Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barking Dog Dilemma

Barking Dog Dilemma

Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barking Dog Dilemma

Originally Posted by Walkingman

As for the posters who are troubled by neighbours' noisy dogs - they make me glad I live in a place where handgun ownership is legal.
That may be so, but I don't think shooting neighbours noisy dogs is
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:03 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That may be so, but I don't think shooting neighbours noisy dogs is
Unless you're a kitten.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Unless you're a kitten.
Well that's a given
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:15 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm sure that they do. You learn selective hearing. The dog's bark is much the same as kid noise or husband's voice, you learn to ignore it.

What I hate most is when those neighbors' have dogs that are not tied up in the yard and jump over the fence or the kids let him out and they trespass on your property, take their dumps and you are left to clean up after them.
Shovel this onto their door step with a polite note thanking them, but telling them that you already take enough of this from them already.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So many good suggestions... so few neighborhood dogs to eliminate!

You guys gave me a good laugh to shake it off, thanks! Still don't know which approach to use, but fantasizing about the more artistic ones sure is fun!

Not a peep from Paco this morning, so maybe someone else read them the riot act last night & gave them a clue.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Not a peep from Paco this morning, so maybe someone else read them the riot act last night & gave them a clue.
Perhaps a Stealth Ninja Kitten went round and gave Paco a talking to...
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Shovel this onto their door step with a polite note thanking them, but telling them that you already take enough of this from them already.
....Absolutely appropriate for step one. Failing that, shovel it onto their windshield. Trust me.........problem solved.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a Stealth Ninja Kitten went round and gave Paco a talking to...
One with a Texas accent?!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:48 pm

One with a Texas accent?!
The kitten informs me that she is not disposed to answer that question at this time, Ma'am.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:51 pm

The kitten informs me that she is not disposed to answer that question at this time, Ma'am.

Please tell her 'hello' from us and that Wanda had a dodgy belly this week too. In sympathy, I'm sure.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:58 pm

Please tell her 'hello' from us and that Wanda had a dodgy belly this week too. In sympathy, I'm sure.
Aww, poor Wanda. We use this stuff called Gastromate. It's made from fish eggs and marketed for dogs (but works for kittens) and what it does is restock the intestinal flora. The kitten is feeling better, thanks. I think it was a toxic reaction to an increase in one of her meds, which we've now cut back, and she's properly hydrated again, thanks to sitting on daddy's lap while I give her sub-Q fluids from a drip - which we hang from the lamp above her chair.

I'll tell her 'hello'.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:09 pm

Aww, poor Wanda. We use this stuff called Gastromate. It's made from fish eggs and marketed for dogs (but works for kittens) and what it does is restock the intestinal flora. The kitten is feeling better, thanks. I think it was a toxic reaction to an increase in one of her meds, which we've now cut back, and she's properly hydrated again, thanks to sitting on daddy's lap while I give her sub-Q fluids from a drip - which we hang from the lamp above her chair.

I'll tell her 'hello'.
Oh my!

Wanda ate a bad moth.

(still not a peep from Paco.....)
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:33 pm

Wanda ate a bad moth.
All moths are bad moths. A bit like birdies - very naughty, these birdies.*

(still not a peep from Paco.....)
I am reliably assured that you will have no further trouble from Paco. There are many glowey eyes in his vicinity.

* A paraphrase from an old boss of mine who, when dealing with European matters, was prone to say "Very tricky, these French."
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Shoot the frickin dog or if you aint got the balls...slyly poison it.
I do hope this was meant as a joke. A nuisance the poor dog may be but it would never deserve any of that horrible treatment - if you said that over here it would a clear case of action by the SSPCA....RSPCA in England.

Here in the UK barking dogs proving to be a nuisance for neighbours can best be dealt with by reporting the fact to the Local Authority (Council) department dealing with "noise pollution" under the title of Environmental Health. You might also consider reporting it to the local coppers who would most probably tell you to do what I've just said anyway, but at least the police may appraoch the owners about the problem....contact Environmental Health or whatever they call it over there...I assume they have the equivalent thereof.

But don't shoot or poison the poor animal no matter how strong your feelings are.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:28 pm

Didn't really read the thread, did you L?
And really, the RSPCS would go after someone for *saying* what OP said? (he knows that as a chick, I don't actually *have* balls. Or a firearm for that matter)

Our cops are busy, and I don't want them spending their time scolding my neighbors about a barking dog. In fact, they don't take barking dog calls anymore, but offer a list of helpful steps to calmly and peacefully settle the issue.
http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/dbcs/pets/barking.shtml

Venting in this thread was a LOT more satisfying and the Kitty Posse seems to have shut poor Paco up.
The Devil Dog out back is another story, so I just look for ways to annoy her owners in a passive agressive way by talking about them behind their backs and smiling to their faces.

The poisoning thing is disgusting, and as fun as it is to fantasize about eliminating my own problem, we unfortunately saw far too much of that in Greece. The suffering is indescribable and is ironically carried out BY the Council.
Oh, and the fine for discharging a firearm in city limits is too steep; I could have the dog kidnapped for less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.