Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barking Dog Dilemma

Barking Dog Dilemma

Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:46 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barking Dog Dilemma

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I wasn't saying don't call the cops, I was just saying that shouldn't be the kneejerk first choice. If your neighbour is being an ass about it, I'd say sure, call the cops. I've just learned in my old aged not to assume that someone is an ass just because they're doing something you don't like. Often if you talk nice to them they actually turn out to be reasonable (unless you live in Texas of course).

When I lived in Caerphilly, one of the back neighbours had a yip-yapper of a dog (I love dogs but hated this one). I could just about see her back garden from my back bedroom. Couldn't believe it ... the dog was standing outside the patio doors barking its head off and she was standing right there inside on her freakin mobile, completely ignorant of teh fact she was probably pissing off every neighbour in a 50-metre radius (i.e., about 40 houses).

[edit: I was joking about Texas, but just noticed that's where you live. Too funny!]

Ever heard the expression "Don't mess with Texas...."

Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:54 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Ever heard the expression "Don't mess with Texas...."

It's too late for him, now. He's messed.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I was not joking at all ... I'm too chicken to actually do it, but - any dog that is not kept under control by their owners are fair game as far as I'm concerned.
Oh Steerpike, that's terrible. The problem is the owners, not the dog.

Animal abuse is NEVER okay.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We have a dog that barks, although not constantly or too loud. He is old and almost completely deaf and can't really hear himself. He has had seperation anxiety for almost all his life, but the barking just started to be more when he went deaf. We keep him in the house most of the time and don't put him in the back yard when we go out so he doesn't upset the neighbours. What annoys me is the next door neighbours kid that plays the drums with the front door open.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:20 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake View Post
Yep. But shooting asshole owners in the face is always socially acceptable.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Take that sucker
Attached Thumbnails Barking Dog Dilemma-cat_gun.jpg  

Last edited by Poppy girl; Sep 12th 2009 at 12:02 am.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Animal abuse is NEVER okay.[/QUOTE]

Please tell Fatbrit that for me then
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Steerpike, that's terrible. The problem is the owners, not the dog.
Well, first of all, I don't even kill spiders any longer, and I adore wildlife ... I've taken birds with broken wings to the local wildlife rehab center, and how anyone could intentionally kill something as graceful as a deer is way beyond my comprehension. I'm also opposed to gun ownership ... so the chances of me actually popping off a neighbor's dog are pretty slim. However - like Meauxna - I am super-sensitive to noise and when some ass**le neighbor lets their dog bark all night I do fantasize about snuffing out the creature.

I'm all for treating animals well. All animals - including battery chickens, veal cows, etc ... so as much as I'm being somewhat silly in my earlier posts, a quick bullet to the head of a neighboring dog is no worse than what happens probably every 2 seconds in a meat processing plant or a chicken plant ... .

As you said - this is really all about the owners. A few barking-dog-eliminations in town may give owners a bit more of an incentive to take care of their pets. I don't claim to be a pet psychologist but if a dog is kept outside all night, and is barking its head off, it could be claimed that that is 'abuse' ...

A huge amount of pet ownership is selfishness on the part of the owner. I would never own a dog until such time as I am home all day, and am able to deal with it when on vacation. I work with people who live in 1br condos and they have big dogs they leave cooped up all day ... in violation of the condo rules, of course ... probably barking away all day, driving everyone nuts ... and why? so these people don't have to solve their loneliness in the evening ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Sep 12th 2009 at 7:00 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! This is MY fantasy thread! All speculations are just noise-induced mania and I'm sure there isn't a person on here who would actually DO what we're talking about doing.

SO! More creative and fun speculations, pleeeease. Today we can add blue jays to the list. Where's my cap gun anyway?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:29 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Well, first of all, I don't even kill spiders any longer, and I adore wildlife ... I've taken birds with broken wings to the local wildlife rehab center, and how anyone could intentionally kill something as graceful as a deer is way beyond my comprehension. I'm also opposed to gun ownership ... so the chances of me actually popping off a neighbor's dog are pretty slim. However - like Meauxna - I am super-sensitive to noise and when some ass**le neighbor lets their dog bark all night I do fantasize about snuffing out the creature.

