Reload this Page >

Barking Dog Dilemma

Barking Dog Dilemma

Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Barking Dog Dilemma

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
I admit that I am sensitive to noise, especially repetitive noise. But school has gone back in session today and god help me, I'm going to blow!

A neighbor's dog started this AM when the owners went to work (school), well before I prized myself out of bed. It's been barking for at least 6 straight hours now (ok, it seemed to take a nap around noon for a half or so). By 'neighbor', I mean they live a block away but this dog's voice! is very penetrating. It actually woke me before the alarm (dangerous).

Thank god the one that lives on the other side of me has not started up; she usually goes all day when left alone but her bosses must be home.

What complicates this is that I'm acquainted with the owners. They're very nice & I'm sure they don't know, and the altruistic part of me thinks they would want to know... there's no way I'm facing down another dog owner around here. The Devil Dog in the back that barks for hours on end? When I tried to bring it up to him, her lovely owner told me "Yes, isn't that awful? She's old and set in her ways..."

I think I'm developing a reputation, but sheesh, wouldn't YOU have a word with the unemployed neighbor who spaced out with his leaf blower for TWO hours, cleaning the street?!

Thank god the pile driver on the bluff hasn't started up again this week. That almost put me over the edge with the clang, clang, clang...

But seriously, Paco the dog is giving me issues. What to do?!
(sedatives?)
Not really a issue for the police to deal with, but does your city not have a department of animal control that does deal with this type of problem? In victoria once the avenues of trying to bring the situation to a resolution with the owners of the animal has failed, we can call animal control. They will go the house and talk to the owners - they are given three chances and then game over - they are heavily fined for the dog being a public nuisance.....my taxdollars doing a good job to keep my sanity....
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
.....my taxdollars doing a good job to keep my sanity....
No sales tax here, that's the problem.

edit: Apropos of *everything* the final adjoining neighbor has chosen today to have new granite countertops manufactured and installed today. The SAWS!!!!!
I'll never win.

Last edited by meauxna; Sep 9th 2009 at 10:52 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:21 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad View Post
I do hope this was meant as a joke. A nuisance the poor dog may be but it would never deserve any of that horrible treatment - if you said that over here it would a clear case of action by the SSPCA....RSPCA in England.
Not meaning to pile on here (and Mo seems to have covered most things) but, while your support for the SSPCA may be laudable, if I were you I'd avoid associating myself with those cnuts south of the border. The RSPCA seem to spend a little too much of their time harassing animal lovers, murdering their pets and suborning perjury for my taste. From what I've read, the SSPCA has spoken out against such despicable practices.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:24 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

edit: Apropos of *everything* the final adjoining neighbor has chosen today to have new granite countertops manufactured and installed today. The SAWS!!!!!
Sosh, Pet, but kittens don't get involved with home improvement issues.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope this was meant as a joke. A nuisance the poor dog may be but it would never deserve any of that horrible treatment - if you said that over here it would a clear case of action by the SSPCA....RSPCA in England.

But don't shoot or poison the poor animal no matter how strong your feelings are.
I was not joking at all ... I'm too chicken to actually do it, but - any dog that is not kept under control by their owners are fair game as far as I'm concerned.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I meant it.

Here in the UK barking dogs proving to be a nuisance for neighbours can best be dealt with by reporting the fact to the Local Authority (Council) department dealing with "noise pollution" under the title of Environmental Health. You might also consider reporting it to the local coppers who would most probably tell you to do what I've just said anyway, but at least the police may appraoch the owners about the problem....contact Environmental Health or whatever they call it over there...I assume they have the equivalent thereof.
How does that shut the dog up so you can get some kip there and then? It won't. It'll take them WEEKS to do the slightest thing and that'll probably be a limp wristed letter to the owner. WOW WEE!! . Weeks of some mutt barking its head off and they send a letter.... they might aswell give the dog a ****ing ASBO for all the good that will do.

I maintain, go and shoot the bastard or chuck a Prime Rib laced with Strychnine over the fence when the owners are out.

But don't shoot or poison the poor animal no matter how strong your feelings are.
The dog had the chance to shut up when I shouted at it...as far as I am concerned it threw the gauntlet down and taunted me when it continued to bark, practically daring me (a sleep deprived man) to do something about it. Stupid dog.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
Not really a issue for the police to deal with, but does your city not have a department of animal control that does deal with this type of problem? In victoria once the avenues of trying to bring the situation to a resolution with the owners of the animal has failed, we can call animal control. They will go the house and talk to the owners - they are given three chances and then game over - they are heavily fined for the dog being a public nuisance.....my taxdollars doing a good job to keep my sanity....
It varies by city and county in the US, in many places it is the police who deal with annoying dogs causing noise. Sometimes the police are animal control too.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved to Scotland, I tried leaving Suzy in the back yard while I was at work, as that worked fine in Tennessee. A few days later, the back neighbour told me Suzy was barking all day and that was setting her dog off barking in the house. Although one could question who barked first and which dog was setting off which dog, being a good neighbour I arranged for Suze to stay with a dog-sitter during the day (I don't think she enjoys British backyards anyway - not enough squirrels, the weather sucks, and you can't see past the fence).

When I moved to N. Carolina, she woke me up at 3 a.m. needing outside, so I let her out and she didn't want to come back in (smart dog, she always knows to stay outside when she has a dose of the sh*ts). I subsequently fell asleep on the couch until the next door neighbour called me at 4 a.m. to say the police were at his door ("Oh, that's what all that flashing is, then?" I thought) responding from another neighbour (they wouldn't tell him who) who had called them complaining about a barking dog (my nice neighbour had two dogs, hence the police turned up mistakenly at his door). I let Suzy back in and bought my next-door neighbour (the nice one, not the complainer) a box of luxury chocolates to apologise for the inconvenience.

Notwithstanding all the inventive and really funny suggestions, from my experience with my own dog, I'd say the best first step is to talk to your neighbour on the assumption that he/she is a reasonable person, and hope they do something about it.

As for calling the police on the one single occasion my dog was barking outside (in a neighborhood of dogs that are always barking), if I could have found out which one of them had called the cops, they would have got some chocolates too (but the laxative kind).

"Reporting" a neighbour (to the cops, SSPCA, Animal Control) isn't the best first response, IMO, as you have to live next door to them and most people prefer to be asked nicely first rather than the hassle of having to answer to someone in uniform. That's a bit like telling the teacher because Mary stuck her tongue out at you.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:46 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post

As for calling the police on the one single occasion my dog was barking outside (in a neighborhood of dogs that are always barking), if I could have found out which one of them had called the cops, they would have got some chocolates too (but the laxative kind).

"Reporting" a neighbour (to the cops, SSPCA, Animal Control) isn't the best first response, IMO, as you have to live next door to them and most people prefer to be asked nicely first rather than the hassle of having to answer to someone in uniform. That's a bit like telling the teacher because Mary stuck her tongue out at you.

But not all neighbours that have annoying barking dogs will take any notice when you politely complain to them so calling the cops (in our case) was the only way to solve the problem.

We had even tried sleeping in our spare bedroom to get away from the culprit a little further but it still didn't help. So why should we suffer night after night?

All pet owners should be responsible, many are not.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the fine for discharging a firearm in city limits is too steep; I could have the dog kidnapped for less.
Just go over for a visit, when the neighbors aren't home, and let Paco (that is the barking dog, right?) out of the backyard. The dog disappears to who knows where and the barking stops. Problems solved!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
But not all neighbours that have annoying barking dogs will take any notice when you politely complain to them so calling the cops (in our case) was the only way to solve the problem.

My neighbors were in denial about their dogs - when they were home, the dogs were meek and mild, never barking. They reacted as if I were being unreasonable/mistaken.

I'm now back to earplugs so I can sleep with the new neighbors!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
My neighbors were in denial about their dogs - when they were home, the dogs were meek and mild, never barking. They reacted as if I were being unreasonable/mistaken.

Menage a trois?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Do they snore?

The garbage man set Paco off again today but he's on a break right now.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:44 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

TMI
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post

We had even tried sleeping in our spare bedroom to get away from the culprit a little further but it still didn't help. So why should we suffer night after night?

All pet owners should be responsible, many are not.
I wasn't saying don't call the cops, I was just saying that shouldn't be the kneejerk first choice. If your neighbour is being an ass about it, I'd say sure, call the cops. I've just learned in my old aged not to assume that someone is an ass just because they're doing something you don't like. Often if you talk nice to them they actually turn out to be reasonable (unless you live in Texas of course).

When I lived in Caerphilly, one of the back neighbours had a yip-yapper of a dog (I love dogs but hated this one). I could just about see her back garden from my back bedroom. Couldn't believe it ... the dog was standing outside the patio doors barking its head off and she was standing right there inside on her freakin mobile, completely ignorant of teh fact she was probably pissing off every neighbour in a 50-metre radius (i.e., about 40 houses).

[edit: I was joking about Texas, but just noticed that's where you live. Too funny!]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.