Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Originally Posted by DebsyW
True, Tracy, true.
Fatbrit, I daren`t give my opinion on the election - I made a comment and was almost stoned to death so to give my opinion would be suicidal - I know that I`m female but I`m not COMPLETELY stupid (only mildly)
I`m not too good on Parkin but I do make a good Hotpot - and most women prefer it to sex - it beats ironing anyway.
It`s past 1am here and my bed-time. Nice chatting.... even to Fatbrit. I know he is a pussycat really xx
Just make sure it's 100% liberal. Anything else will definitely invoke a stoning (unless they can think of a worse torture)
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebsyW
True, Tracy, true.
Fatbrit, I daren`t give my opinion on the election - I made a comment and was almost stoned to death so to give my opinion would be suicidal - I know that I`m female but I`m not COMPLETELY stupid (only mildly)
I`m not too good on Parkin but I do make a good Hotpot - and most women prefer it to sex - it beats ironing anyway.
It`s past 1am here and my bed-time. Nice chatting.... even to Fatbrit. I know he is a pussycat really xx
You are so random! How cute!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
You are so random! How cute!
I know
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Just make sure it's 100% liberal. Anything else will definitely invoke a stoning (unless they can think of a worse torture)
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I hope among many things that the new Obama administration will work out a deal were Americans and Brits can live 6 months of each year in one another's country.Australia,Canada each have that agreement with the UK and I see no reason why America shouldn't acknowledge the close relationship we have with our British cousins.
They do? News to me. Under what circumstances? I am a Brit living in Canada but I had to apply for Landed Immigrant Status through the usual immigration channels. Once here, you have only to live here 2 years out of 5 to get citizenship then you can come and go as you please.

Last edited by johnh009; Nov 10th 2008 at 1:35 am.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

TheImmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
Good for you I don't share your opinion of the man, but that's fair enough. Of course, I didn't really like anyone who ran this election, I am ashamed that the whole pack of 'em was the best our country could do.

Race, however, has nothing to do with it.

So to me - all this trumpeting "The first BLACK president" - he's perhaps the first mixed race one. But I'm also a bit ashamed of this country, that people are making such a big deal of that.
and why he is supporting zionism ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofbII...ad.php?t=46204

But Before that, look at his vice president

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZmO...ad.php?t=46207
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since he is now our president-elect and in January will be sworn in, can we finally drop these prefixes used with the word "American".

This labeling is not necessary, IMHO, you are either an American or you're not. Let's finally take a step away from this separation of people and become just Americans, working, living and connected to one another by nationality -- American.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Since he is now our president-elect and in January will be sworn in, can we finally drop these prefixes used with the word "American".

This labeling is not necessary, IMHO, you are either an American or you're not. Let's finally take a step away from this separation of people and become just Americans, working, living and connected to one another by nationality -- American.
So you're unilaterally rejecting the established doctrine of co-cultures in American society?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So you're unilaterally rejecting the established doctrine of co-cultures in American society?
Oh quit picking, she's having an opinion. She is making a suggestion/request.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

That's a stupid thing to say.

Does a Brit say they are British or German-British or African-British?

My thought was that there should only be one nationality given, not a hypenated version. It has nothing to do with co-cultures. I'm an American but we celebrate our German/Polish heritage and incorporate some of their customs into our daily lives. Yet, I do not proclaim myself a German-American or a Polish-American.

You just like to be argumentative when it comes to me. I'm delighted that I can provide you with a persona that allows you to exercise your freedom of speech and display of intolerance to those of opinions other than yours.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Always thought it a little odd when I first moved here. Various people would say they were Italian, Irish etc...when I asked which city/town...they'd say they'd never been to Italy, Ireland etc.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Always thought it a little odd when I first moved here. Various people would say they were Italian, Irish etc...when I asked which city/town...they'd say they'd never been to Italy, Ireland etc.
Yeah, I noticed that!

Starting to get them here in the UK as well!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:36 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

There is simply no comparison. The US is a young country by global standards, a synthesis of various immigrant groups being brought together.

Most cultures have a variety of components that define them and bind them together. In contrast, there is no singular American culture beyond a shared political heritage that we choose to adopt (Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc.).

Hyphenation has long been used in order to give individuals a connection to the other components that usually comprise heritage, such as food and holidays and family lineage. For Americans, these almost always extend outside the borders of the US.

Hyphenation is a logical extension of an assimilation-based culture. The difficulties that Europeans have with assimilating immigrants are precisely due to the fact that they do not hyphenate and do poorly in figuring out how to get newcomers invested in the system.

If a Turk emigrates to Germany, he is unlikely to be viewed by his new countrymen as Turkish-German. He is simply Turkish, even if his passport says otherwise. He gets the stigma and burden of being a Turk, because he will never be regarded as German, aside perhaps from his legal status.

Most people like to have some connection with their roots. Blacks have been denied that connection, unlike their countrymen and others outside of the US who know where their culture comes from.

The terminology "African American" is an effort to address that gap. If it works for them (and it certainly seems to), this shouldn't bother you in the slightest. This is their chance to create an identity of their own that isn't imposed on them by someone else, a bit of dignity that everyone deserves to have.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:45 pm
Septicity

That's a stupid thing to say.

My thought was that there should only be one nationality given, not a hypenated version. It has nothing to do with co-cultures. I'm an American but we celebrate our German/Polish heritage and incorporate some of their customs into our daily lives. Yet, I do not proclaim myself a German-American or a Polish-American.

You just like to be argumentative when it comes to me. I'm delighted that I can provide you with a persona that allows you to exercise your freedom of speech and display of intolerance to those of opinions other than yours.
Your prescriptive assumption fails since it is a fallacy that begs the question. Perhaps you would have been happier for me to use the rather outdated term of subculture? Unfortunately if you fail to understand the terms, you cannot hope to understand the argument.

Your reliance on Amendment I is not only a red herring but also another serious misunderstanding of the limits of Constitutional protections.

Your consistent misunderstanding of the way the world is around you never ceases to amaze me. Perhaps this is the reason I occasionally take the liberty to comment?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was mentioned a few posts earlier that America is a young culture,and it is. In fact, it is a culture made up of other cultures. And most of those cultures still thrive in the Little Italy's, Chinatown's, Little Poland's, Germantown's etc.

If I were a Brit perhaps I could trace my ancestors back to the handmaiden to the first Earl of Whateverhampton, or some such. But, as an American I can only trace my American heritage back one generation on my Italian side and two generations on my German side. There are many Americans who can trace their roots back to the founding of the country, and before, but not most. So, we are mostly Italian Americans, etc. Who knows, perhaps I can trace my Italian roots back to the the guy who fed Marco Polo's donkeys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.