British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Barclaycard: UK -> USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/barclaycard-uk-usa-851280/)

JinxyCat Jan 22nd 2015 6:04 pm

Barclaycard: UK -> USA

Has anyone tried to get a US Barclaycard using your credit history from your UK one (like American Express do)?

I have had my Barclaycard for over 10 years, and have a pretty hefty limit and good history with them - and have just seen that Barclaycard US exist and was hoping that this could jump me out of the 'credit building' which I'm slowly going through now...

I've called Barclaycard USA and they've given me the standard spiel about not being able to use it...but if I call UK services will I get a separate answer, does anyone know?

Hotscot Jan 22nd 2015 6:09 pm

Re: Barclaycard: UK -> USA

Please don't think I'm being nosy...but do you actually need a lot of credit or is it more the credit score aspect?

hungryhorace Jan 22nd 2015 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by JinxyCat (Post 11541919)
Has anyone tried to get a US Barclaycard using your credit history from your UK one (like American Express do)?

Yes. I reached out to the exec office here in the US for Barclaycard. It was a no go concerning using my history in the UK towards my US credit application.

You don't want a Barclaycard here anyway, they're not very good. Hopefully you have an AMEX card, where you CAN accomplish what you're describing.

JinxyCat Jan 22nd 2015 6:19 pm

@hotscot, I don't need a big limit - but hoped that having a larger limit might make a difference to my US credit score. Truthfully, I'm probably ok with just the secured credit card which we have for the next few months - it was just that I was going to go to Apple and get an ipod on their 'interest-free' to help build credit and saw it was through barclaycard and wondered if having one would make a difference.

Seems like it doesn't though.

JinxyCat Jan 22nd 2015 6:19 pm

@hungryhorace - I suspected as much.

I don't unfortunately have an American Express, I was Barclaycard and HSBC Business all the way! And annoyingly, we don't have an HSBC near us in Arizona!

Hotscot Jan 22nd 2015 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by JinxyCat (Post 11541937)
@hotscot, I don't need a big limit - but hoped that having a larger limit might make a difference to my US credit score.

Yes. Utilisation of available credit is taken into account for your credit score however I don't know to what extent.

Pulaski Jan 22nd 2015 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11541944)
Yes. Utilisation of available credit is taken into account for your credit score however I don't know to what extent.

Not much - 10% of the credit score figure IIRC. It is possible to have an enviable credit score (725-750 range) with several loans and close to maxed-out credit cards. :o

Hotscot Jan 22nd 2015 6:34 pm

Wow..that's interesting. I thought it would have more weight.

markonline1 Jan 22nd 2015 7:56 pm

I had a credit card with Capitol One for about 15 years in the UK that was used quite heavily. When I applied for one over here (a secured one at that) they told me to do one!! Now that I have a secured credit card through my bank, and therefor a credit score, I get a letter about once a fortnight saying I e been approved for various cards LOL. I shan't be taking them up on any of their offers.

sir_eccles Jan 22nd 2015 8:00 pm

For the most part UK and US banks that share the same name tend to be separate trading entities.

Pulaski Jan 22nd 2015 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11542041)
For the most part UK and US retail banks that share the same name tend to be separate trading legal entities.

FIFY :)

The only exception is, I think, Citibank, which isn't exactly a big player in the UK.

Hotscot Jan 22nd 2015 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11542036)
When I applied for one over here (a secured one at that) they told me to do one!!

Do one what?

AdobePinon Jan 23rd 2015 3:29 am

Yeah, Barclays sucks in the US. A long time ago, when I made very little money, they gave me a card with a limit of ~10% my annual salary. That was fine at the time. As my jobs changed and my salary rose, that limit stayed the same until it was worth less than two days of my salary. They flat out refused my requests for a higher limit. AMEX then gave me a card with a more reasonable limit, while Barclays closed my account because I "wasn't using it enough". :rolleyes:

markonline1 Jan 23rd 2015 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11542180)
Do one what?

You know, do one, foxtrot oscar.

AlphaTangoMike Jan 23rd 2015 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11542489)
You know, do one, foxtrot oscar.

LOL. I do enjoy seeing the phonetic alphabet in use. :lol: