Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:12 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Originally Posted by ugacrew
No I don't. 'Monkey' is considered a racial slur in the US.
yes but I read Bob's post as trying to say that the election of 2004 was there for the democrats' taking but they still lost
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
yes but I read Bob's post as trying to say that the election of 2004 was there for the democrats' taking but they still lost
Exactly.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:15 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
That is what he meant. There was no slur being made here.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
No I don't. 'Monkey' is considered a racial slur in the US.
Not always. Give the man the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure you must be correct, and it COULD be a racial slur. But I am quite certain that is not the only use for the term - I have never heard it used that way, and wouldn't have thought so.

I think it depends upon intent, and I am quite confident that Bob did not mean it that way.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Hide like a Rhino? not sure that this quality is admirable but necessary apparently.
Well even a politican must have some admirable quality hidden in there somewhere.

I think there's an old saying (not directly related but it reminds me...)

"Even a blind hog roots up an acorn once in a while"

Ah well, doesn't relate that well actually - but it amuses me
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:34 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well even a politican must have some admirable quality hidden in there somewhere.

I think there's an old saying (not directly related but it reminds me...)

"Even a blind hog roots up an acorn once in a while"

Ah well, doesn't relate that well actually - but it amuses me
Here's a quote that works rather well too, I wonder if Obama will find himself thinking of it post inauguration

"When we got into office, the thing that surprised me most was to find that things were just as bad as we'd been saying they were. "

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Here's a quote that works rather well too, I wonder if Obama will find himself thinking of it post inauguration

"When we got into office, the thing that surprised me most was to find that things were just as bad as we'd been saying they were. "

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA
Dunno - wonder if he's old enough to remember that
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:58 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Language Barrier Alert

The phrase "put a monkey in a suit and it would get elected" is common in regard to elections in Britain, it simply means they will elect anyone of that particular party.

Some words are racist in one country and not another which is why TV prog Spooks is called MI5 in the US.
I'm sure us Brits also grew up being called cheeky monkeys it is in us and is completely innocent.

From The Times
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4362917.ece

"There’s an oft-repeated dictum that if you were to pin a red rosette to a monkey, it would get elected in Glasgow. I suspect that, had I been a monkey, I’d have been handed a pile of leaflets and pressed into action"

From the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2....politicalnews
In a town where it was said that you could pin a Labour rosette on a monkey and people would vote for it, things have changed. Hartlepool voters got rid of the Labour-controlled council in last May's elections after 22 years in charge, and they could turn against Mandelson in the same way.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Language Barrier Alert

The phrase "put a monkey in a suit and it would get elected" is common in regard to elections in Britain, it simply means they will elect anyone of that particular party.

Some words are racist in one country and not another which is why TV prog Spooks is called MI5 in the US.
I'm sure us Brits also grew up being called cheeky monkeys it is in us and is completely innocent.

From The Times
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4362917.ece

"There’s an oft-repeated dictum that if you were to pin a red rosette to a monkey, it would get elected in Glasgow. I suspect that, had I been a monkey, I’d have been handed a pile of leaflets and pressed into action"

From the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2....politicalnews
In a town where it was said that you could pin a Labour rosette on a monkey and people would vote for it, things have changed. Hartlepool voters got rid of the Labour-controlled council in last May's elections after 22 years in charge, and they could turn against Mandelson in the same way.
True enough.

But I'm a yank, and I wouldn't have thought of a racist connotation unless someone mentioned it.

No criticism to Uga, I'm sure she's right and it is sometimes used that way. Just not always.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

But I'm a yank, and I wouldn't have thought of a racist connotation unless someone mentioned it.
i've never ever heard it used as any racial slur ...talk about walking on egg shells on this forum lately
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno - wonder if he's old enough to remember that
Age is no barrier to education.

Now if you had said had Sarah Palin have heard of that I might have agreed.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i've never ever heard it used as any racial slur ...talk about walking on egg shells on this forum lately
You know, people's perceptions of racial slurs are partially a function of their own experiences and race/history.

I remember seeing a pic (referring to domestic violence I believe) that Mr. F likened to the Nazi's portrayal of the Jews as the bad guy - and I never ever would have thought of that. Just looked like a big muscled bad guy to me, didn't strike me as racial at all. Whereas he saw the fellow's nose and dark hair etc. as looking Jewish.

Doesn't make him wrong or me right or vice versa - we just tend to see things through the lens of our own experiences imo.

I am confident no insult was intended with the monkey reference in this case though.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:37 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

You know, people's perceptions of racial slurs are partially a function of their own experiences and race/history.

I am confident no insult was intended with the monkey reference in this case though.
Just to be clear... my point is that Monkey is not generally a slur in Britain, and in particular the reference to the political context. Here in the US in some areas its completely different, I became more aware of it when I met my DH just as I learned that using the term 'boy' can be very offensive as it relates to slavery.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Just to be clear... my point is that Monkey is not generally a slur in Britain, and in particular the reference to the political context. Here in the US in some areas its completely different, I became more aware of it when I met my DH just as I learned that using the term 'boy' can be very offensive as it relates to slavery.
When I first met my husband he used to get annoyed if I called him boy. He worked for the US army for 2 years in Germany...I had no idea it was a racist slur.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When I first met my husband he used to get annoyed if I called him boy. He worked for the US army for 2 years in Germany...I had no idea it was a racist slur.
And again - that certainly can be a racial slur.

Or... people can use it jokingly to a son or husband/bf and not mean a thing (even the yanks). I've certainly said to a teenager "Hey there boy, whatcha doin'?" and didn't mean a thing by it.

It is so easy for such things to be taken other than they are intended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.