearance. They think like this because they hope their children will no longer have to experience any discrimination and just be judged by the content of their characters. Above all they just want unity and to be accepted as Americans and not referred to as Afro Americans, the majority have have absolutely nothing to do with Africa now.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:45 pm

Did you see Martin Luther King cheating on his wife ? Were you his mistress ?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

I know through speaking to Afro Americans. The majority just do not want to let the country down. They have waited a long time for this and they certainly do not want Barrack to fall flat on his face. They mainly want Barrack to be accepted for who he is within, not his outward appearance. They think like this because they hope their children will no longer have to experience any discrimination and just be judged by the content of their characters. Above all they just want unity and to be accepted as Americans and not referred to as Afro Americans, the majority have have absolutely nothing to do with Africa now.
So stop it! Or am I missing something?

As for the rest of your point, I can see that. The "We waited 400 years for this, don't **** it up" syndrome.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:48 pm

Are you all doing this on purpose?:curse:
Just having a little fun, come on it's time for celebration now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.