Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barking Dog Dilemma

Barking Dog Dilemma

Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barking Dog Dilemma

Originally Posted by Englishtart
If you are friendly with the owners and they don't know the dog barks ALL day, then maybe just bringing it to their notice could help?

It's a sensitive area though, I know I had a neighbour with a loud barking dog in OK, I approached friendly like, but got told to mind my own business and if it bothered me, I was welcome to keep the dog in my house all day!
My parents used to be friendly with an awful couple, the woman was like the Alison Steadman character in Abigail's Party, she had a load of yappy Yorkshire terriers that she called 'moy baybeees' which her neighbours were doing their collective nut over, but she just wouldn't hear a word against them.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I sympathise, I am screwing up the courage to say something about the f$*%ing rooser problem we have, my neighbour said I'm voted to handle it because of my 'nice English accent'.

Why can't people realize when they are just pissing everyone in the neighbourhood off.
The neighbour that died was the one that had the Rooster as well.....that went AWOL the day after he died as well.

Peace in the neighbourhood.....for now!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
The neighbour that died was the one that had the Rooster as well.....that went AWOL the day after he died as well.

Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I admit that I am sensitive to noise, especially repetitive noise. But school has gone back in session today and god help me, I'm going to blow!

A neighbor's dog started this AM when the owners went to work (school), well before I prized myself out of bed. It's been barking for at least 6 straight hours now (ok, it seemed to take a nap around noon for a half or so). By 'neighbor', I mean they live a block away but this dog's voice! is very penetrating. It actually woke me before the alarm (dangerous).

Thank god the one that lives on the other side of me has not started up; she usually goes all day when left alone but her bosses must be home.

What complicates this is that I'm acquainted with the owners. They're very nice & I'm sure they don't know, and the altruistic part of me thinks they would want to know... there's no way I'm facing down another dog owner around here. The Devil Dog in the back that barks for hours on end? When I tried to bring it up to him, her lovely owner told me "Yes, isn't that awful? She's old and set in her ways..."

I think I'm developing a reputation, but sheesh, wouldn't YOU have a word with the unemployed neighbor who spaced out with his leaf blower for TWO hours, cleaning the street?!

Thank god the pile driver on the bluff hasn't started up again this week. That almost put me over the edge with the clang, clang, clang...

But seriously, Paco the dog is giving me issues. What to do?!
(sedatives?)
You and I must live in parallel universes! I think I have the most sensitive ears in the universe.

I was on good terms with a neighbor some time ago, but didn't have daily contact with them; their dogs were great when they were home, but barked endlessly when they were away. I finally had the occasion to write them an email and mentioned it in passing. They did try various things (shock collars, etc) but nothing was very successful. They started 'boarding' their dog when they went away for weekends, so all I had to endure was the time they were gone during the day. I fantasized about poisoning the dogs ... Eventually, they moved on ... releif!

Just recently, a new family has moved into the neighborhood, and their dog yaps all morning and wakes me up. I wrote an anonymous letter to them, telling them I would report the dog if they didn't control it. I'm waiting to see if it has any effect.

It's the only reason I'd ever consider buying a gun - to shoot the f**ckers.

I don't do well with snoring either ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Sep 9th 2009 at 6:51 am.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Barking Dog Dilemma

My sister (in England) had next door neighbours who managed an Irish social club, so they were rarely home until about 1am.

They had a Jack Russell which they left in their back garden most of the time and the damn dog would yap and bark for hours. I always stay with her on trips back to the UK and the dog would go berserk when I was hanging out the washing in the garden.

It drove my sister insane and was the main reason why she moved to another house in the same neighbourhood; she asked the (very nice) neighbours to take the dog indoors whenever they had a viewing otherwise she would never have been able to sell that house!

(She was also angry about a neighbour's cat that would come to her back garden and consistently crap in it - she hates cats - so got a super-soaker water gun and would blast it whenever she spotted it in her garden....mind you she did have a small pond and I guess the cat was attracted to the fish and the frog).

Maybe the o/p could try a super-soaker water gun on the barking dog?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You and I must live in parallel universes! I think I have the most sensitive ears in the universe.

I was on good terms with a neighbor some time ago, but didn't have daily contact with them; their dogs were great when they were home, but barked endlessly when they were away. I finally had the occasion to write them an email and mentioned it in passing. They did try various things (shock collars, etc) but nothing was very successful. They started 'boarding' their dog when they went away for weekends, so all I had to endure was the time they were gone during the day. I fantasized about poisoning the dogs ... Eventually, they moved on ... releif!

Just recently, a new family has moved into the neighborhood, and their dog yaps all morning and wakes me up. I wrote an anonymous letter to them, telling them I would report the dog if they didn't control it. I'm waiting to see if it has any effect.

It's the only reason I'd ever consider buying a gun - to shoot the f**ckers.

I don't do well with snoring either ...
A cricket in the house can keep me up all night. I once had a mouse chewing it's way in the house in the corner of my bedroom, kept me awake but not my OH. Me screaming "**** off you bastard" and banging a broom handle on the skirting board woke him up though.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I admit that I am sensitive to noise, especially repetitive noise. But school has gone back in session today and god help me, I'm going to blow!

A neighbor's dog started this AM when the owners went to work (school), well before I prized myself out of bed. It's been barking for at least 6 straight hours now (ok, it seemed to take a nap around noon for a half or so). By 'neighbor', I mean they live a block away but this dog's voice! is very penetrating. It actually woke me before the alarm (dangerous).

Thank god the one that lives on the other side of me has not started up; she usually goes all day when left alone but her bosses must be home.

What complicates this is that I'm acquainted with the owners. They're very nice & I'm sure they don't know, and the altruistic part of me thinks they would want to know... there's no way I'm facing down another dog owner around here. The Devil Dog in the back that barks for hours on end? When I tried to bring it up to him, her lovely owner told me "Yes, isn't that awful? She's old and set in her ways..."

I think I'm developing a reputation, but sheesh, wouldn't YOU have a word with the unemployed neighbor who spaced out with his leaf blower for TWO hours, cleaning the street?!

Thank god the pile driver on the bluff hasn't started up again this week. That almost put me over the edge with the clang, clang, clang...

(sedatives?)
Seeing as your friendly with the owner can you take the stance of "hi, I'm really concerned about Fi-fi as she seems very upset when you're gone during the day and won't stop barking, I'm sure it's not good for her stress levels...."etc. etc.??
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Barking Dog Dilemma

Chubby Brown's neighbour to Chubby Brown;

"Oi Chubby - Your f*****g dog keeps going for me."

Chubby Brown To His Neighbour;

"Do you want to buy him? - He won't go anywhere for me."

Jim.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:32 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

(sedatives?)

Stay up all night on a weeknight. Call them every 30 minutes barking into the phone.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:51 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, Mo. And you being a cat lover and all. The solution is obvious - arm Wanda.

Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What I can never figure is, if your own dog is out in the yard barking continually how do you not hear it yourself? Surely it is louder in your own house than what the neighbours hear?

I'm sure that they do. You learn selective hearing. The dog's bark is much the same as kid noise or husband's voice, you learn to ignore it.

What I hate most is when those neighbors' have dogs that are not tied up in the yard and jump over the fence or the kids let him out and they trespass on your property, take their dumps and you are left to clean up after them.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Arrange literature through the internet on dog barking to be posted to their address,they may get the point
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

One way to solve the problem
Attached Thumbnails Barking Dog Dilemma-an3.jpg  
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm sure that they do. You learn selective hearing. The dog's bark is much the same as kid noise or husband's voice, you learn to ignore it.

What I hate most is when those neighbors' have dogs that are not tied up in the yard and jump over the fence or the kids let him out and they trespass on your property, take their dumps and you are left to clean up after them.
...or they are are so doped up on drugs or alcohol that there could be a Cat 3 hurricane come through and they still don't know whats going on (and that was a fact)
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:55 pm
Another wandering Scot

Walkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really nice

And you were eating coq au vin that evening. Pure coincidence?

As for the posters who are troubled by neighbours' noisy dogs - they make me glad I live in a place where handgun ownership is legal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.