Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barbers / Hair cut styles

Barbers / Hair cut styles

Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:12 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbers / Hair cut styles

Originally Posted by kodokan
Why not? It's ridiculously easy to cut blokes' hair. I've been doing my husband's and son's for many years. It would be even easier to pick it up now there are YouTube videos to watch. The clippers do all the work for the main body of hair; as long as you can hold the clippers/ scissors steady and cut in a straight line to finish off around the neck and ears, there's absolutely nothing that can go wrong.
Do you taper as well or just a block cut?
I have been using the same old fashion barber since 1981. I believe his fee is now up to $14. I give him a ten, five and whatever ones I have. Most of his long time customers, in their 80's may or may not tip a buck.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:51 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

# 1. Whole head from the neck up. Makes life nice and simple.

16 bucks.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Do you taper as well or just a block cut?
I have been using the same old fashion barber since 1981. I believe his fee is now up to $14. I give him a ten, five and whatever ones I have. Most of his long time customers, in their 80's may or may not tip a buck.
I'm self-taught, so don't know bloke hair cut vocabulary - does taper mean to have different lengths blended together so you can't see the join? If so, then yes - hubby has a No5 all over, then I use a No3 to make the lower back a little shorter, and blend it in at around the level of his ears; I come upwards with the clippers and sort of flick them out a bit beyond that point that the skull changes shape (it's vastly easier to do than explain!). Then I use naked clippers to edge around the back of the neck, and scissors to go around the ears.

My son's gone more complicated in recent years - he now wants hair that's too long to be clippered, in something resembling a style (left a bit longer and floppier on top/ front). But even basic scissor cuts are fairly easy, although a little more demanding than clippering.

Honestly, none of this is hard. I expect the level of hair cutting I can do is taught in the first 2-3 days of a vocational cosmetology course, and easily learned by not very studious 16 year olds not paying that much attention. Decent scissors really help, but a solid pair of hairdressing scissors on Amazon costs less than one hair cut.

Although much of this is convenience now rather than cost-saving like it was in our early days; hubby always seems to suddenly need a haircut on a Sunday before leaving for a week's business trip. And when we lived in Switzerland, it was one less thing he had to try and accomplish in his toddler French.

Last edited by kodokan; Jan 26th 2017 at 12:54 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
As said previously, the numbers are the same. $11 for my haircut, I give him $15. I don't recommend buying clippers and getting your wife to do it unless, A she's a hairdresser, B you are getting a blade 1 all over C you want a shit haircut.
Honestly, it's fine. When I was kid and had longer hair with a parting, my Mum would make a mess of it, and I told her to stop cutting it. Then again, the hairdressers who did it instead kept accidentally putting steps in the back.

These days, I have it clippered all over, something like 6mm on top and 4mm on the back and sides. My wife is perfectly capable of doing that, and is almost certainly better at it than the hairdressers who cut my hair when I was a teenager.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure how those super cut places only charge $10 and still pay their staff minimum wage. They never look that busy.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I am not sure how those super cut places only charge $10 and still pay their staff minimum wage. They never look that busy.
My understanding is that the staff are independent contractors who pay to rent a space from the salon, and your transaction is with the individual hairdresser, so avoiding minimum wage requirements. I could be wrong, though.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
My understanding is that the staff are independent contractors who pay to rent a space from the salon, and your transaction is with the individual hairdresser, so avoiding minimum wage requirements. I could be wrong, though.
That's how the super cheap places in the UK operated. It's likely similar here.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, it's fine. When I was kid and had longer hair with a parting, my Mum would make a mess of it, and I told her to stop cutting it. Then again, the hairdressers who did it instead kept accidentally putting steps in the back.

These days, I have it clippered all over, something like 6mm on top and 4mm on the back and sides. My wife is perfectly capable of doing that, and is almost certainly better at it than the hairdressers who cut my hair when I was a teenager.
She manages to blend in the 2 lengths ok? Where I found getting your wife to cut your hair shows is the back. I now get the back tapered, there's no way I'd let my missus try and do that LOL
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by markonline1
She manages to blend in the 2 lengths ok? Where I found getting your wife to cut your hair shows is the back. I now get the back tapered, there's no way I'd let my missus try and do that LOL
Yes, just fine. She does a good job, though it helps that the difference in length isn't that big.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, that's how it works, they get something like $2 from that $10 and rely on tips though. Well the place in town, person said that's how it worked there.

At the fancy ladies salon, they ladies rent a spot at about $3K but take all the fee's. Wasn't sure if that was the weekly rate though.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 1:49 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Both my wife and daughter are licensed cosmetologists and it varies from booth renters (who pay a weekly/monthly rent for a 'chair' and basic services but take all the money) up to full time employees (typically on basic wage + commission).
Old Jan 27th 2017, 1:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
And how much to tip? 15%?

I just pay what they ask every single time. I say if they don't feel its enough, to up my price as I don't do tipping.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 2:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
..... I just pay what they ask every single time. I say if they don't feel its enough, to up my price as I don't do tipping.
Would you pay more to be fetched from the curb in a wheelchair?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 2:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, that's how it works, they get something like $2 from that $10 and rely on tips though. Well the place in town, person said that's how it worked there. .....
Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Both my wife and daughter are licensed cosmetologists and it varies from booth renters (who pay a weekly/monthly rent for a 'chair' and basic services but take all the money) up to full time employees (typically on basic wage + commission).
It also depends what the state allows. Pennsylvania, and I believe some other states in that area (north of here) (ETA also NJ), do not allow booth renting, though I do not know whether or how that is enforced.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 27th 2017 at 2:12 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Right on cue... A $5.99 hair cut coupon in the mail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.