Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barking Dog Dilemma

Barking Dog Dilemma

Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barking Dog Dilemma

I admit that I am sensitive to noise, especially repetitive noise. But school has gone back in session today and god help me, I'm going to blow!

A neighbor's dog started this AM when the owners went to work (school), well before I prized myself out of bed. It's been barking for at least 6 straight hours now (ok, it seemed to take a nap around noon for a half or so). By 'neighbor', I mean they live a block away but this dog's voice! is very penetrating. It actually woke me before the alarm (dangerous).

Thank god the one that lives on the other side of me has not started up; she usually goes all day when left alone but her bosses must be home.

What complicates this is that I'm acquainted with the owners. They're very nice & I'm sure they don't know, and the altruistic part of me thinks they would want to know... there's no way I'm facing down another dog owner around here. The Devil Dog in the back that barks for hours on end? When I tried to bring it up to him, her lovely owner told me "Yes, isn't that awful? She's old and set in her ways..."

I think I'm developing a reputation, but sheesh, wouldn't YOU have a word with the unemployed neighbor who spaced out with his leaf blower for TWO hours, cleaning the street?!

Thank god the pile driver on the bluff hasn't started up again this week. That almost put me over the edge with the clang, clang, clang...

But seriously, Paco the dog is giving me issues. What to do?!
(sedatives?)
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barking Dog Dilemma

Shoot the frickin dog or if you aint got the balls...slyly poison it.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Does Portland have a code enforcement officer. Milwaukie does, he deals with noisy dog complaints, usually in the first instant by friendly advice and as a last resort by a ticket.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

someone fed a dog laxatives...the following day the furniture suite was found by the side of the road because whenever the dog barked, it shat itself across the room.

Mucho cruel...but very funny
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

If you are friendly with the owners and they don't know the dog barks ALL day, then maybe just bringing it to their notice could help?

It's a sensitive area though, I know I had a neighbour with a loud barking dog in OK, I approached friendly like, but got told to mind my own business and if it bothered me, I was welcome to keep the dog in my house all day!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It's like a sketch in personalities.

I like both ideas even if neither will fly.

OMG I just saw Bob's. THAT has merit... it's a big dog!
lansbury, they're too busy for barking dog calls up here now. I mean, I know the owners.. by rights I should just say something to them.

Now that I'm on the neighborhood board I have to be careful about getting caught in my usual mayhem.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart
If you are friendly with the owners and they don't know the dog barks ALL day, then maybe just bringing it to their notice could help?

It's a sensitive area though, I know I had a neighbour with a loud barking dog in OK, I approached friendly like, but got told to mind my own business and if it bothered me, I was welcome to keep the dog in my house all day!
I've actually planned an end run around the new next door people and their problem dog by offering to walk it every day while they're at work.
I'm coaching their dog, because it wants to murder the Devil Dog, and I want her to win. Goooooo Gracie!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've actually planned an end run around the new next door people and their problem dog by offering to walk it every day while they're at work.
I'm coaching their dog, because it wants to murder the Devil Dog, and I want her to win. Goooooo Gracie!
You go Girl!!!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Does Portland have a code enforcement officer. Milwaukie does, he deals with noisy dog complaints, usually in the first instant by friendly advice and as a last resort by a ticket.
That's what I would do. I live in a small town so I would call the police or the local council.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Shoot the frickin dog or if you aint got the balls...slyly poison it.

That's what my daughter's neighbor does with their dogs when they get out of hand. Takes them into the woods and shoots them. I kid you not. And this is a "respected" member of the national guard and a police officer.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL you think you have problems the old battle axe next door has a mutt that yaps and yaps all the bloody time to the point of us going insane I have shouted and screamed at it, thrown it meat with a laxative inside hoping it would crap its self and be more concerned at the smell then the yowling, the other neighbors called the animal control and still this bastard dog persists WHY!

I will tell you why!......... the OLD BAG next door is deaf as a flippen post and does not hear a thing NADA JACK SH!T, I love animals but if I can find a taxidermist in the area believe me its days are numbered.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

OMG I just saw Bob's. THAT has merit... it's a big dog!
Bonus points if the suite is white
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
That's what my daughter's neighbor does with their dogs when they get out of hand. Takes them into the woods and shoots them. I kid you not. And this is a "respected" member of the national guard and a police officer.
That's what happens in Austria, call the police, get three warnings, after that, a hunter is called.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
LOL you think you have problems the old battle axe next door has a mutt that yaps and yaps all the bloody time to the point of us going insane I have shouted and screamed at it, thrown it meat with a laxative inside hoping it would crap its self and be more concerned at the smell then the yowling, the other neighbors called the animal control and still this bastard dog persists WHY!

I will tell you why!......... the OLD BAG next door is deaf as a flippen post and does not hear a thing NADA JACK SH!T, I love animals but if I can find a taxidermist in the area believe me its days are numbered.

Our local chief of police told us that everyone is entitled to a good nights sleep when I complained about a dog near us that just yapped and yapped for hours and hours night after night. He told us to call and make a complaint and the cops would go and talk to the owner.

One night when we just couldn't sleep I called, it was about 2am. We watched from the window as the cop banged on the door, all the time the dog was barking and barking. No-one answered the door. The cop left and as he drove away the neighbour stuck her head out the door and then went straight back in again.So I called the cop again and he came back and he kept banging on the door until she answered. He gave her 3 choices, she either took the dog in the house and kept it under control, she could leave it outside but put a shock collar on it or he would have animal control take it to the pound. She took it in the house.

Last month her husband died and the day after he died the dog was gone. Turns out she didn't even want a dog, it was his and she hated having it in the house.

What I can never figure is, if your own dog is out in the yard barking continually how do you not hear it yourself? Surely it is louder in your own house than what the neighbours hear?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise, I am screwing up the courage to say something about the f$*%ing rooser problem we have, my neighbour said I'm voted to handle it because of my 'nice English accent'.

Why can't people realize when they are just pissing everyone in the neighbourhood off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.