British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Barack Hussain Obama........... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/barack-hussain-obama-413452/)

Silly Sod Dec 13th 2006 4:29 pm

Barack Hussain Obama...........

Seems to be the hot topic lately. With my leftty liberal leanings I think I like him, though he looks a bit slimy and smiles like a crocodile. In a country as institutionally racist as america though I can't see him ever getting the top job. It would be good if he did I suppose. The arguement that he is inexperienced holds no weight after two bush's and a Ronnie Raygun have made such a cock up of things. Maybe just for the national psyche it would be good to have a mixed race president for a few days (hours/minutes/seconds) before some redneck assasinates him. Any thoughts BE?

Maz Dec 13th 2006 4:34 pm

Re: Barack Hussain Obama...........

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Seems to be the hot topic lately. With my leftty liberal leanings I think I like him, though he looks a bit slimy and smiles like a crocodile. In a country as institutionally racist as america though I can't see him ever getting the top job. It would be good if he did I suppose. The arguement that he is inexperienced holds no weight after two bush's and a Ronnie Raygun have made such a cock up of things. Maybe just for the national psyche it would be good to have a mixed race president for a few days (hours/minutes/seconds) before some redneck assasinates him. Any thoughts BE?

He's our junior US senator and exceedingly popular in IL. Is Hussain really his middle name?... uh oh, that would be great news for the blinkered ones who want to somehow tie his name with Saddam Hussein's!

Obama would get my vote before H. Clinton. :)

britvic Dec 13th 2006 4:39 pm

Dont you think it rather strange, Barack rymes with Iraq, Hussain well lets not go there, and Obama to close to Osama :eek:

anotherlimey Dec 13th 2006 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
He's our junior US senator and exceedingly popular in IL. Is Hussain really his middle name?... uh oh, that would be great news for the blinkered ones who want to somehow tie his name with Saddam Hussein's!

Obama would get my vote before H. Clinton. :)

It is Hussein, and he went to school for a few years in Indonesia.... he's clearly a terrorist in disguise.

gruffbrown Dec 13th 2006 4:40 pm

I actually like Obama, as for slimey, he is a politician, so it's all about degrees I guess. I noticed Oprah has jumped on the bandwagon early.

TruBrit Dec 13th 2006 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I actually like Obama, as for slimey, he is a politician, so it's all about degrees I guess. I noticed Oprah has jumped on the bandwagon early.

hm yep i kind of like him also. i first noticed him a few mths ago and have been following his progress..... don't know just how far he'll go but hey with politics who knows it's anyones game :p

Silly Sod Dec 13th 2006 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

Not suprising really. That woman makes my teeth itch. :scared:

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2006 5:09 pm

Not suprising really. That woman makes my teeth itch. :scared:

Palosi I think sands a chance of replacing Bush as my most despised Politician.

You wonder if there is not something inherently wrong with a system that allows slime balls to come so far.

Kate2112 Dec 13th 2006 5:16 pm

He has more chance of winning the lottery than winning a presidential race IMO. US is definately not ready for a black faced president, too racist. Much as I would like to see HC give it a go, IMO she has too much baggage ie gender, philandering husband and an agenda which would include huge public spending on reforming healthcare. While many want and need the healthcare reforms, many more are libertarian and prefer less government interference than more. Hope I'm wrong.

gruffbrown Dec 13th 2006 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
He has more chance of winning the lottery than winning a presidential race IMO. US is definately not ready for a black faced president, too racist. Much as I would like to see HC give it a go, IMO she has too much baggage ie gender, philandering husband and an agenda which would include huge public spending on reforming healthcare. While many want and need the healthcare reforms, many more are libertarian and prefer less government interference than more. Hope I'm wrong.

Not forgetting too young.

Sarah Dec 13th 2006 5:31 pm

I like him a lot. I love the fact that he told his peeps that they couldn't fly on corporate-sponsored private jets anymore and they all had to go on regular airlines with everyone else. Have you seen his 2004 keynote speech at the Democratic convention? If not I strongly recommend you watch it - I thought it was awesome. You Tube Has it here, official Obama site has it here

TruBrit Dec 13th 2006 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
I like him a lot. I love the fact that he told his peeps that they couldn't fly on corporate-sponsored private jets anymore and they all had to go on regular airlines with everyone else. Have you seen his 2004 keynote speech at the Democratic convention? If not I strongly recommend you watch it - I thought it was awesome. You Tube Has it here, official Obama site has it here

yes i remember watching that, it's early days for him but given time i think he'll do well.

Sarah Dec 13th 2006 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes i remember watching that, it's early days for him but given time i think he'll do well.

I just hope he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't get swept up in it all and loses sight of what he's there for.

gruffbrown Dec 13th 2006 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
I just hope he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't get swept up in it all and loses sight of what he's there for.

Indeedy, or some skeleton in the closet.

Bob Dec 13th 2006 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
He's our junior US senator and exceedingly popular in IL. Is Hussain really his middle name?...

Well Bin Laden's brother, by the same name owns half of Boston :D