I'm all for treating animals well. All animals - including battery chickens, veal cows, etc ... so as much as I'm being somewhat silly in my earlier posts, a quick bullet to the head of a neighboring dog is no worse than what happens probably every 2 seconds in a meat processing plant or a chicken plant ... .

As you said - this is really all about the owners. A few barking-dog-eliminations in town may give owners a bit more of an incentive to take care of their pets. I don't claim to be a pet psychologist but if a dog is kept outside all night, and is barking its head off, it could be claimed that that is 'abuse' ...

A huge amount of pet ownership is selfishness on the part of the owner. I would never own a dog until such time as I am home all day, and am able to deal with it when on vacation. I work with people who live in 1br condos and they have big dogs they leave cooped up all day ... in violation of the condo rules, of course ... probably barking away all day, driving everyone nuts ... and why? so these people don't have to solve their loneliness in the evening ...
Excellent post
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

A huge amount of pet ownership is selfishness on the part of the owner.
I couldn't agree more. That's why we shouldn't sell pets in pet stores (too easy for an impulse purchase of a puppy mill dog). I also have zero tolerance for those who decide it would be 'fun' to breed their dog, when we put down an insane number of unwanted pets everyday in this country.

Our dog stays in the house while we're at work, and from what I can tell he appears to sleep most of the day. (He does on the weekends when we'd normally be at work.) We didn't get a dog until we were able to buy our first house, with a fenced backyard.

We're very fortunate in that everyone in our neighborhood is considerate when it comes to their pets. I always laugh to myself when I hear our neighbor's dog begin to bark in the evening, and can hear her scolding him in hushed tones and rushing him into the house. We do the same. It's about being a good neighbor and considerate to those around you.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

So how about car alarms ... anyone else fantasize about blowing up any car who's alarm sounds for no good reason? Some twerps set their alarms to some super-sensitive setting, such that they sound when a fly lands on the thing ... then they park it out of earshot and let it sound all night! Thankfully, there have been new rules introduced that limit the amount of time an alarm can sound, but still - some alarms are nuts. I once had to pop the hood and rip off the battery terminal of a car who's alarm sounded indefinitely in my driveway - it was a housemate who went off on holiday leaving his car fully 'armed' ...
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So how about car alarms ... anyone else fantasize about blowing up any car who's alarm sounds for no good reason? Some twerps set their alarms to some super-sensitive setting, such that they sound when a fly lands on the thing ... then they park it out of earshot and let it sound all night! Thankfully, there have been new rules introduced that limit the amount of time an alarm can sound, but still - some alarms are nuts. I once had to pop the hood and rip off the battery terminal of a car who's alarm sounded indefinitely in my driveway - it was a housemate who went off on holiday leaving his car fully 'armed' ...
When I got my car, there siren was faulty and there was a problem with the onboard computer, so it went off constantly till the shop replaced it, but undoing the battery didn't help because the alarm was an enclosed unit with it's own battery....and the bugger is loud
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

i called a dog trainer for advice when my neighbours 2 dogs barked all day while they were at work.

I worked nights and got home at 8am to go to bed and couldnt not sleep with those dogs barking for hours on end.

Anyway, the trainer suggested two things. Both things require your time but they worked for me.

The first was a watergun. Dog barks squirt it. Everytime it barks squirt it. If this has no affect step 2.

The rattle. Get and empty drinks bottle. Put a handful of stones or beans in it. Screw lid on it tightly. Shake hard once per bark, it startles the dog enough to stop barking. This may take some time. And require you to stand and do it for a while every day for a few days. But it does work. Eventually my neighbours dogs stopped barking constantly and just at cats or squirells.

Write a letter to the neighbour, even record the barking for them to get an idea of the problem.

Good luck!